Crazy Blue Flame Maple Strat! - FINISHED!!!

Ah good more parts ordered...

I notice you mentioned using a tremel-no, you might want to take  a look at my post here.

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22445.msg338072#msg338072

You will see there that I ended up not using the tremel-no on that guitar but will use it on a future build. I was going to comment on it then as what I would do next time prior to screwing in the claw is locate the screws through the claw but prior to screwing them in place a backplate across the top of the claw as a check that it will fit flush. If you look at post 69 in the thread I linked to you can see some masking tape I have used to make sure the claw I did use was correct.  If you use a backplate across there when fitting the screws and claw you may be able check as you work.

Whatever, just about every guitar part design has flaws. I'm using the Tremol-no.

Got the parts in from StewMac today, everything seems to be in order.
Except for the neck. I have to wait till at least April 4th!  :(

JoshHPMusic said:
Whatever, just about every guitar part design has flaws. I'm using the Tremol-no.

I think based on the comment above you missed the point.

I am not saying not to use the tremel-no I was attempting to give you some insight into aligning the claw screws and a possible problem you may have and how to avoid it so that you can use it.

I get it, I just guess I'm tired of being talked out of guitar parts because they are "bad".

But I know you weren't trying to do that, and thanks for the info.

I did look at your post, and one thing that looks like it could have caused the problem was how far you screwed the termol-no screws into the body. It looked like they were barely even in there! They wouldn't have enough grip to stay straight.

Ok, good.

The screws are far enough into the body. But if the angle of the pilot holes is too high to start with or you can't get a low enough angle when using a screw driver it could be either of these.

You need a long enough screw driver and a towel on the body to avoid marking it and get as low an angle as you can get.

Here's an update!

The parts are in, meaning everything EXCEPT for the body and neck. Pretty important components, I guess.

Ken's Roadhouse P90's arrived, looking great, and I'm sure sounding great! He wound me two P90's for the bridge and middle, and a "P80" for the neck, which sounds a little more like a single coil strat pickup. The middle is RWRP, of course. And Ken is amazing, he gave me an absolutely amazing deal for pickups that I'm sure will blow me away, and suggested his P80 which will rawk. And he also sent a high quality capacitor that I will use, since I'm sure he knows exactly what goes best with his pups. Thanks Ken!!

Sperzel staggered height tuners (so no string tree), switchcraft output jack, 500k CTS pots for tone, and I will have a 500K Push-Push pot in the volume, so I can activate the neck pup at any time. And I have a .001uF Orange Drop for the treble bleed mod.

I got the copper shielding kit from StewMac, with grounding wires and everything. Also got the Tremol-No, which I'm feeling confident about. I will have a hole cut in the trem cover so the thumbscrews will always be accessible.

The face of the headstock will be painted glossy black, and I have a satin silver Fender stratocaster decal logo, that will match the satin silver tuners and Wilkinson trem.

And lastly, I got a pretty cool neck plate, engraved with some special laser that makes it more vibrant from certain angles. basically, it says "Custom" on a scroll-type-thing, and Limited Edition, 001. That's one special serial number!

Please, tell me if you would like pictures of the parts.

So it has been exactly 5 weeks since I ordered the body. I know Warmoth estimates at 8-10 weeks, but it seems like they sometimes ship in more like 6-8 weeks. Anyone else have experiences like these?

And the neck should be here soon. Will post pictures.

Actually, I was not aware of those templates, and I will use them, thank you!

So the pics of the parts I have so far are all attached.

1. First, the box.

2. Then I open the box.

3. Large Copper Shielding Kit, with all grounding wires needed to make sure the shielding works to its full potential, and keeps the P90's quitter. Comes with instructions, which is cool.

4. Here's the custom neck plate, pickguard screws, and knob pointers. Also, a .022uf Orange Drop that I will not be using now, the switchcraft output, two CTS 500k tone pots, .001uf Orange Drop for treble bleed, GraphTech TUSQ XL nut, tremolo arm tip, and 5 way selector switch.

5. The Allparts Tremol-No, and Sperzel 6-inline locking tuners, staggered. A nice satin silver.

6. Ken's custom Roadhouse True Blue P90's. Looking good! The bridge and middle are normal P90's, wound to specification by Ken, and the middle is RWRP. The neck is what he calls a "P80". It's like a P90, but also like a single coil strat pup. Best of both worlds. On the right you can see the included mounting hardware, and the capacitor he included.

7. Silver Fender Stratocaster decal that will go nicely with the black headstock and satin silver tuners and bridge.

8. Finally, a nice new Gator Case! It fits most of my other electrics, and has some good storage space.

Any questions?

-Josh

Attachments

• IMG_5090.jpg
    IMG_5090.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9873.jpg
    IMG_9873.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5867.jpg
    IMG_5867.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7549.jpg
    IMG_7549.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9538.jpg
    IMG_9538.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1739.jpg
    IMG_1739.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 3
And I almost forgot, here's a complete and updated rendering of what the guitar will look like! Made by me, so it isn't perfect.

Attachments

• FullView3.jpg
    FullView3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 23
Yes indeed!

Hey stratamania, do you happen to know which Tremol-No cover template corresponds to Warmoth's backplate? There is SuperStrat, Vintage, and Mr. Reed. Which one is it?

Here you are ...

http://www.tremol-no.com/images/vintagebackplate.jpg

The Mr ReedSmoth one is for PRS and is a trapezoid shape  and the Superstrat has no slot for putting the strings through your normal tremelo block. This would be for Floyd Rose and similar trems as you don't thread any strings through from the back on those.

So the one you want says Vintage, which probably means standard strat type styles.

You could also elongate the square for the tremel-no nuts into a rectangle that extends to the string slot to make an offset T shape cutout, this is what you tend to see on the back of Suhr's fitted with the tremel-no device.

Yes, I was orginally thinking of doing something like that. But I had actually chosen the 6 hole cutout on the trem cover, because it looks cool, so that wouldn't really work. I think I'll stick with the template!  :icon_thumright:

Alright people, so the body will hopefully arrive within a few weeks, as it has been about 7 weeks since ordering.

But heres a different question: What is the best and safest diagonally-oriented wall hanger I can get?

I really would like to hang it up in either a diagonal or horizontal orientation (diagonal is better), and I want her to be safe and sound.
It seems to me like having the part that holds the neck be closer to the body than the headstock is better. If the neck rests higher up, would that be putting more stress on it?

I assume that a diagonal direction would also help reduce stress on the neck, as more of the weight is supported by the body holder.

I have seen the standard String Swing one piece hanger: http://www.amazon.com/String-Swing-Horizontal-Guitar-Instruments/dp/B0002II98K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396723476&sr=8-1&keywords=string+swing+horizontal+holder

But to me it seems like this would be better: http://www.amazon.com/String-Swing-BCC15N-3-Horizontal-Instrument/dp/B005SUWEQK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396723544&sr=8-1&keywords=string+swing+horizontal+holder+2

I think a 2 piece holder would probably be better, as I could get the neck holder part to be closer to the neck joint, which may put less stress on the thing.

Thanks guys,
-Josh

tl;dr:  Your worry is ill placed; buy what you think will look best, as long as it holds the guitar securely.

Rather than consider which hanger will be least likely to harm the neck joint, how about making the neck joint as sturdy as possible?  I'm talking about threaded neck inserts, which will fasten the neck so securely that it will be virtually impossible for the neck to fail at the heel.  Realistically, seven to nine pounds of guitar is really unlikely to harm the neck along it's length anyway, if it's at rest in a stand or hanging rack.  You are technically correct that there is greater leverage and thus a greater likelihood of the neck flexing if the weight rests on a point further toward the headstock, but if your neck is of high quality and is soundly attached, you're going to be fine no matter.

Alright, thanks. I went with the 2 piece string swing hanger, which I'm really excited about! I trust that the parts and assembly are reliable enough that I will be able to display the guitar without issues, and without threaded inserts. If anything happens, I'm sure they can be added on later.

As of now, it's been a little over 8 weeks since I ordered the body! Hopefully it won't be much longer till she ships out?

One more question: are these "Raw Vintage" tremolo springs really worth it? I mean, 5 springs, 22 bucks?

Personally I would not bother with raw vintage springs. From my point of view they are springs...

Start with three normal springs that come with the tremolo, if the guitar sounds good then job done.

JoshHPMusic said:
One more question: are these "Raw Vintage" tremolo springs really worth it? I mean, 5 springs, 22 bucks?

I tend to doubt it, but I don't have the raw numbers to prove it yet. Somebody here, I'm sorry I don't remember who, bought me a set of those "raw vintage" springs to compare them to some other sets. I bought some instrumentation, built a jig, collected up 5 or 6 other sets of springs from various sources with variable claims, and intended to do a study where I'd graph out the variables to show how the things performed.

I got part of the way through it, but other things came up and I set it aside. I still have everything I need to complete it, but I just haven't as of yet. What I did learn, as far as I went, was that there was no difference - at least in the sets I tested.

Again, I can't prove it yet, but I suspect there's more marketing hype in spring sets than any measurable difference. It's unlikely that these various suppliers are actually making the springs they sell - they're buying them from the 1 or 2 manufacturers that make them, packaging them, and adding whatever verbiage they think will sell them to the ads. The power of suggestion is tremendous, so simply telling your market that you have "The Magical Elixir" is enough to get many to open their wallets.

8 weeks, 2 days, and ORDER HAS SHIPPED!  :toothy10:  :toothy12:  :hello2:  :cool01:

Estimated delivery is Monday, the 21st.

This will be a very difficult 5 days.

JoshHPMusic said:
8 weeks, 2 days, and ORDER HAS SHIPPED! 

Yippie  :toothy10:

Up to page 8 and finally we get to see some lumber .........  soooooooooooooon

:redflag:  Here's something that will keep you real busy for the 5 day wait.  :laughing7:
http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Spotlight=1&Path=Body

Back