General Design Play

ghotiphry

It was suggested that a thread exist for people to post designs and stuff.  Could this be a sticky thread for those who wish to post mockups and get opinions?

I've got a charcoal gray jazz body I want to use.  Something simple, like a roasted maple neck and black accents?

xBhIfHp.jpg

That looks great. I gravitate toward chrome hardware partially because I have a hard time visualizing the other options. Your illustration is nicely done and I don't see how you could go wrong. Roasted maple has turned out to be a great step forward for many of us, it can be played raw and has a nice amber hue to it.

Thank you.  Well I did play a bit with options: chrome, tortoise, etc.  Still looking for opinions.

WQV5kAU.jpg

I kinda like the black hardware.  Maybe a vintage pearl PG?
0mkvbl1.jpg

Of all the ones you've posted here, the black hardware with the black pickguard seems more cohesive to me. I like the clean look of the roasted maple neck on these.

I'll be the second person to post a design here! Here is a proposed design for a guitar for my girlfriend for when she completes her University degree in a couple years as a present.

yaHnv6Z.png

The pickups will be Fishman Fluence pickups because of their versatility, because this will more than likely be the only electric guitar she will have. The bridge will have Graptech Ghost saddles and an Acousti-Phonic Preamp.

Satin Incan Silver finish with an Indian Rosewood/Ebony neck. Black hardware and a White Pearl pickguard. I can easily say I'll be a little jealous of her when we put this together.

Thanks, guys.  I think I'm on the right path with the black hardware.  PGs are easy, I think I'll order both.  Took a look at finances, might need to wait until after Christmas.

Axkoa, love the inca silver.  Gotta tell you, I consider this thread fair game.  I might pick it up and mess with it.  There's a phenomenal pau ferro/pau ferro neck in the showcase.  Couldn't help myself.  If there was more pau ferro to be had for bass necks, I'd have more pau ferro necks.

YKCksMY.jpg

In fact, any requests?  If you want to see a body, neck, hardware, pickguard configuration, shout it out.  I'll see what I can find for images (can be hard sometimes to find top-down images of certain hardware pieces), combine them, and post results.

Pau Ferro necks look amazing... I'm definitely going to have to consider it with some builds I have in mind. That black/cream strat looks great though.

ghotiphry said:
I don't know how you strat guys ever make a decision.

Ha, we either amass more guitars or get to a point where we cant quite decide and get stuck in the design phase :)

I've tried doing stuff like this in MS Paint and it doesn't work out so well  :laughing11:

Cederick said:
I've tried doing stuff like this in MS Paint and it doesn't work out so well  :laughing11:
Yeah, that's a bit difficult.  :icon_biggrin:

You could download and install GIMP Image Editor. It's free and open source software. It will do about the same thing as most older versions of Photoshop. If you install Linux, GIMP is part of the installation. https://www.gimp.org/

Actually I have GIMP, but I really dont have the patience to learn it properly.

It just feels harder to control than Paint.

If Paint had some more advanced features I would be happy but as for now, all these Photoshop and GIMP just dont feel very easy to work with for me

I use Cubase for recording, which I absolutely love but all other DAWs I've tried have felt very clunky and hard to control

On the previous page I put a mockup of a strat, I did that using Paint.net, mostly using the wand tool. Really, it's pretty easy if you download Paint.net.

This might be fun for folks to play with - it's the best virtual guitar builder I've found:

http://www.frankmontag.com/editors.htm

It used to be just LP and SG shapes, but since my previous visit, they added a double-cut shape as well.
I tend towards the double-cut shape, so that made me happy! 

Zebra said:
This might be fun for folks to play with - it's the best virtual guitar builder I've found:

http://www.frankmontag.com/editors.htm

It used to be just LP and SG shapes, but since my previous visit, they added a double-cut shape as well.
I tend towards the double-cut shape, so that made me happy!

I've played with that before. Nice toy, spent a bunch of time there just messing with the SG options.

Back