What Is Your Favorite Neck Profile?

Cactus Jack

So far I've tried the following all with 1-11/16 nuts:

- Standard Thin: To thin for me as the neck feels like it disappears in my palm.

- Boat: In contrast to Standard Think, the Boat is too thick. I have fairly large hands, but can't wrap my thumb over the top. Also, the V profile was much more pronounced than I expected.

- Wolfgang: I love the asymmetrical feeling, but it feels to thin.

- 59: So far this is my personal favorite. It reminds me more of a G&L Classic profile more than a PRS or Gibson. In fact, I have several Gibsons and maybe it's similar but yet different. It might be a bit more round than by Gibsons...don't know but they feel different. The 59 feels like a nice comfortable Strat neck to me. The only downside is while I can get my thumb over the top, I just barely get it there. I need to think about it and stretch depending on where I'm playing on the neck. It's not bad, but not effortless. 

The neck I really want to try, and think will be my personal goldilocks is the SRV. The SRV seems to be one of the least popular profiles, but I think it might be perfect for me. I'm pretty sure it will be my next purchase.

What's your favorite?

‘59 Roundback, hands down. It is not only my favorite Warmoth profile but my favorite neck profile period. I have 4 presently with one more on order, and then I have two Fender Tele’s with little popsicle stick necks that will be replaced with 59s at some point.

I only have experience with 1 profile and that is the Wolfgang.  Nut width is 1-11/16's

This my first (and only) neck with an asymmetrical profile.  I LOVE it!  Just meaty enough in the right places and just thin enough in those other places.

Curious to try a Standard Thin and a 59 Roundback and see how they compare.

I don't know, but would assume that nut width would play into liking/not liking a given profile as well.  I would guess the wider the nut, the thinner the neck profile to maintain an ergonomic balance for your hand?

The first one I got was a standard thin, but it felt too thin for me.
The next one was a 59, and that's what I've chosen for all my other builds since.

Standard Thin, 1-5/8" (or 1.65"), 12" radius (or 10"-16" compound), 6150 frets. Maple, rosewood, and ebony fingerboards.

I like both standard thin and 59' roundback. What I'd REALLY like  is a "happy medium" profile between them though...

So far I have favored Standard Thin. However I'm seriously considering a 59 for my next personal build. I like whatever is strong enough, but doesn't get in my way. I've never been convinced that a thick neck adds to the sound very much, but I have found evidence that a larger headstock can improve sustain to some degree. The jury is still out on both counts though.

ragamuffin said:
I like both standard thin and 59' roundback. What I'd REALLY like  is a "happy medium" profile between them though...

I think the SRV might be the compromise. It's slightly thicker than the Standard but a bit thinner than the 59. I think the asymmetric design might be a nice feel too.

Has anyone tried the SRV?

It is all subjective and an individual choice. So one mans meat etc...

Personally I like the standard thin. I have had a 59 but found I did not play it as much as I would prefer and so it was sold to another forum member.

My absolute favourite neck profiles would be either on my old eighties Hamer Chapparal Custom or my Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster. The Musicman Steve Morse also is a neck profile that I like a lot.

My green strat has a wizard (aka the #Merlin profile aka #gandolf's repose) but everything else is standard thin. But I don't discrim (short for discriminate), i can prolly shred up on anything.

stratamania said:
...so it was sold to another forum member.

Interesting.  Is there a current section of the forum specifically for this?  I think it would be a great way for people to A) buy 2nd hand necks from people who they trust instead of a random Reverb member, and B) A great way for people to try neck profiles/woods etc. if they knew it would be easier to swap if they didn't like it.

Just curious.

rookosu said:
stratamania said:
...so it was sold to another forum member.

Interesting.  Is there a current section of the forum specifically for this?  I think it would be a great way for people to A) buy 2nd hand necks from people who they trust instead of a random Reverb member, and B) A great way for people to try neck profiles/woods etc. if they knew it would be easier to swap if they didn't like it.

Just curious.

Yes Gear For Sale or Trade.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?board=25.0

Cactus Jack said:
ragamuffin said:

I think the SRV might be the compromise. It's slightly thicker than the Standard but a bit thinner than the 59. I think the asymmetric design might be a nice feel too.

Has anyone tried the SRV?

I almost went with the SRV for my most recent neck but chickened out

I've had a few Standard Thin necks, my LP has a 59, and I just recently bought my second Fatback. The Fatback is by far my favorite! The 59 is nice, and the Standard Thin is my least favorite, but still fairly comfortable and middle of the road compared to a lot of competitors.

stratamania said:
I have had a 59 but found I did not play it as much as I would prefer and so it was sold to another forum member.

That was me, and I've been loving it!  :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 224
Zebra said:
stratamania said:
I have had a 59 but found I did not play it as much as I would prefer and so it was sold to another forum member.

That was me, and I've been loving it!  :icon_thumright:

Excellent and good to see it being put to good use... :eek:ccasion14:

Here's what I tried:

standard thin 1 11/16:  Too thin for my taste.

Clapton 1 11/16:  Depth was ok but the V was too much, and made it feel thinner than it was (it measured 0.85-0.94).  I am more used to softer V shapes, and I found this harder V to be distracting, especially when I played barre chords with my thumb on the middle of the back.

'59 1 5/8:  Very playable for me (mine measures .85-0.96)  I would not want to go deeper with a round profile neck.  I was worried the thinner nut width would be an issue but it's fine.

Like the OP and several others mentioned, the SRV is kinda right in there spec-wise with my preferences and is something I want to try.  Not sure if I will dig the asymmetry or not.

Back