If Your Pedals Are Too Close Together...

I also gotta say this:  I was looking at some of the related videos and I keep forgetting that that guy can really play that thing.

For all the humor to be found in it, and the battery-type thing, if you want to get out there and "out-tone" him, go ahead - and now more and more power supplies are coming with a special attenuator jack to run certain effects with a specified amount of lowered power, and there are three and four-channel amps attempting to duplicate the rigs that Johnson and Steve Morse cooked up around 1983 or so. This stuff didn't used to exist, and the reason it now does is to try to imitate innovations that are now almost 30 years old.

I guess what I was getting at was that it would be nice to have that kind of room, since 99.5% of working guitarists don't. I also think Eric's got more than a little OCD. And I don't mean the pedal. 

Another Rig Rundown video features Guthrie Govan, no tone slouch, whose pedal board was a tea tray, some of whose residents were chosen on the basis of space over tone.

It also sometimes strikes me as 'reverse boutiqing' (should patent that phrase), trying to purify and elevate things that were knowingly made cheaply and quickly (like, say, _guitars_). When you spend hundreds to improve the sound of a pedal made for far, far less, who's really winning in that situation? Gear manufacturers.

Yes, people are now making modern versions of things, but these products are still considered inferior to the 'vintage' ones. Often with little or no quantifiable proof to back their claims. I think people make emotional and ideological investments in things that literally and figuratively aren't worth it.

I watch these videos where guys have tons of gear (that they were usually given for endorsement), and all I can think is "What % of the audience can hear the difference?" and "How many guitarists will buy all this stuff only to sell it when the Next Great Thing comes along?"

Without the writing ability, it's all just a bunch of notes - there are all kinds of hotshot guitarists who really need to start/join a band, and I think they get that - Satriani, Bonamassa etc. Is it just possible that a 2-hour guitar solo is losing it's religion?  I am awed by Slash, who has parlayed one great intro (SCo'M) and two good solos (SCo'M & November Rain) into a total recognition as one of the greatest guitarists ever. If I'd a just known a hat full of curls & an earring in yer nose could turbocharge a career like THAT.... Actually November Rain is kind of dull, it's the same solo about 2,000 other people would've thought of.

I never 'got' Slash either. Even the GnR book Watch You Bleed says that he plays the same solo on every song. 
I would credit him with reviving the Les Paul, but the one he rose to fame with was a copy. Speaking of which, the last time he was here in Hong Kong, he was nearly denied entry to a club for being a (poor) Slash imitator: http://mindontherun.blogspot.com/2010/08/its-wig-missus-and-i-went-to-see-slash.html

But at least he uses singers rather than do the job himself. I never really could stand the singing of Johnson, Landreth, Satriani, etc. Paul Gilbert is okay, but just okay. I'd much rather hear them play. That said, I've never been able to listen to Yngwie play for more than 5 minutes at a time (though _his_ Rig Rundown is priceless, if for all the wrong reasons). One thing I really appreciate about Paul Gilbert is his brevity (and humility).
Actually, I don't even really listen to Eric Johnson any more. The 1984 Austin City Limits Cliffs of Dover was a benchmark (to me), and since then it's just not the same.

More than 10 tears ago, but fewer than a billion years ago, the shifting of the continents blocked warm equatorial waters from traveling North and South.  The result, the Earth froze.  Being covered in ice, the white hue refelected any solar radiation back into space, making it even colder.  Mrs. Deluxe Custom asked, "Did that really happen?"  I replied, "I don't know, but someone smarter than you or I said it, so we can't really argue with them."

whitebison66 said:
Actually, I don't even really listen to Eric Johnson any more. The 1984 Austin City Limits Cliffs of Dover was a benchmark (to me), and since then it's just not the same.

I can't agree more. He shifted his style so drastically after Ah Via Musicom, and I find that everything since then is just not that interesting. As a player, I think he's fantastic, but the his writing has become too melodramatic, for lack of a better word.

whitebison66 said:
One thing I really appreciate about Paul Gilbert is his brevity (and humility).

And his sense of humor. When I saw the cover for Get Off'a My Lawn I literally burst out laughing.

The "Tones" album blew me away.  It will always be a must have for me, but he kind of lost me after that.  Brilliant guitarist, but I guess the new stuff is just over my head.

What's up with the "Slash bash?"  I've always liked his style and chops, and while I think he's influential and decent, I also find him to be highly overrated.

That being said, he must be doing something right, because the man has staying power.  He was never one of my influences, but when I think of a Les Paul, I do think of his tone.

Slash came along at a time when music needed him most. Slash plays with emotion. He is pretty much the anti-virtuoso. Not to the extremes of grunge players but enough. He was straight up rock and roll. Les Paul into a Marshall and no apologies. We experts can pick apart his playing but look at all the other heroes that played sloppy and had signature licks. Music is about emotion and feelings and these players came along when the people needed them most. That is the reason for their rock god status.

pabloman said:
Slash came along at a time when music needed him most. Slash plays with emotion. He is pretty much the anti-virtuoso. Not to the extremes of grunge players but enough. He was straight up rock and roll. Les Paul into a Marshall and no apologies. We experts can pick apart his playing but look at all the other heroes that played sloppy and had signature licks. Music is about emotion and feelings and these players came along when the people needed them most. That is the reason for their rock god status.

Yep, and he plays a Hell of a lot cleaner than Jimmy Page did in some of his most "memorable" performances.

That's what I like about Slash; he makes no apologies for his style or his music.

I'm not the biggest fan of Slash but I will say this to anyone that knocks him, when you create an album's worth of riffs and solos that are timeless 25 years later, and set the tone for an entire generation, then you have every right to critique his playing. Until then, we are all just humble servants at the man's feet.
MULLY
Van Halen is the way I roll though, God bless EVH!!!

I have to agree with Mully About Slash
I am a fan, not a huge fan but a fan, when the CD Appetite for Destruction came out there was nothing like it, it was the best CD released in several years and still sells decent. Slash brought back Riff Rock in a huge way with riffs that are still being learned by the kids today. A lot of guys used to joke about his style of riffing till it dies but he set the bar at a new height.
Do I play his stuff? Every once in a while I will drop into Sweet child or Paradise city but that is just something to bring the tempo of a party up.
That guy set the bar for a lot of guys, Personally I liked his Snakepit and Velvet revolver stuff Better. I think the big part about Appetite that so many people do not see is that Izzy Stradlin put down the background tracks and rhythm, and his style was a huge part of their sound, and that is a good reason Appetite sounds better than any thing they did since.
Personally bringing it back to pedals
I got rid of my mega board yeas ago, I started realizing the over processed sound felt dead to yr ears. I was listening to a band one day and turned to my wife and asked if she heard that background wall of procesing and she looked at me and told me I had that. Well I went home and now I use a chorus, a tube driver and a wah wah. I think that the more pedals you get the more of this background noise is caused by the processing,

Izzy played on the Use Your Illusion stuff too, didn't tour with it.  The Slash bashing comes from his milking of the Appetite stuff.  I guess all good bands are always on the verge of self destruction.  The only tragedy is that his talent was wasted by his best band not doing great things longer.  Before this turns into a "he's better than you'll ever be" or "you can't do what he does" I'd love to watch sports with any of you guys the first time ___________ throws an interception or ____________ walks the bases loaded.  This is the internet.  It's our God given right to say those better than us suck.

It's true, I don't really have a problem with Slash. I could take him or leave him and usually choose to leave him.
There's no way to say this without sounding snarky, but the top hat gag is really kinda old. That doesn't help.

I have a problem with the people who have a problem with my not caring for him or being very impressed (no one here, I mean in real life). It seems like whenever someone asks me how much I love Slash (nice assumption, eh?) and my response is "Meh," they act like I'm wrong/stupid. Yeah, Slash sold a bazillion records. Danny Gatton didn't.

Slash is great at what he does. But what he does simply doesn't interest me. Some of his solo work and some of VR is really great stuff. He writes really great riffs.

But he and Izzy together wrote better ones.

I would second Izzy Stradlin's crucial presence in the GnR sound. I've really enjoyed his solo records, even though his voice isn't so hot (it's still better than mine!). He did actually tour for the Illusions records (though he says his guitars are mixed so low as to be inaudible), at least at first. Axl tried to pay him less for shows because Izzy just stood there. Izzy even subbed for Gilby Clarke when Gilby broke his hand later in the tour.

Izzy got Rick Richards (Georgia Satellites) for his solo records. I like Rick Richards more than Slash.

I love Izzy's solo stuff.  I've got the Ju-Ju Hounds album.  Very Stones meets Black Crowes.  It's interesting too, Izzy wrote alot of that Appetite stuff.  I may come off as a Slash basher, but he's in the hall of fame, kept guitar work guitar work in the hair metal 80s.  He is neither overrated or underrated.  He is what he is, and music history will remember him fondly.

Appetite For Destruction is arguably one of the top 10 best rock records of all time.  It may not be the most technical record out there but it's raw and original. 

I agree completely about AfD; it's a _great_ record.

As for Illusions, I only listen to the songs Izzy wrote or sang on.

Back