Custom GD Gold Top

HAHAHA Yeah Will is my younger brother. My parents put him up for adoption though.  :laughing7:

hmmm not sure if flipping it around would matter since the distance between each slot is different for each space, even if by a small amount. I was under the impression that spacing should be uniform. It was in measurements I took of the original Graphtech nut I had that I was told to bring along as a guide to the spacing. Anyway the guitar just feels weird to me to play. I'm used to guitars with uniform string spacing so that's what I expected. My MIM strat has better spacing than this. The E to A is the worst spot obviously, but if you were to count pixels, you'd see that they're all a little different from each other.

About the whammy - I'm pretty sure this Italian chick I liked in the 9th grade put a curse on me back then. I thought it just effected my love life but it seems to effect guitars too. :evil4:

If you, or anyone else in a similar situation were to ship your axe out for repair; I highly recommend these guys; they get everything from pre-war Martins to '52 LPs shipped in to repair and do as good of work as anybody anywhere:

http://www.massstreetmusic.com/store/show_info/3-Repairs

I have had nothing but excellent results from the folks at Zion Guitar Technology in NC.  They are a total custom shop but they do all sorts of repair work as well.  I was lucky enough to get a tour of thier shop recently.  They do some reallynice work.

They have done the electronics and setup on mine and my sons LP.  Both are stellar.

Bill

Thanks Jack and riverbluff...  hopefully it won't come to that.

I just read an e-mail that the guy re-doing the nut "upgraded" it to fossilized mammoth ivory, which I guess is good - I know nothing about that. I just wanted a bone nut. I guess he feels bad about it. I know it's more expensive. I'll get it tomorrow and if it's not cool I'm hitting eBay and selling all my gear hahahaha ;)

Italians are very alike brazilians bloke, so could be the little girl  :toothy12:

I've bought some fossilized mammoth ivory
icon_redface.gif

For what it worth, you're not alone, my good man, I've bad lucky for women, work, guitars, everything... :(

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all" 

I always feel I should cite a quote, but I'm not sure Albert King was the first person to ever say that.  He is just the first person I ever heard say it!

My understanding was that the spacing gets a hair further out as you go from treble to bass strings; stew mac sells a special 'ruler' just for this. It also looks from that picture like your E's could be a lot closer to the edges, giving you more space, but I guess that's personal preference. It's clearly messed up as is, that's unbelievable.

This is the first time I've taken a gander at this.  I love the fretboard.  The lack of blocks or dots really sets off the binding.  Beautiful, to say the least.  Kudos on the wiring.  I'm a big fan of switching options, even if they're never used.  The control layout hides them well and retains the stock look.  The push/pull was a wonderfulr invention.  Good job.

Hadn't understand well the last paragraph of your post...

Hope everything goes fine and even if don't, you don't give it away... if necessary, I get to build as many nuts as I need to make it right and send it to you, no kidding bloke!

Kick hard the butt of unfortunity, dude!  :icon_thumright:

tfarny said:
My understanding was that the spacing gets a hair further out as you go from treble to bass strings; stew mac sells a special 'ruler' just for this. It also looks from that picture like your E's could be a lot closer to the edges, giving you more space, but I guess that's personal preference. It's clearly messed up as is, that's unbelievable.

Of course - that makes perfect sense, and locking at my other guitars now, that's how they are. Good to know.

And thanks STDC - - the wiring is pretty cool. What I like about it most is the coil splitting on the neck pickup for cleans. It doesn't sound like a strat but it's got it's own cool tone for cleans that is one of my favorite clean tones Or clean with both pickups on and both split, or one or he other split. It all sounds cool. I also like the the series/out of phase tone  - sounds a lot like a Brian May tone, like the lead in Bohemian Rhapsody. Those are the best two unusual tones you can get from it IMO. I've yet to record with this guitar but I can definitely see playing around with different settings depending on the sound I'm going for or what I think fits or just sounds out of the ordinary.

Oh and in case anyone thinks that I really think I'm jinxed or whatever - I don't. It just feels like it when it comes to guitar. In just about every other way I'm really really lucky. :)

NonsenseTele said:
Hadn't understand well the last paragraph of your post...

Hope everything goes fine and even if don't, you don't give it away... if necessary, I get to build as many nuts as I need to make it right and send it to you, no kidding bloke!

Kick hard the butt of unfortunity, dude!  :icon_thumright:

Thanks - I'm just kidding. I'm not going to sell my stuff. I'll just cry and drink myself into a stupor :laughing3:

One of these things is not like the others,

strat%20nut.jpg

One of these things just doesn't belong,

parkernut.jpg

Can you tell which thing is not like the others...

ovationnut.jpg

By the time I finish my song?

lpnut.jpg

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
If you guessed this one is not like the others,
Then you're absolutely...right!

So I go to pick up my guitar with NEW re-done complimentary bonus mammoth cock installed and the low E and A are close together again (see the post above).

So I start looking at it and I can't believe my eyes. I say, Fred I guess you just like having the low E and A close together. Well, he starts telling me how it's dead on balls accurate and I can measure it and I do and it's off, and he's got my original Graphtech nut there (which for some reason he belt sanded down on the back so it's now completely useless) and it doesn't line up with that. So I say I guess I'm just crazy. He then says, you know what, you must be some kind of expert on nuts (which I felt like making a smart reply to but I bit my tongue) and that I must know much more about nuts than him, even though that's what he does for a living and I'm not going to get anything better anywhere else and I can just take my money back. So like the sucker I am I say no I'll just take the guitar and move on (to my next abomination - didn't really say that hahaha) - but he says no he doesn't want my money. So I say if you insist... and he says yeah I insist, take back your money (he then writes me a check) and take your cheap ass guitar and shove it up your ass, and go fudge yourself. Because I'm a cheap boom-boom - he's never dealt with anyone like me - no I'm not a cheap boom-boom, I'm a whole ass - and take the guitar and GTFO and he never wants to see me again and f this and cheap bastard that etc etc. I just smiled and kept my mouth shut. I thought about guitlouie for a moment and wondered what he would do, but I saw no other option than to just smile and leave.

So now I've got this awesome mamoth cock nut on my LP and it feels fudging weird to me because the string spacing is unlike any guitar I've ever owned or played.

Doctor, it's time for my shot of thorazine now.... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :tard: :toothy12: :laughing8: :laughing11: :laughing3: :binkybaby:

NonsenseTele said:
The third one is not very "right" too

Yeah the space is wide - that's my Ovation acoustic and I assume it's like that because it takes much fatter strings that an electric.

Well, if he cannot say that this nut is wrong, sorry show a pic of both nuts to Martin... Do it wrong is something, don't assume it is quite like ********* to me...

EDIT: Are you sure he changed the nut? looks so damn near the other...

Well, unsurprising I guess, right? And that pure petrified pachyderm pecker sure looks a lot like corian to me, too.
Stew Mac for you!

No I'm not sure he changed the nut. He says he did but I didn't have the other one very long so I'd know how it was well enough to say it's different. You can't tell much about how the nut material looks because the flash of the camera really whites it out. It doesn't look like corian - it's more of a cream color and the color is uneven. It probably is bone or ivory like he says, but who the hell knows. I don't even know if the sky is blue or if grass is green anymore. :toothy12:

So basically I wasted six 20 minute drives, and got cursed out and my LP nut is backward.

The weird thing is (and I just thought of this now) he's one of these weird guys that learned to play guitar upside down and backward. Lefty with the guitar strung the righty way. So maybe he makes his nuts the same way. F*ck if I know. I'm heavily medicated right now  (kidding kidding hehehe  :laughing7: )

Back