Custom GD Gold Top

looks better in person too - less yellow looking and more metallic gold. my camera is terrible... it actually looks pretty authentic i think.

found a guy on ebay selling decals. i really should do some sort of clear coat on it, but i probably won't for while. :tard:

GoDrex said:
looks better in person too - less yellow looking and more metallic gold. my camera is terrible... it actually looks pretty authentic i think.

found a guy on ebay selling decals. i really should do some sort of clear coat on it, but i probably won't for while. :tard:
I was just about to ask about the headstock saying Les Paul....Wondering obviously not a "Paul" neck, must be a decal of some sort.......  :icon_scratch:

Oh and that's a sweet axe....Gold tops are soooooo cool..

Thanks man - your neck plate is great addition to it too, IMO. This is my dream guitar and one I'll have for the rest of my life.

GoDrex said:
Thanks man - your neck plate is great addition to it too, IMO. This is my dream guitar and one I'll have for the rest of my life.
Kewl, love the wall mount..... :icon_thumright:

I got that thing for my Parker because its headstock won't allow it to hang from a normal wall hanger. But then I learned that they can hang from the top horn of the body. So now the LP in on that one, so I can gaze at it while I sit at the computer hehehe.

GoDrex said:
I got that thing for my Parker because its headstock won't allow it to hang from a normal wall hanger. But then I learned that they can hang from the top horn of the body. So now the LP in on that one, so I can gaze at it while I sit at the computer hehehe.
Nice, keep an eye on the equipement while talking about the equipement...... :icon_thumright:

Or just sit and stare........ :laughing7:

So I wrote in my first post that I didn't care for the SD Custom SH-5 - - well now my opinion has changed. For one thing I raised it up closer to the strings and it made a huge difference. I was really surprised how much actually. I never noticed much change before with other guitars, but with this the harshness totally mellowed out and the tone got much smoother, for lack of a better term. I also noticed with the Jazz I was getting some modulation sound on low notes, so I lowered it a little and that cleared up and it sounds really good.

I love playing with the switching combos - so far the split coils I use most for cleans. I've got mainly two different out of phase sounds that I think would be killer for some soloing situations. The two humbuckers in series is thick and loud - it's like the loudness button on a stereo - definitely usable. It's almost like you're playing with a bass player! hahaha - you can hear the treble of the bridge but the bass and thickness of the neck is there as well. I think my least favorite position is both pickups together in parallel - the standard middle position. I think it sounds the muddiest of all of them.

I finally got around to recording some sound clips of this guitar.

I've got three clips of me messing around with a clean tone, dirty and high gain.

Clean clips

The clean goes through the bridge, both, neck, neck split, both parallel out of phase.

Dirty clips

The dirty goes through bridge, both, neck, both series oop, both parallel oop.

High gain clips

the high gain is just the bridge and neck...

there's no effects on the signal except for reverb, delay and some compression

the clean tone is a fender black face type of amp sound

the dirty and high gain is a marshall type of sound

my amp is a Fender Cyber Deluxe and I recorded direct to my computer's sound card - no microphone.

Thanks. :)

What about it?

The plan changes all the time in my mind but I think what I'm going to do is do an Explorer next year and then maybe in a couple years and SG. I'm not going do the Iceman.

GoDrex said:
Thanks. :)

What about it?

The plan changes all the time in my mind but I think what I'm going to do is do an Explorer next year and then maybe in a couple years and SG. I'm not going do the Iceman.

I got my eye on you  :laughing7:

I love explorers, but I already have a nice one, so I don't think I'll be building one any time soon.  I am interested to see a completed Warmoth explorer though, so it'll be cool to see what you have in mind, especially with one killer build already under your belt.

Explorers are cool, I have a Gibson Reissue Korina, awesome giutar, however i don't like the neck it's too thick. i'm more used to my Jackson's, and the pick up's are weak.....But it's a beatiful guitar, I'd been eyeballing this one for a while, thought about doing a W style Explorer to compair the difference..... :dontknow:
MP87A.jpg

I like Explorers a lot - even Warmoth's funky one. I didn't even notice anything was different about it until those guys with the rulers started their thread about the shape being off. They were killing me!

Anyway I've got a 4 humbuckers laying around so I want to build guitars around them hehehe ;)

The Explorer will be either trans green or green burst on swamp ash. I want a FR bridge for it because I've never had a guitar with one and I feel like I need one to cover all the bases (and I don't have enough aggravation in my life already hahaha). The pick ups will be the JB and BLUSA 900 Mystery Pickup. I'll probably just do an explorer neck  - maple and rosewood - probably a Wizard profile - -cream pickguard and plastic - chrome hardware

The SG will probably be really weird. Because I have an SD Invader and a 59 - I'm thinking a very bright wood guitar to compensate - so maple body and neck and ebony fretboard - Boat profile. TOM bridge. Right now I'm thinking purple candy and all black hardware.

but this is years off so anything can happen...

GoDrex said:
I like Explorers a lot - even Warmoth's funky one. I didn't even notice anything was different about it until those guys with the rulers started their thread about the shape being off. They were killing me!

Anyway I've got a 4 humbuckers laying around so I want to build guitars around them hehehe ;)

The Explorer will be either trans green or green burst on swamp ash. I want a FR bridge for it because I've never had a guitar with one and I feel like a need one to cover all the bases (and I don't have enough aggrivation in my life already hahaha). The pick ups will be the JB and BLUSA 900 Mystery Pickup. I'll probably just do an explorer neck  - maple and rosewood - -cream pickguard and plastic - chrome hardware

The SG will probably be really weird. Because I have an SD Invader and a 59 - I'm thinking a very bright wood guitar to compensate - so maple body and neck and ebony fretboard. TOM bridge. Right now I'm thinking purple candy and all black hardware.

but this is years off so anything can happen...
Hmmmmm, not sure about the "green" and the cream colors together. Maybe with black and a maple fretboard.... :icon_thumright:

The SG sounds cool, the SD Invader is a sweet pup, should fit well with the '59. I have the Invader in my Koa/Korina VW. Really good for heavy chords....... :party07:

you'll have to trust me - green + cream = a dream hahaha :laughing7:

people voted against the mint pickguard on my white strat and that looks awesome :icon_thumright:

GoDrex said:
you'll have to trust me - green + cream = a dream hahaha :laughing7:

people voted against the mint pickguard on my white strat and that looks awesome :icon_thumright:
Hey, it's your guitar....... :dontknow:

Back