General Design Play

Resurrecting my design thread.  :dontknow:

I'm thinking of something on the "cheap" so to speak.  I'm very careful with how I treat my basses, and I absolutely freak if I happen to bump one on something.  I want to do something that will age/relic gracefully, that I can sling around, ding up, and it comes begging back for more.  Something like this.

Question, however.  Do the black block fret inlays add or subtract from the whole?

yQImYew.jpg

hnYzeKL.jpg

They do seem a bit much, but if I had to have 'board markers I could go either way.

I prefer the dots because they don't command so much attention.

If you want one you don't have to worry about, just get a body off ebay and use that with no improvements other than the electronics you want. Slap a good Warmoth neck on it and bingo! You then have one that works great and is not going to make you cringe when you lay it on a gravel driveway or drag it across the corner of your fireplace mantle. :blob7:

On the one hand, there's a nice parallel between the single-coil pickup shape and the block shape.

On the other hand, I just like the dots better.  Not sure why.  Maybe the blocks feel too fancy for how simple and no-nonsense the body is?

OK, how about modding one of these? A friend of mine got a Squier JM and is currently modding it into what he wants.

Rgand said:
OK, how about modding one of these? A friend of mine got a Squier JM and is currently modding it into what he wants.
Same price as the Warmoth body, but unfinished.  I'm thinking a tru oil finish.  Or a similarly cost-effective easy-to-apply self finish, after I read a bit.

ghotiphry said:
Rgand said:
Same price as the Warmoth body, but unfinished.  I'm thinking a tru oil finish.  Or a similarly cost-effective easy-to-apply self finish, after I read a bit.
I've been experimenting with Minwax Wipe-on Poly as one alternative. I look forward to seeing what you do for this.

Back