favorite bass player?

I think Justin Chancellor does a great job as far as creativity goes.  Stu Hamm is one of my favorites, along with Tim Commeford, Ryan from Mudvayne, Geddy Lee, Billy Sheehan.  I'm one of the few guitar players that i know that think a great bass player really makes the band.  I guess in my mind it takes a lot more to be creative with a bass than with a guitar.  Maybe I'm crazy.  But then, maybe there's a spaceship behind that comet!

CB, You're not allowed to count Crosby, Stills, and Nash separately!  But that's a very impressive list  :eek: :eek:

mscmkr said:
I hope somewhere in all those names Bernard Edwards was mentioned...

His work with Chic is quite good.  I still take bass lessons and last night's lesson was attempting to sight read some of his bass lines.  Tough, but tasty!

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Lee Sklar.  I don't know if I see him playing with everyone, or he just sticks out.

LeeSklar.jpg
Wasn't he a bassist with Phil Collins for a while? :icon_scratch:

DangerousR6 said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Lee Sklar.  I don't know if I see him playing with everyone, or he just sticks out.

LeeSklar.jpg
Wasn't he a bassist with Phil Collins for a while? :icon_scratch:

isn't he the finnish dude/santaclaus?
I think I saw him with either phil collins or genesis on the knebworth festival '90 (what a day!)
I also think he was with toto for a while more recently.

=CB= said:
Haven't seen Tim Drummond mentioned here... just a great all around player, who's been with a few unknowns, like James Brown, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Lonnie Mack, Denzil "Dumpy" Rice, Albert Collins, B.B. King, Keith Richards, John Mayall, Ron Wood, Ry Cooder, Roy Buchanan, Mick Taylor, J.J. Cale, Steven Stills, Graham Nash, David Crosby, John Lee Hooker, Miles Davis, Jim Keltner, Joe Henry, Don Henley, T-Bone Burnett, Mac Gayden, Robert Cray, Roy Rogers, Taj Mahal, Earl Palmer, Waddy Wachtel, Rick Danko, A. J. Croce, Danny Kortchmar, Jewel, The Beach Boys, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Hoyt Axton, Levon Helm, Ronnie Hawkins, Captain Beefheart, John Hammond, Crudup Bros, Charlie Daniels, Troy Seals, Jimmy Buffett, Kitty Jerry,Hod & Marc, Andrew Walker, Conway Twitty, Bette Midler, Neil Diamond, Essra Mohawk, Rusty Kershaw, Lee Clayton, Mickey Carroll, Bobby Byrd, Michelle Phillips, Jerry Corbitt, Steve Forbert, Paula Abdul, Louise Goffin, and a few others.

You've heard him and never knew.......

You could say the same thing about Carol Kaye.  I've met her a few times and seen her play.  Killer player on bass and guitar.  Very nice lady too.

Jeff Pilson too (Dokken, Dio, Foreigner, etc.). Plays an old  Fender P-bass through Ampeg SVTs. Kick-ass tone...

I know Line6 said Michael Manring earlier, but I checked out some of his stuff, and whoa...  He flew to the top of my favorite  bass player list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eTBc7aWBGw

That's him playing "Selene" live on a recent dvd from Candyrat Records.  He's playing the Zon Hyperbass, which he helped develop.  He said in a different video that it is available for purchase from Zon guitars, provided you don't mind selling your car  :laughing7:

Iv never seen Manring play before but from that clip he looks like a pretentious  ass that needs to go home and work on his bass playing affectations.

Brian

Geddy Lee and John Entwistle.

Geddy Lee: Malignant Narcissism on Snakes and Arrows.

Entwistle: The Real Me on Quadrophenia

both have outstanding bass parts

bpmorton777 said:
Iv never seen Manring play before but from that clip he looks like a pretentious  ass that needs to go home and work on his bass playing affectations.

Brian

Actually based on the video interview I watched of him, he seems like a very down to earth, humorous fellow, who wasn't shy about sharing his "secrets."  I figured that song wouldn't be for everybody, but I'm a sucker for that ambient drony stuff...

Back