High spot on neck

line6man

Epic Member
Dammit!  :sad1: :sad:

i got my bass back from being setup today.
it turns out that there is a high spot somewhere around the 1st or second fret that cannot be fixed.
it buzzes like crazy at the first fret on the D and G strings.

it looks like i have 3 options, all of which are going to cost me a lot of money.

1. have the epoxy sanded down at the first fret area.
if i do this, the epoxy will never be as shiny as it is now.

2. have the epoxy completly sanded off, then level out that area and re-epoxy.

3. buy a new neck.

any ideas?

i already talked to warnoth, and the warranty on the neck is voided because its epoxied...

I would think that sanding the high spot down would be the best option. With proper sanding and polishing, it should look new.

I think. CB? Jack? Other?

Orpheo said:
was it there when you bought the neck?

i have no idea...

i didnt want to play the neck before it was epoxied, plus i had the guy install the tuners for me after he epoxied it.

Applying the epoxy would add a few thousandths to the fingerboard.  How did the tech level the board after the finish was applied?  It can be easy to have high and/or low spots.  I've done my own CA finish on a fretless neck and encountered this myself. 

It sounds like this would be more of a warranty issue with the tech than Warmoth.

Wyliee said:
Applying the epoxy would add a few thousandths to the fingerboard.  How did the tech level the board after the finish was applied?  It can be easy to have high and/or low spots.  I've done my own CA finish on a fretless neck and encountered this myself. 

It sounds like this would be more of a warranty issue with the tech than Warmoth.

ok, so its possible that he didnt level out the epoxy right when he did it?

on the one hand, the neck was a "factory 2nd" neck because of the flaw in the fretlines, so the idea that the neck is shaped off wierd is plausible.
however, warmoth is pretty good with their QC, and this kind of thing is done on a CNC so it should be perfect.

so it could be the epoxy work.

the high spot is very very faint...
he showed me with his straight edge and it rocked ever so slightly, but the bass sure as hell buzzed even with such a tiny difference in height.

This is the guy that charges $200+ to put epoxy on necks? And now it's not flat, so it can't be sanded and it can't be returned because it's covered in epoxy? Shouldn't this be on the "epoxy-guy forum"? :icon_scratch:

http://www.hisreflection.org/dontfrettt/index.html

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=4001.0
if any of you guys want a fingerboard epoxied, have Sam Horn of Don't Frettt do it.
as you can see, he does excellent work.

stubhead said:
This is the guy that charges $200+ to put epoxy on necks? And now it's not flat, so it can't be sanded and it can't be returned because it's covered in epoxy? Shouldn't this be on the "epoxy-guy forum"? :icon_scratch:

http://www.hisreflection.org/dontfrettt/index.html

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=4001.0
if any of you guys want a fingerboard epoxied, have Sam Horn of Don't Frettt do it.
as you can see, he does excellent work.

i dont want to start any arguements or anything, but:

"This is the guy that charges $200+ to put epoxy on necks?"
he does a far better job than i ever could, so for me its definatly worth the cost. and 200 is not a bad price either considering the other guys that do epoxy. (at least from what i have seen)

"And now it's not flat, so it can't be sanded and it can't be returned because it's covered in epoxy?"

it CAN be sanded, but the epoxy will lose its natural shine and it wont ever be able to be polished up as shiny as it was.
it cant be returned to warmoth because i voided the warranty by epoxy-ing it.

he really does do an excellent job with the epoxy though.

i talked with him, and thru all my setup problems, he has been convinced that the luthier doesnt know what he is doing.
i sent him some pictures of the nut and saddles, and it looks like the nut is too low and the saddles too high.
in my opinion, the hand cut nut looks pretty half-assed as well.

i am going to send the whole bass out to Sam, and he is going to take a look.

there could be 3 possible scenarios:

1. the nut is indeed too low, and the luthier doesnt know how to setup a fretless.
in that case, he will raise the nut and set it up the right way.

2. the epoxy is uneven.
he said he will stand by his warranty, so he will sand and re-epoxy it for me.

3. the neck/fingerboard is uneven.
he did sand the radius down for me so that the epoxy wouldnt run to the edges, so i guess he would be liable to re sand and epoxy it.

line6man said:

1. the nut is indeed too low, and the luthier doesnt know how to setup a fretless.

2. the epoxy is uneven.

he did sand the radius down for me so that the epoxy wouldnt run to the edges, so i guess he would be liable to re sand and epoxy it.

It sounds like you're getting a second opinion.  That's a good move. 

The three options you laid out would seem plausible with the information presented.  I have hope you will find a resolution in short order.

Wyliee said:
line6man said:

2. the epoxy is uneven.

he did sand the radius down for me so that the epoxy wouldn't run to the edges, so i guess he would be liable to re-sand and epoxy it.

It sounds like you're getting a second opinion.  That's a good move. 

The three options you laid out would seem plausible with the information presented.  I have hope you will find a resolution in short order.

+1 - It would appear you're heading in the right direction. Good fortune to you - it's a gorgeous bass!

Back