Bushings too big?

JazzX

I was installing the bushing for my tuners on my walnut warmoth neck and found that they were incredibly hard to get in, and that the only way I could get them in was by sanding a considerable amount before hammering them in. Also they don't extend down as far as I wouldve thought they would. If anyone could give any advice on how to get them in easier, or if they're the right size that would be great.

P.s I don't own/have access to a drill press sp useing that isnt an option.

I think the two most common recommendations are to use a reamer, and to use candle wax to lubricate the thing you want to insert (bushing, screw, you name it).

Oh yeah that reminds me I also lubricated the bushing with crayon wax :toothy11:( it's all I had) but it was still very hard to get in, especially since I didn't want to dent or crack the finish.

It would help a little bit to know what tuners you're using. But, generally speaking, you want them to be tight. Loose tuners are tone suckers.

You might also have an incompatibility between the tuners you have and the holes that have been drilled.

Finally, not having the right tools is no excuse, nor is it a reason to defeat proper installation.

ThurstonHowell.jpg

Nonsense! A Howell is never wrong! Break off a piece and make it fit!

I had a similar problem with my deluxe neck. Use a reamer and keep trying the bushings to see if it will snugly slide in with wax. I use some scrap wood under the head stock and use an Irwin clamp to push it in, rather than hammering it in.

Back