Caught my stepson in bed with our rhythm guitarist's daughter....

There will be a refreshing of the "Sex Ed" and "importance of Condoms" in our regular discussions with the lad.  As my wife discussed it with her son yesterday, he said all they did was kiss and that he felt bad because he likes his girlfriend better (he does have a cool girlfriend who's always telling him to do what his mother says, be nice etc.. and just got a concussion from stage diving and crowd surfing at the Offspring/Taking Back Sunday/The Used concert the other night, so she's extra cool).  He said it was Erik's daughter who was leading the charge on their makeout session, which is beleivable as she's made her interest in him to be no secret to my daughter & stepdaughter. 

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone, I don't see myself picking up any rocks.  I can't be too angry, in fact I can't be angry at him at all.  I was much worse and far less informed at that age.

I suppose he does deserve a few "high fives", but as matter of my position as his stepdad, and bandmate of the girl's dad, those high fives cant come from me.  Though, both girls are quite cute.  Of course, if the tables were turned, I suppose I'd be a little more irked.  And for me they will be in a few years and both my daughter and stepdaughter are extremely cute (karma is a nasty bitch) and both 12, and I've seen guys already start checking them out.

Honestly, I really don't know what this thread is about.  The title doesn't really have anything to do with the video posted, and the video seems to be a way to show off those woody pickups, and with sound and looks being subjective, I really don't care for them.  This thread is basically, "I caught my son messing around.  Here's my band.  Look at my guitar."  What?

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Honestly, I really don't know what this thread is about.  The title doesn't really have anything to do with the video posted, and the video seems to be a way to show off those woody pickups, and with sound and looks being subjective, I really don't care for them.  This thread is basically, "I caught my son messing around.  Here's my band.  Look at my guitar."  What?

Well, the video was from just before the kids got busted.

And this entire discussion forum is all about "Look at my cool guitar".  So there you go. 

Vol. Knob said:
Well, the video was from just before the kids got busted.

And this entire discussion forum is all about "Look at my cool guitar".  So there you go.  

Again, using your kid's promiscuity as an excuse to pimp your band and guitar?  The title of the thread in the "Off Topic" category is a human interest type story and interesting enough.  Most people can symphathise with trying to keep a teenager on the straight and narrow.  Most of us on this forum having been teenage boys can even understand your son.  It's how it ties into the title of the thread, the video, and the discussion that ensued that threw me for a loop.  Everything was so random.

My grandfather died in 1984.  I can probably find the grocery list my grandmother made before it happened and post that.  There may have even been a cool guitar in the room.  Nothing has anything to do with anything, and it's rare to see one hi-jack their own thread in the very first post.  That's all I'm saying, and this is in good fun, so please don't be upset with me.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
My grandfather died in 1984.  I can probably find the grocery list my grandmother made before it happened and post that.  There may have even been a cool guitar in the room. Nothing has anything to do with anything, and it's rare to see one hi-jack their own thread in the very first post.  That's all I'm saying, and this is in good fun, so please don't be upset with me.

What kind of guitar?

I suppose the video would be more topical if the girl in question was named "Candy".    But hey, my first time was with a girl named Candy.  But neither of our parents play musical instruments in a band together.

Are you gonna tell the girlfriend?  Have you thought how?  This is how I'd do it.  The next time she's over, get the two of them alone and tell her there's something your son wants to tell her.  It's more humiliating to him if he had to do it in front of you, not mention look her in the eye and say it.  Maybe he'll think twice about next time and realize his hormones can hurt other people.  If you add 10 years to their ages, this might have been a marriage ending.  Then again, maybe they have an open relationship and it's cool.  She might even say something like, "That's okay, I messed around with one of your friends awhile back." 

Nah, as I'm just the stepdad, I'm staying out of it.  He's an odd kid, kinda crazy, super intelligent, hates authority, etc.  I'll leave it to him to sabotage himself, it always works out best when I do, and he always sabotages himself like a pro.

Vol. Knob said:
Nah, as I'm just the stepdad, I'm staying out of it.  He's an odd kid, kinda crazy, super intelligent, hates authority, etc.  I'll leave it to him to sabotage himself, it always works out best when I do, and he always sabotages himself like a pro.

As a step-dad myself, perhaps he needs some guidance.  I provide my step-kids with the kind of guidance a big brother might provide, and it has worked well.  Sorry, but standing back and saying "I'm just the stepdad, I'm staying out of it" is a bit of a cop out.  JMHO.

DocNrock said:
Vol. Knob said:
Nah, as I'm just the stepdad, I'm staying out of it.  He's an odd kid, kinda crazy, super intelligent, hates authority, etc.  I'll leave it to him to sabotage himself, it always works out best when I do, and he always sabotages himself like a pro.

As a step-dad myself, perhaps he needs some guidance.  I provide my step-kids with the kind of guidance a big brother might provide, and it has worked well.  Sorry, but standing back and saying "I'm just the stepdad, I'm staying out of it" is a bit of a cop out.  JMHO.

I hear you.  I have a grand total of 4 stepkids, each different in their own way.  The oldest are in their 20s, from a previous marriage, and the stepdaughter & stepson I have now are 12 and 14.  I was all about being a "big brother" to the older two, plus I was the only one making sure they did their homework, practice, etc.  I still have a good relationship with them.  My stepdaughter is eager to please and pleasant.  

This stepson however...  he views me as an interloper who is eroding his family from within.  A completely separated from reality view, I came along long after his father left, but I'm an interloper nonetheless.  Any interaction with me is prone to outbursts of anger and all sorts of accusations.  I have to pick my battles.  Plus, he's a genius with all sorts of delusions of granduer (never ever tell a gifted child that they have a high IQ, it will turn them into little Napoleons).  Naturally, he assumes he knows far more than anyone else, especially me, so there you go.  I prefer to stand back and watch him sabotage himself.  My ex stepsons hated me when I was in charge, but now they actually talk to me, see WHY I made them do homework, and was a hardass when I was a hardass.  I hope this stepson eventually comes around.  

As stepson myself I might say: that is very hard to have a guy who isn't your dad in the position of... I've used to fight almost daily the husband of my mother from 14 untill 21/22 when I was living alone 1 ou 2 years long... Nowadays we're cool, but we don't get much into paternal talks (perhaps because he has a completely different point of view than mine, always)

Vol Knob, it is a tough situation, no doubt.  I was a step-son myself, so I see it from both sides. 

I too was a setpson, so I understand what goes through the stepsons mind. 

Too bad my stepdad was a lazy ass.  I've not seen him in 18 years.  He too bailed on my mother. 

Love my Stepmom, though.  She kicks ass.

I guess I'm pretty lucky to have both parents together still... Man, I take too much for granted. I need to be happier with my house, my room, everything...

Back