• PS7880D.jpg
    PS7880D.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 360
  • VMS6165a.jpg
    VMS6165a.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 288
First, welcome to the board!

Second...

1. Be patient. If something doesn't seem right, wait until you know why. There are a lot of people here with a lot of experience, You're never going to wait long for an answer.
2. Use the proper tools. If you don't have them, get them, or get somebody who has them to do the work.
3. Ask questions, no matter how trivial they seem. Again, there are a lot of people here with a lot of experience who actually enjoy being helpful.
4. Have fun! This isn't a job, it's an adventure, and your introduction to a long-term addiction from which there is no escape <grin>

That is gonna be sweet ! I'll tell ya , I've done a few builds now and the one thing that still makes me uneasy is  dealing with the headstock . From pushing in the tuner bushings to placing and drilling the tuners screw holes . Take your time , mark off the drill bit with tape  as a guide so you don't drill through the head stock . Don't force any of those tiny screws into the wood or they may snap off . I also use a tiny tiny bit of bees wax on the screw to help ease it in . They other slightly tricky thing is placing the string tree if you use one ,so it's straight . I do it by eye with the string tree sitting on the strings and a long drill bit , it's risky , if off just a hair it will not be a straight string pull . Ask around here these good folks have done these things hundreds of time . Other then that I can't think of anything that tricky , just minor setup stuff . Take your time and Enjoy !

Cagey said:
First, welcome to the board!

Second...

1. Be patient. If something doesn't seem right, wait until you know why. There are a lot of people here with a lot of experience, You're never going to wait long for an answer.
2. Use the proper tools. If you don't have them, get them, or get somebody who has them to do the work.
3. Ask questions, no matter how trivial they seem. Again, there are a lot of people here with a lot of experience who actually enjoy being helpful.
4. Have fun! This isn't a job, it's an adventure, and your introduction to a long-term addiction from which there is no escape <grin>
What he said...

Nice project... :headbang:

But a bit confussed, if you are telecutie, why is your first build a strat... :icon_scratch:

DangerousR6 said:
Cagey said:
But a bit confussed, if you are telecutie, why is your first build a strat... :icon_scratch:
My life requires variety!  Sometimes I have my fill of twang, and I need a little spank!
(Yes, we're still talking about guitars)  :toothy12:

telecutie said:
DangerousR6 said:
Cagey said:
My life requires variety!  Sometimes I have my fill of twang, and I need a little spank!
Gotcha... :icon_thumright:

telecutie said:
DangerousR6 said:
Cagey said:

Ah, she has good taste in guitars and is witty as well.  I think you are gonna fit in real well around here  :icon_thumright:
That Goncalo neck goes great with the Fiesta Red geetar.  Very nice first build...
One rule around here is you have to post lots, and lots of pics during your build. So, be prepared!
:rock-on:

Black Dog said:
telecutie said:
DangerousR6 said:
Cagey said:

Ah, she has good taste in guitars and is witty as well.  I think you are gonna fit in real well around here  :icon_thumright:
That Goncalo neck goes great with the Fiesta Red geetar.  Very nice first build...
One rule around here is you have to post lots, and lots of pics during your build. So, be prepared!
:rock-on:
ttiwwp.gif

yes, I just had too... :icon_biggrin:

You might want to be more careful how you edit. You have me quoted saying something I didn't say, and Black Dog saying what you meant to say. Doesn't really matter in this case, but if we were having a debate it would.

Cagey said:
You might want to be more careful how you edit. You have me quoted saying something I didn't say, and Black Dog saying what you meant to say. Doesn't really matter in this case, but if we were having a debate it would.
I didn't do it... :icon_biggrin:

Welcome to the 'boards. -Somebody tell Hannaugh she's gonna hafta change her caption to 99.8%  :icon_jokercolor:

-Oh! don't eye-ball the placement of the strap buttons! -Measure! If they are off (especially that bottom one) even a hair, the symmetry of your strat will give it away to anybody within 3 square miles. I use calipers to center between the front and back, and a dry-erase pen to mark side-to-side on the bottom. DO NOT USE THE CENTER OF THE SUSTAIN BLOCK ROUTE FOR REFERENCE! I've seen it done; end-pin/strap buttons perfectly centered below the bridge route!  :doh:

Hi and welcome.
Nice 1st up build  :icon_thumright:

telecutie said:
First building project:

Any building tips or best advice?
If your doing it yourself  :dontknow:
There is plenty of advice / tips / tricks etc around here.
:redflag:  Don't ever be afraid to ask any questions.

This Dan Erlewine 2nd edition is a good book to have. For any guitarist !!
http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/5198?tab=Details

Here's a tease... basic assembly complete. still needs final setup and fine tuning.  Love the Duncan SSL-1s.  Much warmer than another strat I own.  Could also be attributable to the Goncalo neck-- it's supposed to be on the warm side of the tone-o-meter.

Attachments

• FRS1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 274
  • FRS2.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 240
Pretty dang sweet.  As you might guess from the axe in my sig block, I'm a fan of classics updated, and yours is a fine example of that. 

It looks like you might need to clean your cell phone's camera lens with a swatch of microfiber, though.  Kinda hazy.

Very nice! As Bagman said, it's always good to see a traditional instrument taken to the next level.

Back