Black LP Build

No, the "NFG" stuff has its headstock cut off.  We use them as pencil holders on our desks.... and, mind you, there are not many that get scrapped.

I can see why Warmoth's fret installs are so good.  Pressed and glued in, one at a time. 

Wow, 5 Minutes!!  :rock-on:

Okay, here is the neck during the final phase of fretshop work.  After another round of Quality Control, it should be in my hands tomorrow afternoon.

3402805975_1ea457e835.jpg

Here is the neck waiting to have the ends of the frets ground off flush with the sides of
the fretboard.

3402806013_8f2a25478d.jpg

Here Jeff is using this belt sander to grind the ends of the fretwire flush.  It takes a very
steady hand to do this, as too much friction causes the frets to get very hot, which can
actually burn the fretboard.

3403616690_a79c7bed6c.jpg

Here he's shaping the ends of the nut, making it flush with the fretboard.

3402806093_47f69fc04e.jpg

Filing the edges, knocking them off at an angle.  After this step, he smooths
the edges of the fretboard with finer and finer sandpaper, until it is smooth
as glass.

Next photos should be of an assembled Les Paul!

Keep Jammin'!

J

Here are more photos, she's pretty much done.

3421487076_69c0068151.jpg

Installing the Schaller Mini Locking tuners.

3420679411_084eaa0323.jpg

Looks like we're ready for setup and some jammin'!

Here are the things that did not turn out perfect on this:

Front strap button is a bit crooked (it's hard to drill a straight hole on that curved surface).

Neck pickup mounting ring is not square to the fretboard edge.  I installed the pickups prior
to having the neck, using the pickup routs and stop tailpiece as points of reference.  Next time,
I'll wait until I have the neck on the guitar to fine-tune the alignment before drilling the holes.

Pickup mounting rings are not perfectly flush with the carved top.  I had to shape the
bottoms of the plastic rings, so it was kind of a pain to get them perfect.  It is strictly
cosmetic, so I don't really care about it.  I could have done a more precise job.

Sound-wise, I couldn't be happier.  This thing delivers classic rock tones in spades.  The neck pickup
(Alnico Pro II) nails Slash's tone (think the solo on "November Rain"), and the bridge pickup
(Pearly Gates) does everything from ZZ to Zep.  The overall tone is pretty bright and snappy due
to the Wenge neck with Ebony board.  There's not a smidgen of mud in there at all.  I plan on doing some
sustain tests with this guitar against a Gibson that has the same neck pickup just for kicks, to see the set-neck
vs. bolt-on really makes that much difference.  I'll post pix of the waveforms when I'm done with that test
sometime in the next few weeks.

looks like my Warmoth Gold Top's evil younger brother hehehe. I like it. :icon_thumright:

GoDrex said:
looks like my Warmoth Gold Top's evil younger brother hehehe. I like it. :icon_thumright:

*cough* you could say, the black sheep of the family, Drex! :laughing8:

Thanx for the photos during the build, great insight into the Warmoth crew's day at work. :icon_thumright:

What a piece of crapola....I think you should just get rid of it and all of its imperfections and start over.  Here, I'll take it and make sure that it is appropriately removed from your collection.

Oh and by the way....WHAT A SWEET F*CKING BUILD  :eek:ccasion14:

Thanks for the compliments, lads.  Yeah, I dig the clean, uncluttered look of chrome on black, no binding, just strictly business.  Don't get me wrong, I drool over those killer figured carved tops we have kicking around here, but I can't picture myself owning one.  I've always liked Gold Tops, too.  I've been Jones'in for a Gold Top Tele, cream binding, trans brown over mahogany back.

We have a sweet LP body on the Showcase right now, check it out:

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=lpcp198&Body=2&Path=Body

Picture this baby with black hardware, and a set of EMG's.  Considering that having the same body spec'd and built would cost $695, this one is a smokin' deal.  Frankly, I'm surprised that someone hasn't jumped on it already.

Juanito Burrito said:
We have a sweet LP body on the Showcase right now, check it out:

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=lpcp198&Body=2&Path=Body

Picture this baby with black hardware, and a set of EMG's.  Considering that having the same body spec'd and built would cost $695, this one is a smokin' deal.  Frankly, I'm surprised that someone hasn't jumped on it already.

Or maaaaaybe you could buy it and then sell me your black one

I keep looking through your pics to see if my neck is in one of those piles!  :eek:ccasion14:

that axe looks very sweet. one of the rare occasions where I dont mind having no inlays :) and from me, thats a huge compliment!

Thanks.  The only non-Warmoth part on there is the tip of the toggle switch.  It is a chrome metal one, made by Schaller.  $4 on Ebay.

Back