59 vs boatneck neck profile

I am deciding between a 59 or a boatneck for a strat build. My favorite shape that I own is off of a 54 Les Paul that is 1 11/16” and .92 depth at the first feet. I am intrigued with the boatneck but I’m afraid it would be too chunky. I didn’t know how the shoulders compare to a chunky Gibson profile. I was even thinking of going with a 1 3/4” but width. I own that size in a Wolfgang but the neck is too thin for me especially after getting used to my Les Paul.

Sometimes I feel like a Strat should just have a thinner neck. I also own a Stat with a 1.650” Large C (.850 at first fret). I could use a little more depth and width than that neck but I don’t want it to feel drastically different when switching between Strats. Thanks for any input!!

If I were you, which I am not, but going by what you have said; A 1 11/16", 59 profile, would be the closest option.

Aside from that, all choices of neck profiles, widths, and shapes are entirely subjective.

I have requested this post be moved to General discussion, as there is no Tech Talk involved in the question.

Boatneck seems more V where the 59 and Fatback seem more C. I have a 1-11/16” Fatback, I never thought I’d like a neck this big but it’s fantastic.

I think a 59 is a reasonably safe choice if standard thin is too thin and you want a bigger C shaped neck.

If you like the 1 3/4 (as I do!) then you'll love the 1 7/8 (as I do). Try that with the wolfgang profile. If you are going to play thumb over stuff, then the 1 5/8 with a baseball bat profile is what I would use. The only way to really know for yourself is to try.

as Mr DarkSide has said, the boatneck is more of a soft V, whereas the 59 is more of a C. I've tried both and ended up with the boatneck. I actually have 7 guitars with a boatneck on them. For me, life is good :)

as Mr DarkSide has said, the boatneck is more of a soft V, whereas the 59 is more of a C. I've tried both and ended up with the boatneck. I actually have 7 guitars with a boatneck on them. For me, life is good :)
I started on a fat back, only because the '99 internet told me the boatneck was very v shaped.

Next time up, it was between thev59 and the boat. Again I didn't choose the boat out of fear (of what, I don't know or remember).

Third time's the charm! I got the boat neck. It's my favorite of the 3. The depth is great for grabbing chords and barres. The lack of shoulder makes the neck disappear while playing single note stuff.

I'd love to have a .95 to .96 version.

My first 2 were 1 11/16 nuts, while the third is 1.65". I don't notice that much of a difference honestly. Apparently, the nut widths affect the overall neck shape, with wider feeling chunkier. I could tell you though, since I only own 1 of each.

Next up will be another boatneck or maybe an srv

Back