Halfmoth J-bass project

Rounded the edges. Obviously I need to do some sanding and such to remove scorchmarks and smooth everything out but it's really starting to take shape. :)

Yesterday some pickup cavity router templates that I ordered a month ago (finally) showed up so it was time to make some progress again.

The cavities turned out fine. No tear outs or anything nasty like that. It's just that while I used a 3/8'' template bit for the corners it appears that I need to use something with an even smaller radius. I don't seem to be able to fit a pickup cover in the cavities because of it. It sucks because templates bits don't go smaller than this and I dread the thought of having to do something freehand.
But no panic. It's better to have to remove some more wood than the other way around.

I also have a pair of stewmac templates under way. I assume they'll be slightly different because they claim that you only need a 1/2'' and a 3/8'' bit. Would be interesting to compare them.

To be continued...

baskruit said:
Inspired by some youtube videos I built my own planer and this version seems to be good enough. Any imperfections left on the surface should be easily removed with some sanding.

That looks great!

Links to the videos on the planer would be greatly appreciated, if you still have them.

ognolman said:
baskruit said:
Inspired by some youtube videos I built my own planer and this version seems to be good enough. Any imperfections left on the surface should be easily removed with some sanding.

That looks great!

Links to the videos on the planer would be greatly appreciated, if you still have them.
Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ozyIIhMZMJA&hl

Okay, the step I feared the most: Making the tummy cut.
All done with a rasp, sand paper and a lot of elbow grease.

I'll probably round the edges a bit more, maybe making it slightly deeper as well but overall I'm quite happy with the result.

After the tummy cut I was like, "Let's get that forearm contour over with" so I did.
Both are a bit more subtle than 'stock' but I'm happy with it, especially since the body is slimmer than usual.

For the record: After making the pickup cavities, tummy cut and forearm contour the weight has gone down from 9.6 to 9.0 lbs.

NonsenseTele said:
I'd make a bigger forearm contour.

How big is your tele's forearm contour? :p
Just kidding. While I totally understand that you (and maybe others) might think that, the Squier body that's been modelling for this one has not only a similar thickness but a forearm contour like this as well and it works nicely.
Of course, I know it's a modest contour but I'm also scared that if I go further I might overdo it. These are the first forearm contour and tummy cut I've ever made so I'm a little anxious about pushing it. :)

Who knows, I might make it bigger somewhere during the next couple of days. It's how it works for me. I need a some time to build up courage to proceed with the next step since this is all new to me. But I can certainly live with how it is now.

About finishing: First of all, the body isn't ready yet.
- I need to tweak the pickup cavities to that pickups will actually fit
- Route the control cavity (waiting for the router templates to arrive)
- Drill all necessary holes. I need to take the body to my brother in law for that because he owns a drill press.
- Then a lot of sanding.

I have no idea yet how to finish the body. A main reason why I chose to use bubinga is that it doesn't necessarily need a hard finish so all options are open. I may just rub in some wax but on the other hand it would be nice to have some protection against nicks and dents. Opinions are welcome!

Fixed the issue with the pickup cavities by just routing them like 1/32'' wider. Good enough for me.

this thing is really starting to look awesome! Did the W neck already come in?

also, in terms of finish - I normally really don't like glossy finishes but I feel like the look of the wood calls for it. But i think just any kind of clear finish is really what that baby needs.

dNA said:
this thing is really starting to look awesome! Did the W neck already come in?

also, in terms of finish - I normally really don't like glossy finishes but I feel like the look of the wood calls for it. But i think just any kind of clear finish is really what that baby needs.

If the neck had arrived, you would have heard about it, I can guarantee you that.  :icon_smile:
I ordered it four weeks ago so it will probably take another few weeks before it's shipped and through customs.

Definitely a clear finish. I think a glossy finish would be my top choice but I also think it would be the hardest to pull off, especially since I have no prior experience in finishing whatsoever. On the other hand, a lack of experience hasn't stopped me so far... I have a good chunk of bubinga left and I will make some samples first.

well i think a glossy body and a raw neck won't look as nice together. w/ a raw neck i'd go for that all natural look.
either way, that thing is going to be killer when it's done man. nice work

Back