Guitar Body Showcase?

Stephen R

These Warmoth guitar bodies and necks are beautiful, and in all my years of playing I've never owned a custom guitar, but I can't find a solid body flame maple over swamp ash or alder that is routed for a tremelo in the showcase. They are either chambered and/or drilled for a fixed bridge. I guess I could use the special order option but I'm nearly 50 with some heart issues so time is a bit of a factor for me, plus it does cost a little more.

well they are pretty fast with the orders. not to mention they'll do it just to your specifications. i think about 6 weeks is the turnover time. im sure the guys will chip in soon with more input.

Thank you for the info. Six weeks is pretty quick.

I guess I shouldn't have posted as I was just asking why I had to be stuck with a fixed bridge or a chambered body in the showcase. Maybe it's a plee for someone to sell me on the virtues and merits of a chambered body. No disrespect, and though I've never played one or heard one live in person  I still can't get this "dull thud" I hear out of my head when i think of a "chambered" body. It gives me the shivers.

I have found 3 that fit the description but 2 are rear routed (I plan on getting a preloaded pickguard ... no wiring) and the other was cherry burst. All I've ever owned has been cherry or brown bursts or solid. I'm looking for something completely different ... like one of the dyes or a green burst .. now that would be different for me  :icon_thumright:

I should also point out that I've always been a humbucking classic rock/metalhead type but now that I'm older my playing style is changing to classic rock/BLUES. I've always loved the blues just wasn't my playing style ... till now, I want that nice "bell-like" tone you get with SC..

Sorry guys, ans thanks for all the help.

Well, my latest build is a chambered body and I'm thrilled to the tits with it. Your description of yourself sounds a lot like me. I too grew up on healthy doses of Metallica, Pantera, etc... but since turning the corner of 40 I've slowed down a bit and am enjoying a new life of the blues and/or blues rock. Same as you I've always liked that kind of music but it wasn't my style. I was skeptical about the chambered bodies myself but have to admit that I really really like it. It's really warm sounding. It also sounds great without an amp, damn near acoustic. Not to mention that it's really really light weight.

As for your "hard tail" conundrum, well, if a body is set for a hard tail I'm pretty sure they'll route it out for a trem for you. I didn't experience anything with what you're looking at but both of my bodies originally were top routed in the SSS configuration. I requested HSH and they did them up no problem, and at no extra charge. Now, if that holds true with a bridge route, I honestly couldn't tell you, but it's something to at least look into.

And, since you're moving into your blues phase, I think the chambered body might be something that you'd want to take a look at.

Hope this helps,
MULLY

I have noticed that also, they make more chambered bodies than solid bodies, don't know why. There are only two bodies in the showcase right now with the specs you want.
Alder: http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=ps3566&Body=2&Path=Body
Swamp Ash: http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Body=2&Shape=1&Paint=1&Path=Body,Stratocaster,Finished&lamTop=7&core=2&ctrlRout=182&bClass=194&hollow=446&i=S3967

Routing for pickups is free of charge, you can ask for HSH to have more options (if you ever want) in the future.

I've found that chambered bodies often sound more "lively" with overtones, though that may well be just the specific pieces of wood, and I'm not entirely sold on how much a body affects overall tone on an electric.  Do yourself a favor, and give a chambered body a shot (as well as a Vintage Modern neck... the single truss rod is lighter than the double expanding one in the Warmoth Pro necks... and I've owned perhaps a dozen Pro and a handfull of Vintage Modern necks... going with those from now on).  You say that you're getting older, and a lighter overall guitar might be right up your alley in a pleasant way.  Warmoth parts (and the overall experience) are unparalleled.  You may not ever have a private island, but as a musician, building that amazing, one-of-a-kind guitar is a very self-affirming experience. 

Anyway, Warmoth will totally route the trem on those existing bodies, and I wish you the best of times with your build.

-Mark

The Warmoth inventory is kinda strange right now, since they had this big sale and so many people have been buying guitars parts (even in this bad economy.)  Case in point, right now the only Korina bodies with Maple tops are explorers.  Usually, there's at least one VIP or LP body Korina/Maple body in there.

I don't understand - there's a full page of flame maple alder or ash trem solid bodies right here: http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Shape=1&Path=Body,Stratocaster&lamTop=7&bClass=194&hollow=446
Usually there are probably more but some of these look very nice.
My first chambered guitar is still being finished so I can't comment on the Warmoth chambering. But I don't expect it to be dead sounding, lots of very nice guitars are chambered or otherwise hollow. My thinline tele is a great sounding guitar, very warm and alive. Not sure why you would expect the chambered ones to sound bad.

Thanks guys but chambered bodies scare the the beegees (lol) out of me. In my experience electric guitars that sound great acoustically usually sound terrible when plugged in, dull and lifeless with very little sustain ... plenty of resonance but little sustain.

The following youtube video shows a guy converting his 57 strat RI into a Gilmour sig. If you watch it till the end (it isn't long) you'll get to hear how GREAT this guitar sounds. This is the tone I'm after and if I can get it with a warmoth build I'll sell my custom PRS! Four grand for a Gilmour is way out of my range ... even two grand for a 57 RI ... so here I am.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-R5Inwz0bs[/youtube]

here us a clip of my dad's chambered warmoth...I don't think it sounds dead at all. I think it has a very warm sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHhjCCT9-Sc

Stephen R said:
These Warmoth guitar bodies and necks are beautiful, and in all my years of playing I've never owned a custom guitar, but I can't find a solid body flame maple over swamp ash or alder that is routed for a tremelo in the showcase. They are either chambered and/or drilled for a fixed bridge. I guess I could use the special order option but I'm nearly 50 with some heart issues so time is a bit of a factor for me, plus it does cost a little more.

Usually, there are a shortage of hardtails in the showcase.  The sale may have moved all of the tremolo models.  Costing a little more for a special order is actually just regular price.  It might be worth a phone call, but other than orientation for the CNC after the fact, a hardtail may be able to be routed into a tremolo.

Stephen R said:
Thanks guys but chambered bodies scare the the beegees (lol) out of me. In my experience electric guitars that sound great acoustically usually sound terrible when plugged in, dull and lifeless with very little sustain ... plenty of resonance but little sustain.

That seems pretty backwards to me. In my experience if an electric sounds great acoustically it'll sound even more lively when plugged in and sustain is usually increased.

You don't indicate weather this is you or your dad playing but it's really good .. some tasty licks going on there ... too bad you can't see him.

NLD09 said:
Stephen R said:

That seems pretty backwards to me. In my experience if an electric sounds great acoustically it'll sound even more lively when plugged in and sustain is usually increased.

Have you ever played one of those special faded Gibsons acoustically? Very resonant ... now plug it in  :laughing7:

I don't know about backwards but I do know that Les Paul (and Leo Fender) invented the solid body electric guitar to reduce body vibration and to keep it from creating unwanted overtones in the pickups ... we want the pickups to do most of the work. We want a solid body electric guitar not an acoustic.

Stephen R said:
... This is the tone I'm after and if I can get it with a warmoth build I'll sell my custom PRS...

You don't need to sell your PRS. Order an alder body (no flame top) with a solid color and a maple neck with your specs. Use quality pickups, pots, tremolo and capacitor. Give 'em to an experienced luthier to do the assembling. You are wasting valuable time to wait for a body in the showcase. You 'll have a strat on February if you order now!

Stephen R said:
You don't indicate weather this is you or your dad playing but it's really good .. some tasty licks going on there ... too bad you can't see him.

It's my dad I am not even close to that good I just built it for him.

Kostas said:
Stephen R said:
... This is the tone I'm after and if I can get it with a warmoth build I'll sell my custom PRS...

You don't need to sell your PRS. Order an alder body (no flame top) with a solid color and a maple neck with your specs. Use quality pickups, pots, tremolo and capacitor. Give 'em to an experienced luthier to do the assembling. You are wasting valuable time to wait for a body in the showcase. You 'll have a strat on February if you order now!

Did you  hear that guitar? You think the nitro finish had anything to do with the tone? You know anything about the preloaded pickguards at pickersparts.com ... any good?

Thanks a lot
Steve

Stephen R said:
You think the nitro finish had anything to do with the tone?

I don't think the tone was coming from the nitro.  First off, he knew how play.  2nd, he had a quality amp.  3rd, he had a quality guitar.  4th, what brand cable was he using?  I'm joking, but there's a nice read with some people in the know that have heard, played, and have experience in finishing giving their 2 cents.  Poly vs. Nitro is like religion and politics, no easy way to talk about it.

Just click the link.  Welcome to the forum.
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=9207.0

ocguy106 said:
Stephen R said:

It's my dad I am not even close to that good I just built it for him.

Your dad is one good player.  I guess a lot of the tone comes from his hands.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Stephen R said:
You think the nitro finish had anything to do with the tone?

I don't think the tone was coming from the nitro.  First off, he knew how play.  2nd, he had a quality amp.  3rd, he had a quality guitar.

I understand what you are saying completely. I'm not that good but I can play a little, there is a button around here some place that will take you to my web site ... not trying to spam it's just that you can go there and hear me play. I also have quality amps. I also have a PRS which is awsome but modern sounding ... not vintage or classic and that's what this is all about. I'm trying to make or get that 4,000 dollar vintage guitar tone with about 800 dollars worth of warmoth parts ... is that valid or just a stupid idea?

Back