Halfmoth J-bass project

Not only did I see my brother for the first time in almost six year this morning (he lives in Virginia), he also brought me something for this build.

index.php

It's a bird!
It's a plane!
No! It's... a bridge?

Man, I wish my hardware could fly

The control cavity routing templates arrived a couple of days ago. They've been shipped in April and were AWOL for a while but finally some progress.

Learned (again) that taking shortcuts WILL slap you in the face with brute force.
Like slipping templates because they weren't properly taped to the body, or choosing not to make copies out of thicker MDF which resulted in damaging the original template (still usable though, thank goodness) but the end result is more than satisfactory.

Weight down to 8.2lbs.

:) love the figuring on the Bubinga, it's simple but effective... There is a gecko on showcase like that bubinga, too bad it's the wide one :tard:

Looks cool the cavity, where is the mistake thing?

NonsenseTele said:
:) love the figuring on the Bubinga, it's simple but effective... There is a gecko on showcase like that bubinga, too bad it's the wide one :tard:

Looks cool the cavity, where is the mistake thing?

The cover ended up like a mm closer to the tail end than I had planned.
The actual cavity is slightly wider at places and there is a minute rough spot at the bottom of the cavity.

To make a long story short: You won't see any of it once the cover is on.  :icon_smile:

dNA said:
sweet! Don't suppose you have any scrap wood to make a matching cover, eh?

Actually, I do. Just not the proper tools like a band saw to cut a thin sheet. Maybe something for the future but not before the whole body is done and finished.

Patrick said:
yeah i think this would look awesome with a finish like InterstateJoe's BK bass

I agree!  :icon_biggrin: a simple truoil finish would make that bubinga pop! Hard to see in this pic, but theres a few coats of truoil on the headstock too.

l_b0a5c892aff4474d803327e6cd8b7ff3.jpg

Interstate Joe said:
I agree!  :icon_biggrin: a simple truoil finish would make that bubinga pop! Hard to see in this pic, but theres a few coats of truoil on the headstock too.

l_b0a5c892aff4474d803327e6cd8b7ff3.jpg

that's a beaut

A couple of weeks ago I bought some sealer and Tung oil.

To be honest, I have no idea where to get Tru oil over here (Europe). It's probably called differently but I have no clue what to look for.

An update.
Drilled holes for the neck and pots yesterday, did the bridge today.
Drilling accurately is challenging, to say the least. Even with a drill press.

The electronics aren't wired up yet and after first assembly the action was way too low so there's some more tweaking to do.
But it surely is looking like a bass now if I may say so myself. :)

alright man! that looks great!
i forget, did you decide to forgo a pickguard?

That thing looks killer. very nice job. Maybe I missed it, but what's the final weight?

Back