Burnishing Raw Necks

The wenge sure as heck likes this treatment. I’m up to 1200 and it’s looking good.
effHCG5.jpg

From this point forward, you'll want to spend increasing amounts of time with the progressively finer grits. The finer your abrasive, the slower it cuts, so the longer it takes to see/feel any result.

The finer your abrasive, the slower it cuts, so the longer it takes to see/feel any result.
Time to get out a movie and mindlessly sand with 2000 wet/dry for a few hours. 

Pretty much the plan for the day....every Lord of rings movie lined up to play, I only have 35 gallons of beer on hand but it should prove sufficient. ;) it’s a very rewarding process.

bassetman said:
Pretty much the plan for the day....every Lord of rings movie lined up to play, I only have 35 gallons of beer on hand but it should prove sufficient. ;) it’s a very rewarding process.
Sanding or going through all that beer? :laughing11:

Could go either way....I’ve been a brewer for a couple decades. I sold the pub to retire....now I just gig there. ;). It’s a hobby that goes well with guitars...although you should avoid chosing or shooting colors after a few too many. :turtle:

I usually don't exceed 2000 grit. You get to a point where diminishing returns fade to nothing and going farther is pointless. It is wood, after all. The surface can only get as smooth as it's innate density.

There were six movies to get through.....feels great, it’s slicker than the Fender neck with its finish. Everyone needs to try this at least once.

Once is never enough. Once you do it, you have to do all your necks that way.

What's really cool about it is it's not like a satin finish that eventually turns glossy/sticky, these necks pretty much stay the way they are. Plus, you don't need any special equipment or workspace.

Looks to me like that would not only work, but it's a good deal on the paper. Risk is very low, in any case.

1500. And kinda need to do it for best results. Jumping from 1200 to 2000 is a pretty big leap, and you could be sanding forever to have any effect.

You could also just see how it feels as is and stop at 1200. That's still going to be a dramatic improvement over the standard finish. Plus, it's not like a material finish that has to be done complete - you can pick up where you left off later if you're tired of screwing around with it right now.

1200 + greasy skin actually left it pretty nice feeling. Maybe I'll make a bowl of extra butter popcorn tomorrow.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTUDZj0hgRk[/youtube]

No, not at all. There's nothing being added or taken away. Although, there seems to be a slight improvement in the chatoyance of figured woods. In any event, it's not an improvement in appearance you get from the process, it's an improvement in feel.

Back