Help with a neck wood choice for Walnut Strat

FatJ

Hello.  I was wondering what everyone here thinks of a Solid Rosewood Warmoth for a Walnut Strat?

Warmoth recommends a Ebony fingerboard with Walnut on the neck woods page. I guess that would be a Maple or Walnut   neck with Ebony fingerboard?

I do like the way an Solid Rosewood neck and fingerboard looks together with Walnut, however I am just wondering why Rosewood isn't a  suggested  to compliment Walnut in tone?
Is is because the Ebony matches so much better tonewise, or maybe because Walnut and Rosewood together is a bad idea for good tone?

What ARE some preferred body woods for an all Rosewood neck?

Thanks.

I'm building a Walnut/Bubinga body, and I'm going to be ordering an Indian Rosewood/Ebony neck for it.

Marko insists it will balance out, and also, that a Pau Ferro neck would be too bright.

Where were you seeing suggestions for neck woods to pair with Walnut bodies? :icon_scratch:

I saw it under Neckwood options under Walnut.
It  doesn't specify what neck wood, jut Ebony as a fingerboard wood. Like I say, for the neck wood, I'm assuming Maple, or either mahogany, going from one extreme to another.
Interesting you say Pau Ferro would b2 bright? Ive heard it would work well as a fingerboard w/ Walnut..hmm.

Just wondering about the all 100% Rosewood neckwood  mainly. If it wouldnt work with Walnut, what would it be best on?

BTW , who is 'Marco'?
Thanks

and I still insist..

you cant go wrong with a rosewood or wenge neck with an ebony fb

if you prefer a "lighter" look, consider Goncalo (or Canary, which will be much brighter)

FatJ said:
Interesting you say Pau Ferro would b2 bright? Ive heard it would work well as a fingerboard w/ Walnut..hmm.

As a fretboard alone, it would probably make no difference.
Most people around here pick fretboard woods for looks and feel, not tone.

line6man said:

Then 'most people' would be wrong. :eek:ccasion14:

I seriously doubt Warmoth means a "solid" Ebony  neck with their recommendation for a Ebony neck with Walnut.
I recall reading Warmoth has stated that thier figured tops do not influence tone to any significant degree, however I have not seen any similar official remark about fretboard wood.

FatJ said:
line6man said:

Then 'most people' would be wrong. :eek:ccasion14:

I seriously doubt Warmoth means a "solid" Ebony  neck with their recommendation for a Ebony neck with Walnut.
I recall reading Warmoth has stated that thier figured tops do not influence tone to any significant degree, however I have not seen any similar official remark about fretboard wood.

Everyone has a different opinion on the tonewoods argument, but if you hang around this forum for a while, most people here pick fretboards on looks and feel.  You cannot prove it to be right or wrong, and you're welcome to your opinion, but that's how this forum generally works.

Also, UnofficialWarmoth is exactly that. This forum does not necessarily reflect Warmoth's official statements.

^ 'QUOTE'-"Also, UnofficialWarmoth is exactly that. This forum does not necessarily reflect Warmoth's official statements. -'END QUOTE'

For realz? last time I was here this foum was quite stricly policed by Warmoth.Com.

Ebony pretty much goes with anything.

How about an all Bubinga neck?  I think it is one of the best looking woods out there, and it's middle of the road tonewise.

FatJ said:
^ 'QUOTE'-"Also, UnofficialWarmoth is exactly that. This forum does not necessarily reflect Warmoth's official statements. -'END QUOTE'

For realz? last time I was here this foum was quite stricly policed by Warmoth.Com.

???

Quite the opposite. The moderators here prefer to let the forum work out it's own problems, so rarely does Warmoth take any action.
I'm not sure how that would have any relation to people's preferred criteria of choosing wood combos? What does that have to do with anything, for that matter? Are you suggesting that Warmoth should remove any postings by members who have an opinion or preference that does not reflect the view of the company? That's why this is an unofficial discussion board. Members are free to have whatever opinions they want about tonewoods.

I think you're misinterpreting the "neck woods" page.

It means a Walnut neck mates well with an ebony fb.

Back