General Design Play

I haven't used any single coil-sized rails from Bill Lawrence, so I don't know. The last Strat I built that looked sorta like that one used Bill's "Microcoils". Totally different thing. The Microcoils sound so much like old Strat single coils it's spooky, except no noise and no loss of character from using stacked or dummy coils. They're truly single coil pickups, just noiseless. Highly recommended.

The full-size GFS "Power Rails" I haven't had plugged in yet, so the jury's still out.

Attachments

• IMG_0060_Sm.JPG
    IMG_0060_Sm.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 456
Thanks, Kevin. I had an L-250 in my Tele. It finally took a hike because someone set a 4500 gauss magnet near the guitar for a while. Got kind of weak and brittle. Before that, though, it sounded sort of like the 70's Telecaster Custom humbucker.

Opinions, please.  Entering design phase...

Starting to think about a mooncaster bass as a project for next year.  When I saw the neck, I knew it was mine.  Quartersawn pau ferro.

Right now everything is mocked up with black hardware.  Doesn't have to stay that way.

This is in the showcase.  Vintage tint over swamp ash.
Klhm82F.jpg

Also in the showcase.  Brown to clear burst.
nqYggZx.jpg

Natural quilt maple.
h8IwNhl.jpg

Shortlisting the natural quilt maple.  Trying it in chrome, too.
yOt7axn.jpg

Dark tobacco burst.
A96xtNO.jpg

Vintage white.  This isn't in the showcase.  Color copied from a showcase guitar.
aknZOGH.jpg

Trans brown added by suggestion.  Patchwork mockup from another guiltar.
H1Q5Y65.jpg

Black dye quilt maple, also by suggestion.
4iJkhoW.jpg

RSA clear, also by suggestion.  Serious patch work on that mockup.
3S4Xfvk.jpg

All of them are good but my first choice would be brown to clear burst. Have you considered trans brown or black? Or, clear or vintage tint on roasted swamp ash? That would be a whole different look.

From those pics, the only one that doesn't work well is the Y/R/B burst. While I like vintage white bodies with Pau Ferro necks, I'm starting to think maybe that's a better idea with other body styles. With the Mooncaster, a fancy top is included in the price so why pass that up? That quilted Maple top w/ cream binding looks pretty sweet with the Pau Ferro.

I did a mockup of trans brown.  There's a black dye in the showcase.  Added that too.  Don't think the black hardware would work on that one.  Looking for the RSA examples.

Funny enough, Cagey, I'm seriously eyeing that clear quilt maple.  Maybe this would be a good tru-oil or tung oil DIY finish?

ghotiphry said:
Funny enough, Cagey, I'm seriously eyeing that clear quilt maple.  Maybe this would be a good tru-oil or tung oil DIY finish?

I wouldn't. If workspace issues preclude doing a proper finish on your own, or finances are an issue, just wait a while longer so you can save your pennies until you can afford to have a real finish put on it. Oil finishes are fine for knick-knacks, picture frames or other items that don't see a lotta handling, but a musical instrument needs something more durable.

Cagey said:
ghotiphry said:

I wouldn't. If workspace issues preclude doing a proper finish on your own, or finances are an issue, just wait a while longer so you can save your pennies until you can afford to have a real finish put on it. Oil finishes are fine for knick-knacks, picture frames or other items that don't see a lotta handling, but a musical instrument needs something more durable.

Those aren't proper finishes?  Huh.

"Proper" is the wrong word. "Appropriate" or "suitable" fits better. Polymerized oil finishes are certainly proper in some applications.

Natural q. Maple is the clear (get it?) winner. The white one looks like ranch dressing with a wooden salad spoon sticking out. Meh

Is voting still open, or have you already decided on the maple?

The tobacco burst and vintage white both made me dribble slightly (in a good way). I think in the end the vintage white wins.

Brown to clear gets 3rd.

Thanks for the input, fellas.  I haven't done anything yet.  It always surprises me how beauty is in the eye of the beholder, especially when it comes to guitars.

ghotiphry said:
Thanks for the input, fellas.  I haven't done anything yet.  It always surprises me how beauty is in the eye of the beholder, especially when it comes to guitars.
Really what we think shouldn't matter much. When you lift it off the rack you should think "Yeah, this one." So the finish that does that for you is the one.

The more I look at this one the more I like it.

nqYggZx.jpg

As Cagey puts it, the figured top is already included in the price, so take advantage of it.  I agree. +1 over the vintage white.

This one has the +1 advantage over the natural quilt maple of already being finished.

The tobacco burst has no binding, -1 for that.

-2 for each mockup not in the showcase.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the vintage tint with black binding?

You're absolutely right, Rgand.  But it's still fun to get opinions.

That one has been growing on me, too.

That quilted body is finished - it's clear gloss.

The dark binding on that vintage white seems to clash more than enhance. I'd like to see the new tortoise binding on vintage white with a Pau neck, but I wouldn't buy into it from a mock-up. I'd wanna see the real thing somehow.

Back