Soloist in a PRS-style Dragon Breath stain pattern

It seems doable even with the sealer coat of super glue already applied.
I'm just not sure if it's going to be a functional problem at all.

It should be receiving a neck soon (I hope). I should wait to see how the buttons feel once installed before clear coating them.

With my typical lack of patience I tried sanding a spare button I had already dyed/finished from in prior color experiments.
It's doable, and the wood still gets stained nicely. I tried removing 1mm on each side while keeping the side slanted (wider at the bottom than the top).
It looks nicer and less cramped.
I'll go that route but will wait to receive the neck to see if 1mm per side will be sufficient.

That looks fantastic!  Now you are giving me ideas that are wayyy beyond my ability to execute...

It's getting hot in here....

I got the body back today from Pat Wilkins Guitars.
He did the clear coat on the top, and grainfiller+color matching of the mahogany back+backplate based on Gibson/PRS colors I wanted.

As usual his finishing work is impeccable. This is my 3rd Warmoth body finished by him and I also sent several backplates as well for clear-coating.
At first I wanted to put chrome hardware but given the looks I think black hardware + black pickups is just going to be right about perfect for this one:

index.php

index.php

That's really something. The finish looks like you could fall in like you would in a slow running creek. Outstanding!

docteurseb said:
It's getting hot in here....

I got the body back today from Pat Wilkins Guitars.
He did the clear coat on the top, and grainfiller+color matching of the mahogany back+backplate based on Gibson/PRS colors I wanted.

As usual his finishing work is impeccable. This is my 3rd Warmoth body finished by him and I also sent several backplates as well for clear-coating.
At first I wanted to put chrome hardware but given the looks I think black hardware + black pickups is just going to be right about perfect for this one:

index.php

index.php

Why can I only like this picture once?  This is a fantastic concept and execution!

That is quite possibly the best dragon burst style finish I've seen. You found yourself a genuine artisan, and whatever he charges, he's worth every penny. Fantastic.

Cactus Jack said:
That is quite possibly the best dragon burst style finish I've seen. You found yourself a genuine artisan, and whatever he charges, he's worth every penny. Fantastic.

Thanks, I did the stain. The only thing I didn't do is the clear coat and the grain filling/color of the back.

docteurseb said:
Cactus Jack said:

Thanks, I did the stain. The only thing I didn't do is the clear coat and the grain filling/color of the back.

I just read the FULL post! Wow, you sir, are an artist. I'd put your finish up against anything I've seen. What really grabbed by attention is your finish didn't rob the wood of the chatoyance. I have a few flame tops where I think the finish might be a bit heavy and rob the wood of its character. Your finish accentuates the beauty of the lumber. Wow, fantastic work.

I totally agree. It looks wild, your quite the stain artist and I can only say........... :headbang1: :headbang1:

Thank you !

I remember nearly giving up the first time I tried to do a basic red to yellow fade, and purple/blue finish stain on a test piece.
Nothing worked, the guidelines from TransTint were unhelpful (way too diluted), and there wasn't a lot of info about this fancier color schemes at the time.
Once it works though it becomes quite addictive.
That's why I started sharing the mixing ratios of the recent stain tests I did, that eases the pain/frustration for anyone trying this for the first time.

I'm still a novice.
I'm still having a real hard time finding the correct mixing ratios once I move away from basic colors; heck I still can't seem to be able to get a vivid/saturated cyan color.
I've only done half a dozen fade/gradient finishes on test pieces, a few back plates and truss rod covers, and only two bodies which are the most challenging in a dragon breath pattern.

By the way based on the other Soloist build, the wood tuner buttons will work perfectly fine. It does require being slightly more careful when tuning in order to avoid knocking nearby tuners out of tune but it's a non-issue in practice. That's a relief because making them shorter would have been difficult to do with consistency.

Here we go, finally put it under intense lighting and yeah the chattoyance isn't too bad on this one ;-)

[youtube]https://youtu.be/oRHh4-CoTy0[/youtube]

Neck has shipped. What an exciting week-end it'll be spending quality time rolling fingerboard edges again  :laughing11:

Tuner buttons are progressing, they are sealed with superglue. Next is applying some wipe-on-poly.

Neck arrived, that will definitely do:
MLMGXlz.jpg

Fg2X7gT.jpg

GH7LOYC.jpg

I'll roll the fingerboard today, and then try burnishing. Got to say that even 'as is' the roasted maple neck feels fantastic. I've had ebony, wenge, and RW in the past but this feels very nice. I get why it's popular now, plus it's not awfully dense like those other woods are.

Some of the black hardware parts bought separately and shipped via USPS were in my city two days ago, today they decided to route them 80 miles away :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
No wonder USPS is always near bankruptcy...

Pairs well color-wise:
I didn't put the neck in the neck pocket yet as it's too tight at the moment.
I'll have to sand some of the excess finish in the neck pocket and maybe the neck too:

680awzJ.jpg

WXsxswK.jpg

Just finished sanding the sides of the neck pocket and things fit nicely. It's pretty snug in there but it's easy to put the neck without any resistance. I might slightly sand the neck around the heel for good measure too.

Aside from the nut, the neck is essentially done. More details here:
https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=32108.0

Wood buttons are nearly done as well, just another couple thin layers of wipe-on poly should be enough.

Oh man, I just commented on the neck thread. Can't believe it's going on this body.

Jesus what a guitar.

There is nothing I dislike at all about this. I think it's just wonderful.

Back