GDB G4 project

greywolf

Koa top over Mahagony .  It will have Bartolini soap bars , gold hardware and a Padouk/ebony neck

I'm carving the top for the "Jerry look"  45 degree bevels and initial shaping are done.

It's a mate for guitar I built from scratch ..  2nd from the right  next to the Warmoth Tele

Variety is the spice of life

greywolf said:
It's a mate for guitar I built from scratch ..   2nd from the right  next to the Warmoth Tele

Variety is the spice of life

Agreed!

Looks nice your guitar!

Interesting bass build - I've always thought personalization is what this site is all about 
eusa_clap.gif

Dangerous    I would have thought so too on the oil and lacquer .. seems like it wouldn't work at all .

Then I read about it in a luthiers forum and gave it a try ,  so far on Purpleheart, zebrano,and lacewood it has worked well to my great surprise. On woods with a high natural oil content , there may be more of an issue.

The trick is , you have to let the body dry completely so no oil is at the surface . A few weeks is a good idea , then  sand with a 1200 grit  .

After 35 years + of woodworking I still pick up new tricks ..  open minds lead to innovation

greywolf said:
Dangerous    I would have thought so too on the oil and lacquer .. seems like it wouldn't work at all .

Then I read about it in a luthiers forum and gave it a try ,  so far on Purpleheart, zebrano,and lacewood it has worked well to my great surprise. On woods with a high natural oil content , there may be more of an issue.

The trick is , you have to let the body dry completely so no oil is at the surface . A few weeks is a good idea , then  sand with a 1200 grit  .

After 35 years + of woodworking I still pick up new tricks ..  open minds lead to innovation
Hmmmmm, good to know. I guess anything is possible if you're willing to try it...

It's a hassle, but you can always sand it off if you really want that finish.  Besides, isn't it good finishing weather down in Tejas?

Blue313 said:
It's a hassle, but you can always sand it off if you really want that finish.  Besides, isn't it good finishing weather down in Tejas?
No I don't really want that finish, it was more of his technique...No it cold as %#$& right now down here..

After some contemplation , I worked on the horns and bevel a bit more to make the lines crisper .

I've also elected to go with a no stain on the top and sides  as shows of the grain better..

Thanks for the kind words guys, my daughter saw it for th first time when she came over for dinner tonight.. she really liked it.

My 2 favorite body shapes of all time are Doug Irwins "Tiger "  he built for Garcia and the Gibson SG.
I have a 72 SG, and had already built the Tiger tribute, so this was a natural progression.

Now I have to decide between a Pau Ferro or Ebony fretboard, I've always been partial to ebony , but the Pau Ferro color and grain would go well with this too.. hmmm 

Back