How often does Warmoth change or update their offerings?

Wazatron

I've followed Warmoth for years, but not consistent enough to have a good sense of this. I'm hoping to do a couple builds next year, but I'm a bit gun-shy with the hesitation that as soon as I order my parts they'll release new color or body options that will make me regret I didn't wait a bit longer. :D Nothing unique to Warmoth, it's this way with almost anything. But I am curious how "set" their offerings are, how often they add colors, remove colors, introduce new body shapes, etc. I of course don't expect an actual answer, but I'd appreciate any thoughts or insights here. Thank you!

Things don't change much.

Occasionally things such as a new rout or so do, but not enough to be thinking not to order for fear of missing out on something new. And sometimes some things get discontinued.

So in conclusion...

Just order what you want and don’t look back. If you wait you won’t do anything.

It's a little like watching sand dunes move across the desert. If you stand there and watch you won't see much movement. If you go away for a year and come back you'll notice things have shifted quite a bit....and yet it still kind of looks the same.

haha lots of good thoughts shared here, thank you. I mean there's always room for one more guitar, no? :cool:🤪

haha lots of good thoughts shared here, thank you. I mean there's always room for one more guitar, no? :cool:🤪
Always.

I have guitars at both my primary home and my vacation house. Makes it a lot easier not having to transport instruments every trip! 😁

The biggest thing I can think of with Warmoth is if you see something you like, get it. Things like the Gibson and BC Rich shapes are long gone. The neon colors are gone. Full carved tops are gone. They’ll get batches of flamed Koa, then it’s gone for a while. There’s the current situation with the Blondes and Whites, not to mention all the cool limited stuff like the Purple Tele, Working Man Tele, 40th anniversary dyes, and the Redshifter/Meadowhawk.

I need to follow my own advice and order the Flamed Koa Soloist I’ve been thinking about because the current batch of Koa is selling fast…

The counterpoint is you never know what cool things are coming down the pike, and you don’t want to have to decide between the project you had been planning and the new stuff!

Last edited:
The biggest thing I can think of with Warmoth is if you see something you like, get it. Things like the Gibson and BC Rich shapes are long gone. The neon colors are gone. Full carved tops are gone. They’ll get batches of flamed Koa, then it’s gone for a while. There’s the current situation with the Blondes and Whites, not to mention all the cool limited stuff like the Purple Tele, Working Man Tele, 40th anniversary dyes, and the Redshifter/Meadowhawk.

I need to follow my own advice and order the Flamed Koa Soloist I’ve been thinking about because the current batch of Koa is selling fast…

The counterpoint is you never know what cool things are coming down the pike, and you don’t want to have to decide between the project you had been planning and the new stuff!
The biggest shift I recall is when the shapes got modified and the prs, les paul, sg, Wolfgang, etc got modded.

Everything else is like the sand dunes sited above.

Aaron, just how big is the "off menu" options list? I assume this changes along with workload like the trans paints?

I have a feeling neon colors will be back.
I am seeing trucks with neon yellow and pink wheels and matching accoutrements.
Uh....hello.....1989 called.......they want their style back!! Lol.

I am hoping I can break out my mesh shirts again! Lol

On a serious note, what's the deal with solid Carved tops? I assume that's for the figured maple and stuff? Is it even available of menu as an upcharge?
I mean, I've moved on from wood library guitars, and lean towards solid colors these days, so it's more a curiosity than anything at this point.

The biggest shift I recall is when the shapes got modified and the prs, les paul, sg, Wolfgang, etc got modded.
I assume those changes were the result of legal issues? I’m planning to try a Velocity build, but I do really love the slightly more symmetrical Wolfgang body. I have to imagine this also means those more traditional body shapes won’t be back. Which is of course fine, Warmoth has some sharp bodies, but it’s interesting to learn about and good to keep in mind looking ahead.

On a serious note, what's the deal with solid Carved tops? I assume that's for the figured maple and stuff? Is it even available of menu as an upcharge?

A few years ago, there was a move to double lam tops, mainly due to woods becoming scarcer and more costly. Since then, you might see something in the showcase, but if a solid top can be done for an up charge, it is not an option on the website.

Traditionally the contours of Carved-top laminates were cut from a single piece of figured wood 3/4" thick. However, sourcing woods in this thickness with high-quality, consistent grain figure has become difficult and costly. DL Tops offer an equally beautiful look, with better symmetry than traditional Single Lam Carve-tops, while helping to reduce costs and conserve rare woods.
https://warmoth.com/guitar-lam-tops

I assume those changes were the result of legal issues? I’m planning to try a Velocity build, but I do really love the slightly more symmetrical Wolfgang body. I have to imagine this also means those more traditional body shapes won’t be back. Which is of course fine, Warmoth has some sharp bodies, but it’s interesting to learn about and good to keep in mind looking ahead.
Yeah, they won't be back....ever. lol. And yes, legal issues. I am sure they could fight it, but why?
Plus, why produce something that looks like another company's product. IMO, what they produce now are products that are distinctly warmoth and also familiar at the same time.

I really like the soloist and VIP bodies

These won't be back, as it is a legal issue.

Aaron, just how big is the "off menu" options list? I assume this changes along with workload like the trans paints?

It's not really a question of what we can do (which is pretty much everything any other guitar company can do), but more a question what we will do, and that's determined by how far outside our normal production lanes it goes. We aren't going to agree to do an original body shape based off a sketch. That's way too much R&D time. But there are all kinds of things we will do that don't upset the natural flow of things too much. If you want something you don't see just contact the sales department and they will let you know if we can do it.

The biggest gripes we hear about this come from people who don't understand how large scale production works. They ask for something that sounds simple to them - and is simple when one guy is building one body. When we tell them "no" the get persnickety.

I have a feeling neon colors will be back.
I am seeing trucks with neon yellow and pink wheels and matching accoutrements.
Uh....hello.....1989 called.......they want their style back!! Lol.

I am hoping I can break out my mesh shirts again! Lol

As much as I would love to see you in your mesh half-shirt, the neons won't be back...at least not in their old form. There was an issue with the paint itself that couldn't be resolved.

I mean, I've moved on from wood library guitars, and lean towards solid colors these days, so it's more a curiosity than anything at this point.

Solid 3/4" carved tops are expensive to make. People are willing to pay that on fully-built, prestigious guitars. They aren't as willing to pay it on for an unassembled part. It just doesn't compute in their heads that a body they still have to build themselves should cost so much. The move to double-lams was Ken's solution, to be able to offer a carved top at a more reasonable price. There were feelings from the execs going both ways, so who knows....maybe some day we will offer a true carved top again, but it won't be any time soon.

It's not really a question of what we can do (which is pretty much everything any other guitar company can do), but more a question what we will do, and that's determined by how far outside our normal production lanes it goes. We aren't going to agree to do an original body shape based off a sketch. That's way too much R&D time. But there are all kinds of things we will do that don't upset the natural flow of things too much. If you want something you don't see just contact the sales department and they will let you know if we can do it.

The biggest gripes we hear about this come from people who don't understand how large scale production works. They ask for something that sounds simple to them - and is simple when one guy is building one body. When we tell them "no" the get persnickety.
Does something like a Floyd Shelf on a 1.650” fall into the former or later? ;)

I’m can’t wait for the new studio to be setup, I’m such a Warmoth nerd I watch your videos as soon as you upload them.

Does something like a Floyd Shelf on a 1.650” fall into the former or later? ;)

I’m can’t wait for the new studio to be setup, I’m such a Warmoth nerd I watch your videos as soon as you upload them.

I have been wondering the same thing about the 1.650. I think we would do it but I am not 100% sure.

Here is a sneak peek:

20221121_094934.jpg

I have been wondering the same thing about the 1.650. I think we would do it but I am not 100% sure.

Here is a sneak peek:

View attachment 58907
That’s a nice desk/stand setup!

I’ve noticed other guitar makers like LTD will have a 1.650” Floyd, so that got me interested. An R2 and an R3 are the same string spacing, right? So an R2 on a 1.650” wouldn’t be that weird other than the slight gap on the two edges of the shelf where the nut stops.

That’s a nice desk/stand setup!

I’ve noticed other guitar makers like LTD will have a 1.650” Floyd, so that got me interested. An R2 and an R3 are the same string spacing, right? So an R2 on a 1.650” wouldn’t be that weird other than the slight gap on the two edges of the shelf where the nut stops.

Yes, R2 and R3 are the same spacing, but different nut widths. So you would put an R2 on a 1.650" nut, and there would be, like, .5mm (or less) extra shelf on either side.

I've got an ESP with a 1.650" nut width and a Floyd nut, and the gap is inconsequential. The only complication would be constantly explaining it to customers and trying assuage the ones who's undies become twisted when it doesn't fit perfectly down to the gnat's eyelash. I think that is what keeps Warmoth from offering it as a standard option.

Incidentally, the nut on my ESP is also attached with wood screws from the top rather than bolted from below. It breaks all of Warmoth's "rules". LOL.

I think R3 actually has wider spacing.

Attachments

• BFCBACC8-C5E7-4E2B-B79F-92FCE48A1253.jpeg
    BFCBACC8-C5E7-4E2B-B79F-92FCE48A1253.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 8
These won't be back, as it is a legal issue.

As much as I would love to see you in your mesh half-shirt, the neons won't be back...at least not in their old form. There was an issue with the paint itself that couldn't be resolved.

Solid 3/4" carved tops are expensive to make. People are willing to pay that on fully-built, prestigious guitars. They aren't as willing to pay it on for an unassembled part. It just doesn't compute in their heads that a body they still have to build themselves should cost so much. The move to double-lams was Ken's solution, to be able to offer a carved top at a more reasonable price. There were feelings from the execs going both ways, so who knows....maybe some day we will offer a true carved top again, but it won't be any time soon.
C'mon, you know you wanna see my shirt, lol.
It's a full one too! A half shirt is just.....well..... not me.
It's a chams too. Lol

I may or may not have a pair or three of those short single color shorts with the white piping/banding.

j/k

But I am old enough to remember all that malarkey.

Back