First Warmoth build(s), first post and a tuner hole question!

Welcome to the forum! If you're looking for lower priced locking tuners, check out the Sperzel style locking tuners at www.Guitarfetish.com, for the price they work just as well as the hipshots on my main guitar.

Hipshot has tuners that fit 10mm, 8.5mm which fit sperzils and schallers

Thanx for more welcoming!

...and in the wait for better days (read: necks), this may act as a teaser.

Cheerio

BengTeaser_1.JPG

Another question:

Grounding of strings/bridge.
To connect a gnd wire to a common tremolo system (Floyd Rose, std Fender etc) is all straightforward to me (connect the wire to the springplate etc...). But: How do i solve this on a Tune-o-matic bridge (in my case; the Diamondback)?

Cheers!

Edit: Sorry i should have searched first. The answer seems to be right here: http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=2198.0

Cheers again

...The 13 yo kid just successfully assembled the tuning machines for his diamondback neck, and also did some small steps towards an assembled guitar. Good thing to supervise to avoid insanity!

I still haven't received any response from Warmoth regarding the tele neck though, but they maybe need a full day or two to decide how to respond(?).

Another funny detail: The tremolo system is a Wilkinson wvs50ii, i got it from guitarfetish. And the spring claw doesnt match the two drill holes. I never thought that distance could be "non-standard", but obviously it could. Good thing i happened to have an old Kahler claw in a drawer, which fits smooth.

... pieces resting after todays work:
BengTeaser_2.JPG

Cheers!

Guitar Fetish has some incredible deals on some fairly nice parts, but you gotta watch them close. A lot of that stuff is either metric or deliberately off-spec to avoid IP lawsuits, so you need to ask around about a part before you buy it to see if anyone has had fitting issues. A lot of people here use them, so answers usually come pretty quick.

Cagey said:
A lot of that stuff is either metric or deliberately off-spec to avoid IP lawsuits,

Funny... thanx for the headsup. I have purchased stuff from them before (I have a quite nice Xaviere LP), and so far I gladly recommend them too. Didn't know about the "metric off-spec" thing though...

I have received (the first) response from Warmoth regarding the head-crack too. The good thing is that I received the response reasonabely fast. The bad thing is that they don't agree in this being a warranty case, they say I have caused it myself by stressing the wood when attaching the screws. Well well ... I shan't refer/reproduce email convo here in public, neither rant or whine too loud before I know how it will end up, but I have replied to them.

We Röck
/Bengt

Horse pucky. If you had drilled the holes too small, you'd have twisted the heads off the screws (or stripped them) long before they could exert enough pressure to split a headstock. Then, there's no way you could drive them in without drilling a hole. You need to bitch some more. I can't believe they're even arguing about it. That's a wood failure, pure and simple.

Get off email. Call 'em. Get in their face.

I truly appreciate your support Cagey.

And I guess I am bad at "writing between the lines" here (as English isn't my first language), basically I just try to sound polite out here in public.

But put it this way: My response to Warmoth was clear and craving. Maybe even unpolite and quite bitchy. I find it shocking and definitely unsatisfaying that they dare to insinuate that I should blame myself for this. Shouldn't I be competent enough to drill a hole and handle a f¤%&/n screwdriver? Pathetic.

Of course this is a case of wood failure on delivery. A crap neck. There's no place for questioning that. I just needed a night's sleep and drill a few more holes after the disaster to re-convince myself about it.

So... nope, I won't accept this as it is. I'm quite close to their face as I am, and I will move closer if they persist in ... horse pucky.

Cheers

Vallhagen said:
But put it this way: My response to Warmoth was clear and craving. Maybe even unpolite and quite bitchy. I find it shocking and definitely unsatisfaying that they dare to insinuate that I should blame myself for this. Shouldn't I be competent enough to drill a hole and handle a f¤%&/n screwdriver? Pathetic. 

Well, I will say this: here on the board we tend to make great sport of some of the offerings on eBay where the user was clearly insane in their treatment of various necks and bodies, and I'm sure we don't see the half of it, while Warmoth probably gets the full brunt. So, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they're a little skeptical of some "failures". Then, if you're less than diplomatic about the whole thing, you're gonna put them on the defensive earlier than usual. There really are some people that don't know which end of the screwdriver does the work.

If you haven't called them yet, I strongly suggest you do. It's not like calling the government where you'll be put on hold and/or transferred a dozen times until you can't afford the call. It's a relatively small and proud company. You'll be dealt with quickly and directly. Be nice! Tell them what happened, offer to send the pictures you have, and I'm sure they'll be accommodating.

If things don't work out with Mr Warmoth, necks can be fixed.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/260464-cracked-maple-headstock.html

I'm always fearful when installing these bushings, yes, they are supposed to fit but I don't like them, that's why I switched to the planet waves and now the hipshots.  They use a reach nut.  If you don't do it yourself, probably take a luthier half an hour to fix, probably cost you $25.  It'll be good as new.  Might as well have him install the tuners if you're going to stick with these vintage guys, another $25.  Should be less than $100.

Depending on the glue, the neck will be stronger than before.

I'm sorry.

Thanx Rick too!

... just to avoid a possible misunderstanding: The inserts/ferrules were inserted very smooth with no complication at all, as seen in the earlier pics. The neck cracked when I screwed in the small 2mm wood screws in the pre-drilled 1.5 mm holes.

Cagey: I actually sent the close-up pics already, so they do have the info. They were sent in the first round, all in a factual friendly manner. Then it was in the second mail i kinda raised my voice, in a more craving tone. But I guess you're right in that a phonecall is a good thing.

And yes, sure there are ppl grabbing a knife in the blade using it as a hammer. And I am certainly new here as well as to Warmoth. I just thought - in the first place - that in an email to warmoth my words on handling this stuff and the posted pics should indicate that I handle stuff with care. This without bragging up my full CV.

Cheers

A parenthesis in the main subject of this thread, but i show her here anyway cuz i just became a happy owner. Its fun how life gives you an unexpected UP xactly when needed. I've been waiting for this to be build for me some... 5 months, and it arrived at the post office today, right into the world of cracked heads and hung necks. The last days seems to be one of those guitarristic epicentre of time (<-- that didn't make it in english, right?) for me.

A single cone style O cutaway resophonic from Amistar, hand made in Czech Republic. Loud, heavy and metal indeed!

20150113_184728.jpg

That phrase hung necks reminds of that poem Invictus ... Under the bludgeonings of chance, my head is bloody but unbowed.

Nice resononator.

Cash and Hensley coming at the heavy hanging head thing from opposite ends of the emotional spectrum, though - shame ("I Hung My Head") and pride ("Invictus.")  Both great works, though.

Nice resophonic! Congratulations!

Thanx Bagman too!

And if i may choose the pride theme for a while; Here is the green one. Not fully adjusted yet (intonation and string height remains), but all assembled and surprisingly (in a positive way) well playable "straight out of the box", we literally just screwed on the neck and dropped the tune-o-matic in place and it felt well immidiately:) ... I wrote "we": The 13yo boy really made the most of the job on the whole guitar. I can tell he is lucky and proud with it.

The details again:
Body: Warmoth Diamondback, mahogany
Neck: Warmoth, birdseye maple w rosewood fingerboard, medium fat frets
Gotoh tuners and bridge
GFS pickups (pots also from guitarfetish)
knobs from Warmoth
The finnish is Wudtone Emerald Isles

This time i hope the picture quality is good enough. Not taken in daylight though.

Cheers!

JulleKlar_1.JPG

JulleKlar_2.JPG

JulleKlar_3.JPG

JulleKlar_4.JPG

Thanx bagman!

Funny minor blunder: I just posted the pics on another forum too when i noticed the b-string has jumped off the bridge just to irritate my eyes when i took the pics?  :guitarplayer2:

A Green Manalishi indeed!
/hell Bengt for leather

I'll be perfectly honest with you, when you posted the initial picture on page one of just the body I thought yuk!  :sad1: Now you've finished it and produced a far better quality picture I'm thinking wow! A real one-off. It's nice to see this kind of finish for a change and what a great looking guitar. I bet it plays and sounds awesome. :hello2:

Where are you with the cracked headstock? It looks to me like it has split with the grain and I think it's a characteristic with that particular piece of wood. I don't think anyone can claim it's a defect as such, because wood is wood and it was never designed to have screws wound in to it! However, it should be possible to wind in screws to that type of wood because it's been done before millions of times, so I think it is quite simply a piece of wood that didn't like it too much! Warmoth should replace it in my opinion. No one's fault, you can't predict a single piece of wood, you can only use experience to guess it's suitability. My guess is that was an unsuitable piece.

The only other suggestion is to get some good wood glue in there and clamp it for a few days, then flatten and finish with a solid colour / lacquer, possibly on the body too. They say that wood glue like cascamite is stronger than the wood itself.

Back