Fret wire question

jackpax

Is there a good rule of thumb about which size fret wire to choose based on playing style?  Specifically, what type of wire would facilitate a very string bendy style?  Think Hendrix or SRV soloing away.  And of course, is there a downside to having a guitar optimized for one thing?  We spend about ninety percent of the time playing rhythm, after all.

I think Jimi mostly played factory-stock guitars, so that means whatever the Fender guys were making in 1967-1970.  SRV had "bass frets" installed on his no. 1 which I suspect means a medium jumbo fret - 6105?  6150?

If you're a string-bendin' fool, consider stainless frets, and if you're really a wide-swervin' maniac, consider a flatter fretboard radius.  Even if you're not much of a bender, you should get the stainless steel frets.  They're slicker than all get-out.  Beyond that, I'd select a fret dimension that you're already comfortable with.  No point in reinventing the wheel if you've already got something that works.

Yeah, you can bend hard on pretty much anything. Go to a store and just play loads of guitars, and see whether you prefer the feel of bigger or smaller frets.

My personal opinion is that if you're going so far as to call bending out as something you want to pay particular attention to, you should go for either the 6100s or the 6150, nothing smaller. Definitely get stainless steel - they're hard wearing, they feel nice to bend on, and something else that people don't mention much: they polish up to a much smoother, glossier mirror shine.

Back