Happy with the Country I live in.

Volitions Advocate

How was everybody's Veterans Day?

Up here we call it Rememberance Day. But there isn't any difference in the way we celebrate it I don't think.

Anyway.  I live in southern Alberta, pretty close to the border with Montana and so we had some of the fine people from the armed forces in Sweetgrass come to the ceremonies.  Of course we all believe that we live in the best country on the planet for whatever reasons, and we're probably all correct.  Canada is the best place on Earth because I live here.  We might joke about debating this topic but really we're all just proud of where we are from (hopefully).  I wanted to post because I wanted to ask about the places you attended today.  I really enjoyed the service because of how respectful it was to all involved.

Obviously we don't mention the Vietnam War or Desert Storm / Iraq but we do celebrate those who have died in peacekeeping roles around the world, it's something we were known for up here. 

I'm rambling.... I just wanted to say that I was very proud to stand up with the colour guard displaying the Canadian flag, the U.S. flag, the Union Jack, the UN flag, even the old canadian flag from the 40s. And also to sing Oh Canada!, the Star Spangled Banner, and God Save the Queen all in one sitting.

I'm happy to Share this planet with you guys, and I hope your day was filled with fond memories of lost loved ones, Helping our new veterans from the middle east make some new friends and get more support, and talking to the old veterans to keep their stories and memories alive.

I didn't do anything specific today (besides birthday stuff, as 11/11 is mine). BUT last night the History Channel had a special on. WWII in HD all about the Eighth Air Force over Europe. I got to watch it with my grandfather who served as a gunner on B-24's during the war. I don't know how many more Veterans Days I'll have to spend with him, and he never really opens up about the war or his 32 missions. Hell, the most he said last night was "Flying in the nose turret over Berlin was the most flak I ever saw." I'm definitely lucky to be able to spend time with him considering how many people in his position didn't come home, and it's hard not to feel patriotic on a day like that.

My father was a B17 pilot, was shot down and did 9 months POW, got liberated and retired in 1976, as a Colonel. Even did a tour in Vietnam.
He is in his late 80s now, and goes down to the USAF museum and kicks the tires on an old B17 all the time. He loved that plane even though he flew a bunch of others, those memories of that war are etched into his memories. When he talks of his crew, you can see the emotional turmoil he is going through.
The 8th was a breed of men, most knew they would never see it through the war, the odds were against them.

I called up my father in law and said thank you.  He served in Vietnam.  I also flew the flag outside.

No matter if you believe the current situation is wrong or right, you have to appreciate the sacrifices the people in the armed services make for all of us.

I've never been in the military, and thats largely because so many others have paid the price and got the job done ahead of my time, allowing me to live whatever life I wish to live.

you think about it
WW1 ended at 11 AM of Nov 11, that is how the day got it's significance

JaySwear said:
I didn't do anything specific today (besides birthday stuff, as 11/11 is mine). BUT last night the History Channel had a special on. WWII in HD all about the Eighth Air Force over Europe. I got to watch it with my grandfather who served as a gunner on B-24's during the war. I don't know how many more Veterans Days I'll have to spend with him, and he never really opens up about the war or his 32 missions. Hell, the most he said last night was "Flying in the nose turret over Berlin was the most flak I ever saw." I'm definitely lucky to be able to spend time with him considering how many people in his position didn't come home, and it's hard not to feel patriotic on a day like that.

Happy B-day ya bastage!  :eek:ccasion14:

ORC

TBH, Anzac Day (25 April)  in Australia has a greater signifigance to most people, but I am pleased that so many stopped for a minute's silence at 11 AM to show their respect on 11 November and we had Remembrance Day ceremonies all over the country (Australia).

In my own job, buses were asked to shut down their engines if they were at a terminus at 11AM and the driver get out of the bus to observe the minute's silence. Those on the road though, at that time, could do little  - but were asked if they could run a little late and remain at the terminus if they were about to start a trip. :icon_thumright:

I live in the States, and in my part of the country, I am proud to say that veterans do get the respect they deserve. My great-grandpa was an ambulance driver for what would have been the pre-curser to what would be considered a MASH unit during World War I. My aunt still has his doughboy helmet and his gas mask kit at her house on the mantle. Several of my grandpa's brothers served in various branches of the military during World War II and Korea. One of them was a wheelman on a destroyer, and later came back to work many years as a wheelman on several freighters on the Great Lakes, including the Edmund Fitzgerald (the ship Gordon Lightfoot made famous in his song). He sailed on her during the sixties, and had been off of the vessel seven years when she went down in '75. My father-in-law was an RIO (backseat radio control and radar operator) on an F4 Phantom during Vietnam and was in Operation Linebacker on bombing runs over North Vietnam. Sadly, I never met him--he died of a heart attack six years before I met my wife.

I personally wanted to go to West Point, and had family who was friends with our congressman at the time who was more than willing to write me a nomination, but my mom was very against me joining the service, even if it meant a free education and a guaranteed job right out of school.

Sadly, I know in many areas of my country, our veterans, let alone our elders, aren't treated with the respect that they deserve. A fair percentage of them are homeless, and still suffer from the long-term affect of what they experienced, whether it be mental or physical.

I know I'm a day or two late for Veteran's day, but I figured this was appropriate for the day:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqFoqtpUFY8[/youtube]

We have a similar day here in Norway.
When I was in His Majesty The Kings Guard, we honoured the fallen soldiers in the battle of lundehøgda, which is the most important battle in norway to secure the royal family during the war.
This is also a day where we honour the veterans.

nett1_76982a.jpg

One of the veterans that survived the battle of lundehøgda.

nett3_76980a.jpg

This was one of the few parades we didn't use our parade uniform

I'm proud to be a part of HMKG, and that I got the oppurtunity to show how gratefull we are, even though we're rather young.
Old people in norway thinks that people on my age don't give a F about what it was like when they were at our age. But I think this is a great way to show them that most of us actually do care.

I'm just really happy that we can acknowledge the actions and efforts of others as well as our own veterans.  I'm not from U.S.A. but I'll stand proudly while the Star Spangled Banner is playing, or God Save the Queen.  I actually think there was a Norwegion Flag among the colour guard as well.  I think there are a lot of people from Norway living in this area that would've emigrated during and after the 40s.

It's the comeraderie that I really cherish.

Back