Buzz - Schaller Bridge

JohnL

I am building a Tele with dual humbuckers, rear route, LP controls. I have installed/wired pots, toggle switch, bridge, jack, and jack plate. Pups are installed but not wired. All connections and wiring check out with meter but I still have noise.

Wondering if I grounded the Schaller 475 bridge correctly. I soldered the bridge ground wire to copper tape attached to the bridge.

Copper tape is commonly used to ground single-coil guitars like Tele and Strat. So, I suppose the adhesive has no effect.

AirCap said:
Copper tape, huh? Does adhesive conduct electricity?
JohnL said:
Copper tape is commonly used to ground single-coil guitars like Tele and Strat. So, I suppose the adhesive has no effect.
I believe AirCap's inquiry is related to multiple pieces of foil tape being used to line the cavity. Without conductive adhesive, ground connections are required for each piece. Some tape has it, some don't.

As for noise, just your body being in close proximity to certain components will generate electrical hum. I would suggest getting everything wired, mounted, and buttoned up, before searching further for the source.

Good luck!

If the pickups are not wired yet and you are testing the rest of the wiring with it plugged in to hear a noise I would suggest completing the job and then testing. It is not needed to do continuity testing to plug into an amp if that is what is happening.

JohnL said:
For future reference, you can get inexpensive copper foil tape on ebay that is specifically identified for electronics and shielding purposes, meaning it has conductive adhesive.

Worst case scenario, your tape's adhesive is not conductive: still an easy fix.  Just go through and put a bit of solder on all visible seams, then make sure the bridge and the pickup cavities are grounded to the top layer of shielding in the control cavity.

Back