Custom neckplate

Nicee, Glad to see you're still doing these coming back from my absence.

I'll probably end up ordering a few  :icon_thumright: to make up for continually saying i'd be contacting you about some... then not  :sad:

SolomonHelsing said:
Nicee, Glad to see you're still doing these coming back from my absence.

I'll probably end up ordering a few  :icon_thumright: to make up for continually saying i'd be contacting you about some... then not  :sad:
:headbang:

Very nice work.  are those EJ ones for the actual EJ?  Do they meet his stringent tone requirements?  :icon_jokercolor:

Mayfly said:
Very nice work.  are those EJ ones for the actual EJ?  Do they meet his stringent tone requirements?  :icon_jokercolor:
thank you flyer of the May, and yes the man himself has one....I'm sure his tone is safe... :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
Mayfly said:
thank you flyer of the May, and yes the man himself has one....I'm sure his tone is safe... :icon_thumright:

Unless I am being gullible, that is very cool.  :icon_thumright:

Any updates on Eddie?  I also have a couple of ideas for the other one (Cocobolo/Goncalo guitar).  Let me know about Eddie and I'll get you some ideas on the other one.  :headbang1:

Couple of new ones for Doc... :headbang1:
EdPlate_zps5928ca03.jpg

TommyGun_zpsd5cf944d.jpg

Very cool!  Do you have a source for the brass plates?  If so, what is the upcharge?  You can PM me if you want.

Actually, I think most plates (and metal knobs) are brass. They're plated/painted to make them chrome/gold/black. Finding raw brass may be a tad tougher because it needs a finish to keep it from oxidizing and getting dull/green and I suspect most folks wouldn't go to the trouble to clear coat them to maintain appearance.

Cagey said:
Actually, I think most plates (and metal knobs) are brass. They're plated/painted to make them chrome/gold/black. Finding raw brass may be a tad tougher because it needs a finish to keep it from oxidizing and getting dull/green and I suspect most folks wouldn't go to the trouble to clear coat them to maintain appearance.

Interesting.  The ones I have gotten from Doug in the past appear silver-colored in the part that has been engraved, regardless of whether they are chrome, gold, or black.  Does standard brass have a silver color?  The chrome and black ones have held their (plated/painted) color, but over the years, the gold finish wears off, usually unevenly.  This is why I was asking about brass, a gold-ish color that wouldn't rub away, like a brass nut.  Taking the time to clear-coat them would not be a problem.  I would just need to know that it needed to be done.  :icon_thumright:   

DocNrock said:
Does standard brass have a silver color? 

No. But, when it's freshly engraved, it's somewhat brilliant so it's easy to get fooled.

Out of curiosity, I checked about a half-dozen plates that I have out on guitars now, and it's tough to tell except on the black parts. But, I've seen it enough times to think I'm right, although I wouldn't swear to it. I'm not a metallurgist.

I did spend some time trying to strip some knobs a couple years ago because I wanted a raw brass appearance to match some other parts Doug had made for me. Didn't realize they were all brass. But, I think the stuff is easy to cast/machine and it's easy to plate, plus it's generally inexpensive, so that's the raw material many raw parts are made of if they're machined. Other stuff that may be cast is usually done with zinc or aluminum. Of course, there are also "exotic" metals used for some machined parts, but you'd know that from the price and the many, many adjectives used to talk you into opening your wallet. 

I had assumed they were a soft steel, but brass makes sense.  On my last project I had to file the edge of the plate and it filed real easy.  I know it wasn't aluminum, nor was it bronze because it wouldn't make any sense to use anything so expensive.  Tonight I'll have to get out a magnet

By the way I like that skull nice work.

Rick said:
Tonight I'll have to get out a magnet.

Don't bother. Good idea. Guess I was wrong. I just did it, and all of mine seem to be ferrous. So, they have to be some grade of steel. Not brass, anyway.

I'm still going to check  I,m hoping its. Brass.  I suppose it doesn't make difference to the sound

DocNrock said:
Very cool!  Do you have a source for the brass plates?  If so, what is the upcharge?  You can PM me if you want.
No source for the brass plates, I make them myself.

Rick said:
I had assumed they were a soft steel, but brass makes sense.  On my last project I had to file the edge of the plate and it filed real easy.  I know it wasn't aluminum, nor was it bronze because it wouldn't make any sense to use anything so expensive.  Tonight I'll have to get out a magnet

By the way I like that skull nice work.
You are correct, the black and chrome and gold plates I use are just a mild steel.

Rick said:
I'm still going to check  I,m hoping its. Brass.  I suppose it doesn't make difference to the sound

Probably not any more than the metal your strap hangers are made of  :laughing7:

Back