Custom GD Gold Top

GoDrex said:
oh yeah - - here to try and get me to spend more money - - you're just shills for Warmoth I tell ya hahaha!!

Hey, I tried to get you the cheaper fix, but you decided on the SG.  :toothy12:  That's OK, face it, we all got GAS!  :cool01:

Well I ordered the pickup rings, screws and some other stuff for the Parker.... bought some metal snips and cut the pickup feet on the invader and '59..  I'm very happy with the outcome. The invader sounds great. It really beefs up the tone, which was kind of thin and generic before. This is a bright guitar so it works really well. The '59 also sounds really good in the neck position. So much more color or character than the stock pickups.

I also ordered strap locks for my strat and the Parker. Put them on the strat no problem. BUT of course the Parker had to continue to be a bitch. They used larger screws than Schaller screws (which was reverse with the strat) - -so the holes in the body are bigger, AND the Parker screws won't fit through the Schaller pegs. So I dripped some Titebond wood glue in the holes. I'm hoping that will hold the screws in there. The difference in size in the screws wasn't that huge, but enough so that the Schaller screws wouldn't tighten. I think the glue will work though. I guess Parker just doesn't want anyone to mod their stuff at all.

oh I forgot to mention that I also change the pots from their cheap ones to some nice ones I had left over from when I did the LP and the nice ones were too fat to fit through the holes so I had to widen them a bit... so yeah I had to work a bit hehehe ;)

yeah but that was WAY too much to do to swap out some pickups and put strap locks on...  so l LUCKILY I have SOME small amount of skill. :laughing8:

About luck...  I don't really believe I'm cursed, but damn I can't get cut a break. Yeah it's a wall of text... sorry.

OK back to the ongoing story of the gold top - so first the binding on the neck was messed up: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3120.0 - thanks Warmoth neck binding guy!

Then I fixed that myself by sanding it down, but still had to get the electronics done and nut put on. I took it to this place: http://www.antfarmamplification.com/  We had some trouble with the Jimmy Page wiring from the Seymour Duncan site. It wouldn't work when I tried it  and the guy from this place couldn't get it to work either. I then found a schematic from Gibson that worked and that was taken care of (sort of  - more on this later). This guy also installed a Graphtec nut for me. The reason I didn't have Warmoth do the nut was I had originally wanted an Earvana, but then changed my mind after getting it. I had one on my strat and didn't care for it.

So I get the guitar back after nearly 2 weeks and the action is kind of high and lowering the bridge makes the D string buzz a lot when open. I also notice the nut isn't installed too well. It's flat against the headstock, but there's a gap between it and the fretboard. I decide that this guy hasn't got a clue and I can't deal with him again. I decide to try another place that's only 2 minutes away down the road from me. I take it to a real luthier. A guy that builds acoustic guitars and violins but also does electrics. This guy: http://home.epix.net/~luthier/index.htm. I had previously avoided this guy because I felt he was nutty. He's got a big double sided sign on his property that says "Abortion leaves 1 dead and 1 wounded" and "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you - God" on the other side, so you see it coming and going on the highway. I've got no problem with someone being religious and having whatever beliefs they want, but just the fact that he's got to have a big 4x6 foot painted sign like this on his lawn makes me think he's a bit of a wack job. So I take it there because I feel like I'm not going to get any better results from the Ant Farm guy and he tells me the nut is messed up and he'll take care of that and check the neck. Oh yeah also some time after getting the guitar back I noticed that one of the neck screws wouldn't get tight - just turn and turn. So he'll fix that two. How long I ask - I hope it's not real long of a wait. He says "how long is really long?" I say over 2 weeks. He says "well I'm really busy but it will be done before then. I then wait for 2 weeks and 5 days before calling him. He says "oh it's done, you can get it tomorrow." I suspect a rush job. I get it back and it seems ok. The action is better. Nut seems better. I get it home and I noticed that I'm getting all sorts of string binding (tink) when I tune - especially the D string (the one that was really low before) but on others as well. I remember he said he would build up the slots. I didn't question it at the time because I figure the guy knows what he's doing and I just kind of forgot about it. Now I realize that using some material in the slots of a graphtec nut is stupid because it defeats the purpose of the graphite material. Well OK - it's playing good enough so I can deal with a little string binding. It's not perfect but usable for me since I don't gig and just record sporadically these days. So I play with it this way for a while and it's OK. Not great but OK. I contact the guy and he says he'll fix it and it must need a different material, or he'll fix it by raising the nut with something. I don't want to go back to Jesus guy and wait who knows long again. Oh and if I want a new nut, I'll have to pay for it anyway.

So time goes by and I need a string change. I start taking the strings off and the nut falls off of the neck. That's it, I'm pissed. So now I decide to go back to this guy: http://www.fredcastner.com/. I had dealt with this guy before and wasn't able to have him do anything for me. I had an Ovation that he couldn't fix. He advised me to send it back to Ovation, which I did and it turned out ok. Expensive but ok. I also wanted him and his partner to put together the gold top for me, but at the time I felt what his guy wanted to charge was kind of steep. In hindsight I should have paid what he wanted. http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3039.msg31354#msg31354  But then again, who knows if they would have done a good job? I mean they probably would have but I don't believe anything anymore. Fred's partner is supposed to be a great set up guy that works for the pros. But I'm not a pro, so he probably would have rushed jobbed me. I will never trust anyone again.

So I turned that down and put the guitar together mostly by myself (everything except the electronics - which I could have done if I used the Gibson wiring instead of the SD) and the nut - which I don't have the tools or expertise to do myself. I think I did a pretty good job drilling holes. It's not perfect but it's good.

So now I'm back to Fred. I tell him I want a bone nut. I bring it over. He says he'll have it done in around an hour for $50. He works at Martin Guitar here in Nazareth PA and does like 6 nuts a day. The guy has worked on Paul Simon's guitar and a ton of other famous Martin owners. I leave and come back later to get it. I have my wife and kid in the car and I don't check the guitar real carefully. I play it a little and it seems ok. I just assume it's fine (because as usual I'm the biggest idiot in my misadventures) and I take it home. I start playing and the low E feels weird. I start really looking and it's too close to the A string. I look closer and the nut slots are obviously not evenly spaced. In fact it looks like the distance is different between each one. But the E and A is really obvious. You can see it clearly that it's too close together. WTF!?! The guy even had me bring the old nut in so he could copy the spacing. I check that nut and it looks perfect. I hold it up against the new one and it's not lining up. I get a tape measure and the old nut is perfectly spaced (originally cut by Graphtec). I measure the new one and I get all sorts of different measurements. That's where I'm at today. WHAT THE frick??  I'm bring it back to him today, but why should it ever turn out right? What's going to magically make him get the thing right this time? How does he keep his job at Martin? Or is it just me? It's me.

OH YEAH about the wiring - I was reading Gregg's thread about the new Braveheart 2 - and he has a pic that shows the 3 way selector switch. When I saw it I thought - "how come he's got so much room in there?" In mine the switch leads are all smooshed up against one side of the cavity. I then realize that the hole is made off center - so the switch fits better one way than the other. Well my Ant Farm guy - the guy who repairs tube amps and had trouble with the JP wiring - has mine in backward and the switch leads are all bent up. I was having a little trouble when switching to the middle position and sometimes the neck pickup wouldn't work. I'd flick the switch up and down and it would work. I now know it's because the wiring was touching in one spot due to being all crushed together (I bent it apart a little and now it's fine). So now eventually I'll have to get a new switch and fix that (with shrink tubing this time).

I posted this so if you're having trouble with your guitar(s) this might make you feel a little better. I've been having trouble like this since forever. It never stops and it makes me want to quit playing guitar - again.

Oh and click here to read about my fun with my Parker and doing some upgrades: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3305.msg44034#msg44034

I don't know what to say to you Gary, it's the most pissing story about guitars that I've ever heard and I've had problems with some guitars too!!!

Hope you can get it fine, serious!
(the switch hole on my L5S is out off center too...)

Thanks. :)

I think the hole is supposed to be off center that way. The switch will fit fine one way and bad the other. My tech had a 50/50 chance to get it right and he blew it.

One small detail I left out was when I got the LP back after getting the bone nut, I noticed the bridge was on backwards. Yet again another 50/50 chance and it's wrong. I just can't find anyone good near where I live. My next try is going to be a place 2 hours away, each way. But it probably won't matter. My guitars are making me believe in magic and bad luck and curses and voodoo...

actually it's just a bit of the "Flakes" thing happening I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFvtoJrK1Zg

Flakes! Flakes!
Flakes! Flakes!
They don't do no good
They never be workin'
When they oughta should
They waste your time
They're wastin' mine
California's got the most of them
Boy, they got a host of them

Swear t'God they got the most
At every business on the coast
They got the Flakes

Flakes! Flakes!

They can't fix yer brakes
You ask 'em, "Where's my motor?"
"Well, it was eaten by snakes . . . "
You can stab 'n shoot 'n spit
But they won't be fixin' it
They're lyin' an' lazy
They can be drivin' you crazy

(Take it away, Bob . . . )

I asked as nice as I could
If my job would
Somehow be finished by Friday
Well, the whole damn weekend
Came 'n went, Frankie
(Wanna buy some mandies, Bob?)
You know what? They didn't do nothin'
But they charged me double for Sunday

Now, you know, no matter what you do,
They gonna cheat 'n rob you
'N then they'll give you a bill
'N it'll get your senses reelin'
And if you do not pay
They got computer collectors
That'll get you so crazy
'Til your head'll go through th' ceilin'
Yes it will!

I'm a moron 'n this is my wife
She's frosting a cake
With a paper knife
All what we got here's
American made
It's a little bit cheesey,
But it's nicely displayed
Well we don't get excited when it
Crumbles 'n breaks
We just get on the phone
And call up some Flakes
They rush on over
'N wreck it some more
'N we are so dumb
They're linin' up at our door
Well, my toilet went crazy
Yesterday afternoon
The plumber he says
"Never flush a tampoon!"
This great information
Cost me half a week's pay
And the toilet blew up
Later on the next day ay-eee-ay
Yeah ay-eee-ay
Yeah ay-eee-ay
Yeah ay-eee-ay
Blew up the next day
WOO-OOO

One Two Three Four!

Flakes! Flakes!
Flakes! Flakes!
Flakes! Flakes!

One Two Three Four!
FLAKES!

We are millions 'n millions
We're coming to get you
We're protected by unions
So don't let it upset you
Can't escape the conclusion
It's probably God's Will
That civilization
Will grind to a standstill
And we are the people
Who will make it all happen
While yer children is sleepin',
Yer puppy is crappin'
You might call us Flakes
Or something else you might coin us
We know you're so greedy
That you'll probably join us

We're coming to get you, we're coming to get you

Can't find the world in any dictionary  :tard:

Voodoo and that stuff... don't know how world you call there for the "works" they do... Here we say that they put a "lean on your back and you can't do anything good"... there even different enchantments: for love, for work, for money...  :toothy12: but I've never heard one for guitar before  :help:  :laughing7:

The world is encosto, that can be the back of your chair...

Ah ok - well if anyone knows any ways to have the voodoo guitar curse taken off of me, please let me know. It's been going on for like 27 years or so. :evil4:

Wow, man.  Just wow.  I don't know what to tell you here about curses and voodoo stuff, I'm not a believer.  I will tell you this, though.  I am a genius at making a scene.  My mother had a real talent for this, and she obviously passed it on to me.  If someone that is doing work for me, be it on a guitar or a washing machine, or whatever, does not get it right, look out.  In this here modern world of ours with all these lazy, rush job hacks around, you have really got to get a little nutty when something is not going right.  When they see the crazies start to come out of you, when they realize that you are not going to take some half-assed job and walk away without a fight, you start to get results.  I have actually threatened to stand across the street (outside of legal tresspass area) of some places and let everyone going in there know what they are up against.  You don't usually have to do any of the crazy things you promise to do, but just tell them you have a lot of time on your hands to plot the demise of their business.  Don't get me wrong, I start off just as nice as I can be, but if the other party is not looking like they are going to work with me to right whatever wrong has been done, well, it is time to let them know that one or two screws may definitely be loose in this guy, and if complete satisfaction is not obtained, then there just is no telling what might be coming their way!  :evil4:
  Anyway, I hope you do manage to get this all sorted.  It's too beautiful a guitar to not be living up to all your expectations! 

GoDrex said:
Ah ok - well if anyone knows any ways to have the voodoo guitar curse taken off of me, please let me know. It's been going on for like 27 years or so. :evil4:

I'm sorry man, I really am.

guitlouie - you are absolutely right. I should be more like that. When someone does a half ass job on a guitar my frustration is so great that I just never want to be in the person's presence again. I don't have it in me to freak on them and then hand over the guitar and wait again. My first reaction it to just say frick them and try to find someone else. I live in a shite area for guitar techs I guess. I just keep hoping to find someone that can do some of the stuff I'm not equipped. But it's looking like more and that I'm fricked and will have to learn to do it all myself. I hate the fact that two days later I'm bringing my guitar back to a guy who is a professional from Martin guitar to show him how  friggin crappy a job he just did. I thought I was done. It's just inexplicable to me. He must be losing his eyesight or something. I don't know how he keeps his job. He seems like a nice guy that even offered to show me how to shape and install nuts. I can't figure out why he'd frick up the nut for my guitar so badly. I guess everyone has a bad day. He was talking about how he can do them in his sleep for christs sake!

I'm putting an attachment - I don't even know how I missed this at his place. In my defense I was in a hurry... :tard:

oh and let me assure you the Graphtech nut is NOT like this one at all.

Don't know in USA, but here in Brazil this means: he put the younger trainee to work without looking after...
And doesn't look nice this nut  :tard:

GD, that is a sad tale. I haven't had anywhere near your bad luck, but I did have two different techs at two extremely reputable LA-area shops totally screw up on nuts. One of them was this super-great store http://www.truetonemusic.com/.  Since I got some files and the Erlewine book, I've been golden. Partly I think it's time; it just takes time to carefully get the nut right, and techs are just hacking it out as fast as they can. I spent about 3 hours getting the nut right on that hardtail strat I just finished, just deepening slots and filing down the top, and it's so perfect it's hard to play my other guitars right now - the action is lower than I've ever been able to get, and with minimal buzz. If someone is charging you $50, they're probably spending 1/2 hr to make you a whole new nut, right? Just spank it out and get it on there. I'm thinking of shaping a new bone nut for my acoustic so that I can get a little more space for my fingers, that'll probably take a day or two to get a good one, but why not? I'ts more enjoyable than taking it to a crapshoot shop.

I'm just saying, get the tools and the book and diy, man. You can buy nut blanks for like $4 if you screw them up and no waiting.

That is what I've come too since the frustration I've experienced since April has just increased and doesn't seem to be ending. I just brought the guitar back and now it will have to be done to my satisfaction. Then I plan on never seeing a guitar tech or luthier again in my life - unless I really farg something up bad and have no choice. After this last episode I was feeling like I was losing my mind. You guys can see the string spacing on that thing right? RIGHT?! :tard:

Cowbell2.jpg

brothers??

Wow GD, that truly sucks!  We need to find you some kind of medicine man to take that 'whammy' off ya!   The spacing on that nut looks backwards, if you flipped it around (and filed the slots etc) it would be more accurate.

If the guys in your neck of the woods seem to have no clue and doesn't get it right this time, have you considered shipping it out?  Might even be a board member or three that would take it on or recommend someone, but if all else fails it might be a good option.  

A lot of us hold Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide" near and dear, and I definitely recommend buying it and learning it cover to cover.   The only time I shipped a guitar out (an old epiphone LP)  was before I learned myself.  I got lucky and followed the advice of one of my guitar teachers, I sent it to Athens Ohio.  http://www.danerlewine.com/guitar_repairs.html

Back