Coronavirus Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our country is shut down because, unlike Singapore, South Korea, and some others we didn't learn from the past and get our systems and infrastructure prepared for something like this. But that's past crying for now. So now, it's knee jerk reaction time. And this does seem to have the potential for turning into something far worse than it is now. I don't necessarily agree with what's being done, but is there a better way of trying to ensure that more people don't die. 

Cactus Jack said:
370K folks in the US have been tested. 80K have tested positive, meaning 290K, or 78% of the sample size have tested negative. Of the 80K folks who have tested positive about 1K have passed away, meaning the mortality rate is 1.25%.

Please remind, not joking, why is our country shut down again? Why are we panicked?

A negative test doesn't mean you're immune.

The 290k, or 78% of the sample size who tested negative can still catch this disease.  Very, very easily.  Along with all the other people in the country.  Every one of these 80 thousand (more from the numbers I just read) are virus factories - pumping it out for several weeks.

And if enough people catch it at the same time, then hospitals become completely overrun.  People who don't have the disease start to die because of the overcrowding, lack of attention, lack of time, lack of supplies.  Mistakes happen and you lose medical practitioners to disease at the time they're most needed, and there are no replacements available.  It already happened in Italy.  It certainly looks like it's starting to happen in New York right now.  Prevention is off the table, the hope now is to limit the damage.

Has anyone here been able to play more guitar?  I’m working at home and it’s taking up more time then when I was going to the office. 

I’ve been to those places, Singapore and Hong Kong, and they learned from sars.  We were spared the brunt of sars for whatever reason;  I was in Hong Kong during sars and I can tell you this is the first time for our country to experience something like this.All things considered we’re doing good.  We’re learning as we go along. You gotta put this in perspective.  We’re smart people and we’ll figure it out.

I’ve been to those places, Singapore and Hong Kong, and they learned from sars.  We were spared the brunt of sars for whatever reason;  I was in Hong Kong during sars and I can tell you this is the first time for our country.  All things considered we’re doing good.  You gotta put this in perspective. 

Your right, we didn't experience that personally. But we do have probably the best systems in the world for obtaining information about what's happening in the rest of the world. We could use it a little better in that respect. And yes, we're doing good, those of us that are still alive that is. Their probably over doing the whole thing, but how long do you wait before it's time to act seriously, what number of essentially unnecessary deaths is the point for action. I don't know, I'm just glad that I'm not the one that has to decide.

Rick said:
Has anyone here been able to play more guitar?  I’m working at home and it’s taking up more time then when I was going to the office. 

We are in the middle of painting exterior and interior of our house, guitar time is in pretty short supply. But the good news is the house is looking good and just today I got our rainwater harvesting system re-commissioned. So that is exciting.
Photo%20Mar%2025%2C%202%2057%2046%20PM%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

Nice looking system there. How much do you capture on average? I realize it depends on rainfall per year.

Thanks! The tanks are 865 gallons each, and they are always full. We don't use all that much of it presently, but when it rains the tanks fill very quickly from the gutter system. Formerly, the tanks were on opposite sides of the house. For a few different reasons we opted to tie them together in this location when we re-did the system after dismantling it for the house painting. It has reduced how much roof surface area they have draining to them, but I think it will still be more than plenty to fill them quickly. We are in the desert, but when it rains, it really rains.

We are in the desert, but when it rains, it really rains.

I have heard that. When it's not raining I suspect your kinda glad you have those though. I remember when I was in Manila, it didn't always rain, but when it did you quickly started to believe the idea of a guy building an Ark. :icon_thumright:

PhilHill said:
I have heard that. When it's not raining I suspect your kinda glad you have those though. I remember when I was in Manila, it didn't always rain, but when it did you quickly started to believe the idea of a guy building an Ark. :icon_thumright:

Ha! Indeed, you can never have too much water on hand in the desert. We mostly use it for watering plants and such, but we have a Berkey water filter in the house and and have had the filtered tank water analyzed by a lab and found it to be perfectly suitable for human consumption. That is a big "warm & fuzzy" right there.

I've decided to start calling it the "Touchscreen Virus". Pass it on.

Rick said:
I’ve been to those places, Singapore and Hong Kong, and they learned from sars.  We were spared the brunt of sars for whatever reason;  I was in Hong Kong during sars and I can tell you this is the first time for our country to experience something like this.All things considered we’re doing good.  We’re learning as we go along. You gotta put this in perspective.  We’re smart people and we’ll figure it out.

Coronavirus: Prime Minister Boris Johnson tests positive
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52060791

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F29015092-6fab-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

I have talk about face mask buying panic mode in HK , also all countries got lower number everyone wear face mask when go out . The number speaks for itself.

so there is some voice beginning to promote DIY face mask , Some government may not want said this as real mask are shortage for medical practitioners , but DIY something can still lower the % by a lot when go out .
[youtube]qFmaSNP6_z4[/youtube]

Rick said:
That is cool, what’s that hook in the back for?

The hook is unrelated, it is an unused bird feeder hangar that just happens to be leaned up in that corner.

Hendrix said:

Even the graph looks like something is coming to get you. (Nervous laughter)

Thanks for this graph. That graph is telling but it would be more accurate to be about the percentage of population. If you compare where I live to San Francisco, the population here is 3000 including the surrounding area (Aromas has no city limits). San Francisco is 883,000+ just within the city limits. 100 people in SF is way less of a percentage than 100 people would be here in Aromas. A graph starting at 100 comparing these two places would be a bit inaccurate of a representation. That's a gross example but it demonstrates what my point. I'd like to see that data done to reflect the size of each country and the % of population infected.

Also, here's a good video of how to protect yourself bringing food into your home.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDuwc9KBps&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

-VB- said:
Even the graph looks like something is coming to get you. (Nervous laughter)

Yes , number are worring, jump from 2 to over 60 per day.
It unstoppable as Hongkong call ourselves “ world city “ , still ten thousands of people coming in and out of city eve day , especially from China.
Street still more people then in NY nows days , bus still full on rush hours, as not everyone can work form home .
Today government take more extreme rule , no more then 4 people can gathering out of home or office , but event government not sure how to implementing it as law , or facing what kind of challenge in consequences . like humans right / business laws sued etc .

Here is photo of tonight news .
Playground basketball being dismantled, all public facilities going to closed .
91149657_1486302871546142_1961258259796983808_n.jpg

Rgand said:
  I'd like to see that data done to reflect the size of each country and the % of population infected.

yes , but  graph still can view as how deep of slope is day by day .

Especially south Korea seems got it under control ( china data not real ) and fattening the curve.

I think that it's hard to get our heads around the impact it's having in dozens of areas. For example, in Belgium we are expecting to see increased deaths from unrelated health issues, like people with cardiac issues or a stroke not going to the hospital, either because they are scared of catching Coronavirus, or worried that they will be taking up capacity needlessly. Other end of the spectrum, nearly no traffic deaths because most severe accidents involve cars or trucks ramming into a traffic jam, and with 50% less cars on the road there are no traffic jams to bang into. Air pollution having gone down will also have an impact on health figures so it's going to be impossible to ever work out the real impact the crisis has had just on mortality figures, let alone all the rest.

Hendrix said:
Rgand said:
  I'd like to see that data done to reflect the size of each country and the % of population infected.

yes , but  graph still can view as how deep of slope is day by day .

Especially south Korea seems got it under control ( china data not real ) and fattening the curve.
It does show the benefit of masks.

Rgand said:
Thanks for this graph. That graph is telling but it would be more accurate to be about the percentage of population. If you compare where I live to San Francisco, the population here is 3000 including the surrounding area (Aromas has no city limits). San Francisco is 883,000+ just within the city limits. 100 people in SF is way less of a percentage than 100 people would be here in Aromas. A graph starting at 100 comparing these two places would be a bit inaccurate of a representation. That's a gross example but it demonstrates what my point. I'd like to see that data done to reflect the size of each country and the % of population infected.

Also, here's a good video of how to protect yourself bringing food into your home.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDuwc9KBps&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Well, this site gives the ratio of number of cases and deaths per 1 mil people if that helps any.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

For those of you (US Forum Members) how do you think folks will use their stimulus checks? Spend it on stuff, pay off debt, invest, save,
pay bills? In general, my guess is folks will pay bills, pay a debt, buy stuff, save, and invest in that order? Do you have any plans for your check...like a Meadowhawk or Redshifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back