Custom GD Gold Top

GoDrex

goldtopfinal.jpg

Finally finished with it and I'm very happy with it. I assembled all of it except the hard parts: the nut and the wiring. It was stressful for me getting to this point, but now that it's done I can relax and enjoy it. Got it back from the shop today and played with it for a while and it played very well. I was getting comfortable with it right away. So far the only thing I don't think I'm happy with is the Duncan Custom SH-5. From my brief bit of playing it seemed a bit harsh with high gain, though I did think it sounded better clean and very good with a lower gain. I think it's good for like classic rock sounds more than metal. This isn't a bad thing and I just need to mess around with it some more and see what it's capable of. When I was playing the guitar, it seemed like all I wanted to do was blues-y type stuff. It seems like what this guitar is made for. I think in time this guitar will really grow on me and it will be the one I pick up the most.

OK here's the specs:

All mahogany carved top LP, hollow option, contour heal, - Gold top gold paint with cream binding - trans red back
Neck is mahogany as well with cream binding, rosewood fretboard - compound radius, no inlays, medium jumbo frets, Graphtech nut - conversion scale 24.75, 1 11/16 nut width - matching trans red back and black headstock - - I just put the Warmoth dark chrome logo on today
Planet Waves locking tuners
Duncan Custom SH-5 and Jazz SH-2 - Jimmy Page wiring - split coil, phase, series/parallel - 4 push pull long shaft pots.
Gotoh TOM bridge, chrome round top knobs, Schaller strap locks, custom neckplate by DangerousR6, of my initials (my design).

gtback.jpg

lpdecal.jpg

About the wiring. Yeah I know it's kind of ridiculous but I like having tons of options to mess with. Just from messing with it for an hour or so I'm pretty happy about the sounds it makes. The 2 pickups in parallel, out of phase sounds great to me - much better than the normal 2 pickups on sound. I already had a guitar with coil splitting and I like that sound for cleans.  For recording it will be fun. Would I use it much if I were in a band? Maybe not, but I'm not in a band so I don't care. Anyway, after playing a Strat for a while made me want some more tonal options, and I think this has it covered.

(BTW - if anyone is interested in this type of wiring, DO NOT use the diagram from seymourducan.com that says it's the Jimmy Page style wiring. It doesn't work. I tried it and it didn't work and I brought it to a tech and he tried it and it didn't work for him either. The real diagram is available at gibson.com)

My other impression of the guitar is that it has more sustain than any guitar I've had before. It doesn't really die out at all. With a little compression and some gain it just sustains forever. Pretty cool. Just like an LP should be right?

Now I have to wait until '09 for my trans green swamp ash Explorer OR a trans purple Iceman - not sure which will come first yet.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Soundclips

Clean clips

The clean goes through the bridge, both, neck, neck split, both parallel out of phase.

Dirty clips

The dirty goes through bridge, both, neck, both series oop, both parallel oop.

High gain clips

the high gain is just the bridge and neck...

I just played it for an hour and the verdict is in for me - it's the best guitar I've ever had. Really fun to play and sounds great, especially cleans. So mission accomplished.  :hello2:

I've pretty much come to the same conclusion with mine Drex.  It beats the crap out of the CE24, Tremonti Model, LP Standard, and LP Studio that I have owned in the past.  The two Gibson's were actually sold to fund my build so I am very happy that it turned out so well.

Beautiful guitar, you can't go wrong with a gold top :icon_thumright: Right choice to use a bound neck, binding always looks classier! I like the knobs also, simple but very cool looking.

I have a question for you since I have a LP body and planning my next build...
I was thinking of using two SD Alnico Pros but since I have a Jazz my next choice would be to pair it with a Pearly Gates. PG is also using alnico II bars like the Pros. How the Jazz sounds in a LP? Can you get a fat lead sound in a low/high gain setting? How are the clean sounds? I have done the out of phase & parallel switching on the bridge pickup of my SG so I will do it for both pickups this time. The out of phase sound reminds me a lot of BB King! You are right, this sound is different and useful in a recording. Sounds very hollow...

*Go for the Iceman :blob7: next time. It is by far my favorite BIG shape for guitar. There is a cool Iceman in the W gallery, green/blue flake with binding. That's how I'm planning mine, maybe with P-90's though as two guitars with HB's are too much for me.

Kostas said:
Beautiful guitar, you can't go wrong with a gold top :icon_thumright: Right choice to use a bound neck, binding always looks classier! I like the knobs also, simple but very cool looking.

I have a question for you since I have a LP body and planning my next build...
I was thinking of using two SD Alnico Pros but since I have a Jazz my next choice would be to pair it with a Pearly Gates. PG is also using alnico II bars like the Pros. How the Jazz sounds in a LP? Can you get a fat lead sound in a low/high gain setting? How are the clean sounds? I have done the out of phase & parallel switching on the bridge pickup of my SG so I will do it for both pickups this time. The out of phase sound reminds me a lot of BB King! You are right, this sound is different and useful in a recording. Sounds very hollow...

*Go for the Iceman :blob7: next time. It is by far my favorite BIG shape for guitar. There is a cool Iceman in the W gallery, green/blue flake with binding. That's how I'm planning mine, maybe with P-90's though as two guitars with HB's are too much for me.

While I'm not normally a fan of modern rock shapes, I do have a soft spot for the iceman. Cool, balanced shape and P90s sounds a good call.

thanks for  the comments guys :)

about the Iceman - the first guitar I ever had was a cheap Ibanez Iceman - so my thought is to sort of return to that but with a much better guitar. The original body was plywood hhehehe ;) Warmoth doesn't do the old ibanez headstock but i used a Jackson style neck years ago on the Iceman body and it looked great so that's what i'll do this time. But that's at least a year away.

about the SD Jazz - I've only used it for a couple hours, but I think it sounds very sweet - not muddy at all, very clear and very good clean. Haven't played much with it alone with distortion, but my first impression was that it was good. I didn't find anything bad about it, unlike the Custom in the bridge.

I'm loving that GoldTop.  It looks so nice with that nice clean neck wi' no inlays. 
That is a great effort.

Thanks - my thought with this was to get the classic look but do it in my way somewhat. I always wanted a gold top, but I don't have a fortune to spend and I don't like the Epiphone ones. A while back I got a Parker guitar and it has an ebony fingerboard with no inlays and I realized how much I liked that style. And I've always liked the way certain Gretch guitars looked. I'm not real flashy so I like things that look cool but are a little understated. So I sort of started out to make a gold top replica and then decided that I didn't want the block inlays, and I didn't want the gold plastic knobs (still debating on getting the cream pickguard). Also I was originally going to go with trans brown for the back, but thought red might give it something different and I'm happy with that. Oh and the modern tuners make it a bit different as well. So I think it's got the parts that need to be on a LP (for me) and other things to make it a little bit different from anything you'll get from Gibson. Anyway Warmoth did a great job on it (despite nearly giving me a heart attack with the neck binding) and I doubt I'll ever buy and off the rack guitar again.

Awesome build dude!  I love the clean look, and everything ties together nicely.  You pulled it off perfectly!  :hello2:

"The Devils in the details" as they say, but I'm glad everything came together for you GD.  What a beautiful axe, classic and smooth  :rock-on:

Thanks. :)

For me the devil was in the binding... gotta watch that binding. Be careful with the binding. It may cause pre-mature grey-ness and/or heart failure, and definitely dizziness and nausea. ??? :tard:

grrreat build!  :cool01:

Go for the Iceman in the next one! Trans purple with matching headstock...
I believe something like the Ken Lawrence headstock will look the best (without that butt ugly lowered part, of course)
And don't forget that you can draw your own headstock in the real size and they do it, you can do something alike the original Ibanez or any other that you like (I believe one a little less radical than Lawrence one, but alike would be the best bet)

Well that's not really what I have planned. I haven't decided yet on which (Explorer or Iceman) to do first  - but which ever one will have my old Jackson style maple/rosewood neck that was on my POS warmoth Star (no dig on warmoth, just don't ever get a Star in basswood if you need to play standing up with a strap). This guitar will get the old pickups (JB and my Lawrence L-900 - the mystery pickup).

If I do the Iceman, the Explorer will have to wait - though I definitely want one. I'm not as sure about the Iceman. Part of my wants an SG and that was what I had planned originally. But I kind of want to get a guitar to bring me back to my beginnings. So I'm leaning towards the Iceman at some point. Just not sure which is going to be completely new and which will be a replacement body yet. I'll figure it out though.

here - have a laugh at this stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-bxEM6lwn8

something old and something new:

the guitar in the in the videos became the Star after the neck pocket started to break apart - due to me bending the neck and the fact that the body was made of a kind of plywood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhKK4XVuW8Y

Nice hair :laughing7:
well, I like the idea of building a better version of a "bad" but important guitar that you had...
But I would be confused too, Explorer are nice and some SGs are outstanding (I prefer them in black, as Mr Young)
But nowadays the Iceman are not very used, so one point more to them...

Back