GDB G4 project

I tend to agree , I'm leaning heavy towards ebony over Padouk with Abalone dots.

I have ebony on 3 of mine already and love the feel ,tone and durability.

Then either black or gold hardware, Stew Mac has some trick  Abalone top knobs that would look killer

No reason to make them , Allparts has them in a variety of woods , putting an abalone top on wouldn't take much

I've finished the Nitro lacquer , still need to buff it out.  There was no issue with pre-saturating the body with Watco oil.

I just ordered the neck from Warmoth - 13 degree angled  Padouk with ebony /abalone dots/6230 fretwire/corian nut
It will have the gold GB7 tuners, and gold Hipshot single bridge
Pickups are Bartolini M34CBC-B/T  soapbars with the 2 band Bart 4.2 preamp ( vol/vol/treb/bass) 
As I have a 6 band parametric on my amp and a 4 band parametric  pre-amp there wasn't a need for the mid controls onboard.

Should be fun .. the neck will take a while I'll post when it's all together

Ah sunshine... the body buffed out ...

Thanks for the input along the way 

Now for the long wait on the neck .. 

Wooohooo after several weeks of waiting the neck arrived , I'm very happy with 

The  wood is a good color match to the mahagony back .

Padouk with Ebony 6230 vintage frets and Abalone markers .. looks like I'll be busy this weekend putting it all together and wiring it up ..

I thought about Black , but decided to go with gold .

I did have to  mill a 1/8" zebrano shim as there was an annoying gap between the end of the fretboard and the body . It didn't look right floating there.  Easy to do and now no gap.

I'll post a pic after I get it all rigged up

Still have to wire it up an all , I made a truss rod cover out of zebrano and stained it , much better than plastic

But this is a good pic for now of the semi -final look .

yeah , sorry about the blur .. low lights in the studio ..

a clearer pic , it's somewhat surprising how much smaller the G4 looks , almost like a guitar.

The wiring comes this weekend , the layout is :
Volume for each pickup
  Bass and Treble from the Bart Pre-amp (+/-16db)   there will  also be 2 gold  DPDT mini-switches
  each pickup will have Series Humbucker / Parallel Humbucker /and Outside single coil.

This should yield a wide array of tones , somewhat over kill , but I figured I might as well go all out.

The 6230 frets are killer , having played fretless for the last 20+ years they are just enough to do the job and not get in the way.  The Gotoh tuners are HEAVY compared to the ones on my J bass.

Looking good there greywolf, I like it, the body mods are simply smashing..... :icon_thumright:

The Barts sound great , I'm glad I went with the pre-amp.  It has the "Thunder and Lighting" that I was looking for. The body is much more resonant than my J bass.

I've sanded the neck to rmove the "corners" of the contour , MUCH more comfortable now. It didn't take much and it's also smoother as I hit it with 600 grit.

Thanks for all the input  a clean pic of the finish product.

Back