Changing Fretboard Radius?

Micahbell

I am conflicted.
I really want a 7.25" radius on my new bass neck, but Warmoth only offers 10".
If I ordered an unfretted Warmoth neck, and took it to somebody would it be possible for them to change the radius to what I want?
or is this something that should not be messed with?

It's not really something you can mess with. Theoretically you could carve a 7,25 radius DOWN to a 10", but you can't "add wood" to go the opposite direction.

http://www.musicplayer.com/article/fretboard-radius/Sep-06/23104
That website says the higher the number the flatter - is this incorrect?
Because then you could carve the 10 down to a 7.25 and not the other way around.
Or am I miss-interpreting?

You're misinterpreting, you'd wind up with a neck too thin that would warp/twist very easily; bass strings exert a LOT of pressure

Rats. It looks like I am stuck with the 10" or ebay a Fender 62 RI...but I want to go Warmoth, and the idea of buying a neck online that I have never touched makes me nervous.

Have you spoken to Warmoth about this? Perhaps they could do one for you as a custom order.  :dontknow: It could work out a lot better and cheaper than messing around with (or having to replace) an existing fingerboard.

What you would want is a neck with a slotted, unradiused fretboard. You could then take it to a luthier and have them radius the fretboard and install the frets and position markers. I'm not sure if Warmoth would sell a neck that raw but it never hurts to ask. Try asking for the 7.25 radius while you're at it and save yourself the headache of finding a luthier who would do the mods for you.

Radius measurements are based on the radius of a circle in feet. Picture a circle with a 7.25' radius. Now take a 1 3/4" section of that circle and it is a 7.25 neck radius. Higher radius's are flatter and smaller ones feel more curved.

Max said:
Isn't that what Warmoth does? (sells necks online you've never touched)
Yes and no. What I mean is buying one from ebay I have no idea of the neck is warped, if it feels like crap, if the fretwork is shite, if there is some damage they don't mention... Buying from Warmoth is a respected company, you minimize most of that stuff, the only thing you don't know is if you won't like the feel of what ever exotic wood you are going for (if you do), but the sales staff are great and make you as comfortable as possible before your purchase - if you ask questions that is.

Willyk - I called sales today and they said they don't, but I will send an email to the custom shop and see what they say. If Warmoth would do it I would MUCH rather have them do it.

Mr. Hack - Skuttlefunk makes necks? No offense to him, but I wouldn't really want to do that, for the same reason I don't like ebaying necks. I would trust a well known member here more then a random ebay seller for damage and stuff, but I still don't know about quality of build and the feel of it and without playing one wouldn't want to order.

Micahbell said:
Because then you could carve the 10 down to a 7.25 and not the other way around.

The radius of the neck is exactly that.  The curve you would have of a circle that has the radius of 7.5" or whatever.  The larger the radius the bigger the circle is, so flatter.

Blue313 said:
Micahbell said:

The radius of the neck is exactly that.  The curve you would have of a circle that has the radius of 7.5" or whatever.  The larger the radius the bigger the circle is, so flatter.
Blue is correct, the radius is half the diameter of the circle. So if you got a radius of 7.5 the circle is 15 inches. And as Blue said the larger the radius the bigger the circle. Thus since the neck is only a portion of the circle the flatter the neck will be.

Ahhh
Warmoth can't do it, but after going to a store and playing one for a long time I have decided I really want it, so it looks like I wont be going warmoth at all this time around.
:(

Back