Halfmoth J-bass project

Interstate Joe said:
That thing looks killer. very nice job. Maybe I missed it, but what's the final weight?
I'll need to weigh it in parts. The kitchen scale can't handle it.
But it's heavy, that's for sure. I'll try to determine the exact weight later.

dNA said:
alright man! that looks great!
i forget, did you decide to forgo a pickguard?
I won't use a pickguard. Unless... I need to route the neck pickup cavity a bit wider. I basically had to hammer the pickup in there. If I mess that up, it'll get a pickguard :)

baskruit said:
dNA said:
alright man! that looks great!
i forget, did you decide to forgo a pickguard?
I won't use a pickguard. Unless... I need to route the neck pickup cavity a bit wider. I basically had to hammer the pickup in there. If I mess that up, it'll get a pickguard :)

understood. i could see a wooden pickguard going on there. I just have trouble seeing that body shape with a pickguard or some kind of finish to give it more form. But I'll get over it.  :icon_jokercolor:

baskruit said:
Interstate Joe said:
That thing looks killer. very nice job. Maybe I missed it, but what's the final weight?

If you have a bathroom scale, weigh yourself, then strap on the bass and weigh yourself again. The difference is the bass's weight. Won't tell you to the ounce, but it'll be close enough for government work.

Cagey said:
baskruit said:
Interstate Joe said:

If you have a bathroom scale, weigh yourself, then strap on the bass and weigh yourself again. The difference is the bass's weight. Won't tell you to the ounce, but it'll be close enough for government work.

Yeah, but our bathroom scale is notoriously unreliable so I don't bother. :)

Most bathroom scales are better used as indicators rather than measurement devices, but you're only looking for a relative value, not trying to cut up a pound of high-grade ummm... butterscotch... for distribution <grin>

Cagey said:
Most bathroom scales are better used as indicators rather than measurement devices, but you're only looking for a relative value, not trying to cut up a pound of high-grade ummm... butterscotch... for distribution <grin>
It's an electronic scale and when measuring my weight twice in a row, it's known for giving me two different answers. Could easily be 2-3 lbs more or less.

tubby.twins said:
Looks nice!  I don't think I've ever seen a Jazz style bass with the Kahler bridge before.  Very cool.
Actually, it's your praise about Kahler bridges that made me consider it.
Not impressed by the level of detail though: It's manufactured pretty crude with rough edges, some screws that didn't turn as smoothly as they should, a base that needed some bending but I do like the design. Very adjustable and once everything is in place, it's solid as a rock.

baskruit said:
Cagey said:
It's an electronic scale and when measuring my weight twice in a row, it's known for giving me two different answers. Could easily be 2-3 lbs more or less.
Oh, ok. I know what you mean. We actually have two bathroom scales here, and one of them is an overly fancy electronic one that's pretty imaginative about reporting weights. I never use it because you can't trust what it tells you. I bought the second one because of that, and it's just a regular old analog Health-O-Meter. Doesn't do anything fancy at all, doesn't need any setup and doesn't need batteries. You just step on it and it tells you how much you weigh.

baskruit said:
Actually, it's your praise about Kahler bridges that made me consider it.
Not impressed by the level of detail though: It's manufactured pretty crude with rough edges, some screws that didn't turn as smoothly as they should, a base that needed some bending but I do like the design. Very adjustable and once everything is in place, it's solid as a rock.

Yeah, I noticed the same things about another Kahler bridge that I recently purchased.  The older ones were better...    :|

Cagey said:
baskruit said:
Cagey said:
Oh, ok. I know what you mean. We actually have two bathroom scales here, and one of them is an overly fancy electronic one that's pretty imaginative about reporting weights. I never use it because you can't trust what it tells you. I bought the second one because of that, and it's just a regular old analog Health-O-Meter. Doesn't do anything fancy at all, doesn't need any setup and doesn't need batteries. You just step on it and it tells you how much you weigh.

I gave it a try anyway and it's somewhere between 12 and 13 lbs... I will need a wider strap for this bass.

I installed dunlop dual design straplocks and played it a while yesterday. Bridge needs some adjustment on the g-string, electronics need some tweaking and I'm not overly happy with how the E-string sounds, especially in the first 4 or 5 positions. As if there's something rattling. My MM Sterling does that too.

I love how it looks though. I can still hardly believe how well it turned out if you overlook a few tiny flaws. It would almost be a shame to finish the body but it would be good to give it some protection.

Back