Coronavirus Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cactus Jack said:
For those of you (US Forum Members) how do you think folks will use their stimulus checks? Spend it on stuff, pay off debt, invest, save, pay bills? In general, my guess is folks will pay bills, pay a debt, buy stuff, save, and invest in that order? Do you have any plans for your check...like a Meadowhawk or Redshifter?

If one comes my way, I'll probably hold on to it until the bill arrives next April...

Might buy a couple small things. Most of it will go in the bank, probably going to have to move sometime this year and it would be very handy for that.

PhilHill said:
Might buy a couple small things. Most of it will go in the bank, probably going to have to move sometime this year and it would be very handy for that.

I don't envy you. Moving is a pain, but a few extra bucks will certainly make it better!

Details are nebulous at the point.  Guitar will have a warmoth body and neck and the bike will get me to work.

Here is an alternative to do with your $1000 if you don't need it. Wait and then use it to help fund something charitable to help those who end up less fortunate who may end up in a bad situation due to the way things are going.

I plan to hang on to it. I got laid of 9 months ago. My current company is "essential" and they've rarely had layoffs in the past, but I'm sort of gunshy right now.

stratamania said:
Here is an alternative to do with your $1000 if you don't need it. Wait and then use it to help fund something charitable to help those who end up less fortunate who may end up in a bad situation due to the way things are going.

The crisis do united people, the NGO / pro-poor group in Hong Kong give out free Mask to old and poor people don’t know how to order online . Also ask people if find street cleaner or homeless people don’t have mask , give them a spare one , to help not flood the hospitals. Sooner the pro-government/ pro-rich group following, as they worried lost vote on next election . So helping the unfortunate do help fattening the curves, you don’t have the freedoms to go out , even that the homeless people got sick and pushing up the curves.

the whole world is on the same boat. Most of the new case this week we have are from people back to HK from around the world.

[youtube]L6tVw-9rfRc[/youtube]

for thanks and gives back USA support in 2019 , we have NGO group send mask to NY , where much of support need now.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/HongKongers4US?src=hash

@hongkongers4us
We have successfully distributed some of our masks to the Mount Sinai Hospital (New York City) and Elmhurst hospital in Queens!

Over US$100,000 has been raised for #HongKongers4US in less than 24 hours

The solidarity that #HongKongers have for frontline medical staff in the US is just astounding

Attachments

• USA.jpg
    USA.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 168
stratamania said:

It's a nice idea, but one can also say these folks have been beyond generous. Not only have these folks paid trillions to bailout the auto industry, trillions to bail out the banking industry, and trillions to support global initiatives. They have done so with their hard earned money, taxes, sacrificed their jobs, sacrificed their homes, and have paid with blood, sweat, and tears. Many, have paid with their lives. Personally, I view this as a lone bright spot in very dark times, and no matter how folks choose to use their check, GOD BLESS them, and I hope it brings folks a glimmer of peace and joy.

yo i wish i was in a place where i could use a free $1.2k check for stuff like Warmoth parts. if I have bills or debt at that time due, it's going there. if not, or if any is left, it's going to a local animal shelter. if your well enough off that $1200 is completely #superfluous to your lifestyle (i'm not at all saying that's a bad thing or you're a bad person), i implore you to at least merely consider the idea of putting it to use another way.

There is no “free”. Most of us receiving a check will get billed for it in our taxes. If you aren’t in dire need of the funds presently, future-you will appreciate it if you save it for next April.

-VB- said:
There is no “free”. Most of us receiving a check will get billed for it in our taxes. If you aren’t in dire need of the funds presently, future-you will appreciate it if you save it for next April.

Unlike the 2008 stimulus checks, the current checks are treated as an advanced tax credit and therefore not taxable income to recipients.

You are 100% correct about "free," folks will repay them a million times over as we continue to subsidize corporations and global relief efforts.

Cactus Jack said:
-VB- said:

Unlike the 2008 stimulus checks, the current checks are treated as an advanced tax credit and therefore not taxable income to recipients.

You are 100% correct about "free," folks will repay them a million times over as we continue to subsidize corporations and global relief efforts.

It might not be taxed income, but the sum total will definitely be part of the math for determining just how much we pay on our income that IS taxable. Whatever ledger column is comes from, as you say, it will be repaid many-fold.

Cactus Jack said:
-VB- said:

So without corporations to provide employment, provide products and services that are used by people, without public services including health services and without global relief there would not be much left of civilisation as we know it. Do nothing and there will be far more problems than doing something to sort things out.

People need to be put ahead of everything in this pandemic. This is not business as usual folks.

I spoke with my local bike shop today and they were thrilled that I wanted to make an appointment to buy a bike.  That's how they do it these days.  It'll help them pay the rent and eat a meal.  I'll be able to get to work.  Made me feel good.

stratamania said:
Cactus Jack said:
-VB- said:

So without corporations to provide employment, provide products and services that are used by people, without public services including health services and without global relief there would not be much left of civilisation as we know it. Do nothing and there will be far more problems than doing something to sort things out.

People need to be put ahead of everything in this pandemic. This is not business as usual folks.

I need to re-read your post as it’s not quite landing with me.

I often wonder what folks would do if they were actually put first. Yes, we might live in a world without GM, Wells Fargo, and United Air. Wall Street would most likely look very different. The insurance industry and big oil would be reimagined. Their would certainly be short term pain, but my goodness, Americans are amazing. The thought leadership, innovation, and artistic creativity these folks demonstrate is inspiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back