Black LP Build

Hey all you W' addicts, John from Warmoth Sales here.  I've been lurking here for 8 months now, so I figured it was high time to get on board and share the details of one of my builds with ya'.  I was lucky enough to snag a Chambered Carved Top Les Paul body just before it hit the Showcase (working for Mr. W. has its benefits!).  Being a dyed-in-the-wool Strat and Tele guy, I've always kept my distance from Lesters due to the fact that they typically weigh a ton, and that 24.75" scale length just doesn't float my boat.  But, seeing as I've been Jonesin' for double 'bucker axe with a fixed bridge for a while now, and that I can have it my way (25.5" scale AND lightweight, thank you very much), it was time to take the jump into LP land.  Here are the specs on the bod:  Chambered Mahogany with Carved Maple top, black gloss paint, weight of about 4 & 1/2 pounds.  This is about the same weight as a typical Alder Strat body.  Pickups are a Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge, and an Alnico Pro II in the neck.  Here are some pic's of the work in progress:

3376165411_03d3079b05.jpg

I made a wiring jig out of a piece of scrap pickguard material.  The holes are layed out exactly like the control cavity on the body.  Trust me, it is much easier wiring up the pots outside of the guitar as the LP control cavity is pretty cramped.  And yes, roughing up the backs of the pots makes for much easier soldering (a great tip from Gregg here at W').  Note the nifty schematic on the table courtesy of www.seymourduncan.com

3376982902_dc92510bcd.jpg

Wiring up the switch.  Again, much easier to do outside the body.  I ran all 4 wires through a piece of shrink tubing prior to snaking them through the worm hole to the control cavity.

3376166275_65c8ec4f4f.jpg

Here are the pots loaded inside the neatly-shielded control cavity.  Some people may think that shielding a humbucker-only guitar is overkill; however, having all that copper foil makes it simple to tack on ground wires.  The foam bag that the body is shipped in makes for some good protection while working on the guitar.  Even with all that foam, I still managed to put a couple of scratches in her!  Black guitars, like black cars, scratch very easily.

3376983264_042ce921ec.jpg

Here's the body with the pickups sitting in their routs, and the knobs installed.  Note the blue masking tape holding the pickups in place.  This stuff is invaluable during a build for holding parts in place prior to drilling screw holes, as well as keeping wires out of your way.

3376634183_45421a3d73.jpg

Here's the finished body, fully wired up.  I installed a Strat neck that I had laying around (us Warmoth guys tend to have a few spares around the house), put on the 2 outside E strings, using them as a guide for lining up the polepieces prior to drilling the holes for the mounting rings.    What you see are our Chrome Metal Humbucker Mounting Rings sitting on top of the usual plastic mounting rings.  I had to shape the bottoms of the plastic rings with a rotary tool to get them to sit flush on the carved top.  Note to future LP builders:  our Curved Humbucker Mounting Rings are not compatible with the Metal Humbucker Mounting Rings that you see on top.  That is why if you want to achieve this tricked-out look on a carved top body, you must get the flat plastic rings and radius the bottoms.

Now the wait for the neck, which should be done in a couple of weeks.  No, not even us W' cats get our necks made any faster than the rest of you!  Neck specs are as follows:  Warmoth Pro LP, 25.5" scale, 12" straight radius, Wenge back with Jet Black Ebony fretboard, no face dots, SS6105 frets, and Ebony peghead veneer.  I saw our ace neck guru radiusing the fretboard last week, so soon it will be in the fret shop for fret install and a Graphite nut.  I have a Wenge neck with Ebony board on my Strat, and let me tell ya', it's a magic recipe (a couple of the other guys at the big W' have the same combo, can you guess who?).  I'll add to this post when the neck is in my hands, along with plenty of Glamor Shots, of course.

Keep jammin!

J

Awesome LP!! That's a sweet pickup combo. I'm currently waitng for my neck, then I can finish my VIP! Gpt any pics of your strats and teles?

Welcome to the Boards!  :icon_thumright:

Hey, thats looking sweet!

I'm definitely stealing the wiring jig idea for my next build. 

metalman - here's a picture of the Warmoth Strat:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=7451.0

The neck for the LP will be basically the same as the one on the Strat, but with an LP headstock.

Here are some pix of the neck being made by our excellent neck crew:

3381061602_77aa6b4fbe.jpg

Here is a picture of the headstock.  Note the specs written on it; NFD means "no face dots" and 12" is the radius.

3380241155_a0b386c902.jpg

Here's a shot of the fretboard.  It was having the side dots installed during this phase (you can see them sticking out of the side of the fretboard, waiting to be trimmed and sanded).  Again, see the specs written on the fretboard denoting the "no face dots" and fretboard radius.  It also says "need tension".  Wenge is very stiff wood, as is Ebony, so that means "don't loosen the truss rod all the way or else!".

3380241247_e08743f9a5.jpg

Here's another shot of the neck sitting on a big stack of necks, all being worked on by the neck crew.  These are the guys who install any inlay, side dots, cut fret slots, radius fretboards, and do all final sanding.  When they are finished with it, the neck goes through a round of QC inspection, then gets dip sealed.  After the dip seal has dried, it's off the skilled hands of our fret crew.  I'll try to get some pix of the fretting to share with everyone.  Do you like "behind the scenes" photos?

Keep jammin,

J

Great Project!

Also, did you know that as a Warmoth employee on this forum, it is mandatory for you to post pictures of at least 1 factory tours per week! it's tradition  :icon_biggrin:
take lots 'in process' pictures :)

The behind the scenes shots are awesome.  Although I have to ask how your head is doing since the last ones.  Last thing we saw were the necks swinging fast and furious :laughing7:

Oh, not to worry, no one was seriously injured during the choreographed bludgeoning.  Although I must say, getting whacked in the skull with a guitar neck beats a Lousville Slugger by a long shot!

Yea... that neck also says NON-RETURNABLE!!!!

then again why would you.... looks awesome!

Here's a picture of the neck today, after being dip-sealed.  It is hanging to dry for 24 hours before going to the fret shop.  It's the dark horse amongst a sea of Maple.... an interesting observation by looking at this batch of necks is just how few exotics our customers buy.  The majority of people stick with what they know, Maple with a Maple board or Maple with a Rosewood board.  I invite everyone to be adventurous and try an exotic, unfinished neck - they really make for a unique playing experience!

3384101544_4ca14cc15f.jpg

I'll try and convince the fret crew to allow me into their domain for a few minutes tomorrow to document some fretting action.  If all goes well, I may be playing a new guitar this weekend!

Keep jammin,

J

Definitely my good man.  Raw exotic necks are the best!

I'd absolutely love to see some Warmoth fret work!  It's something I've been doing a lot of lately so my interest level is high.  :icon_biggrin:

Juanito Burrito said:
Here's a picture of the neck today, after being dip-sealed.  It is hanging to dry for 24 hours before going to the fret shop.  It's the dark horse amongst a sea of Maple.... an interesting observation by looking at this batch of necks is just how few exotics our customers buy.  The majority of people stick with what they know, Maple with a Maple board or Maple with a Rosewood board.  I invite everyone to be adventurous and try an exotic, unfinished neck - they really make for a unique playing experience!

3384101544_4ca14cc15f.jpg

I'll try and convince the fret crew to allow me into their domain for a few minutes tomorrow to document some fretting action.  If all goes well, I may be playing a new guitar this weekend!

Keep jammin,

J
+1 for sure on the exotics. I have to admit birdseye maple was  by far my most favored, until I ventured into the raw exotics...I have a wenge/ziricote that is just over the top....I love it... :headbang1:

Okay, here are some pix of the fretting action as promised.  Our head fret Honcho, Jeff, was kind enough to allow me to snap a few photos while he did his magic today.  Jeff is one talented guy; he can fret a neck in less than 5 minutes.  Seems he has some certificate at home with his name on it in fancy script, and the title "Luthier" or something like that.  The fact is that he's very good and what he does, a perfectionist, and one heck of a nice guy.  Here are the pix:

3399627667_05d03b2ee3.jpg

Here's my neck, hanging in the fret shop waiting in line for its turn.

3399627693_47ef8f114a.jpg

Here he's adjusting the truss rod, and checking the fretboard to make sure
it's flat and level before he presses in the frets.

3399627727_c2ab5b84f7.jpg

He's carefully filling the fret slots with a Super Glue mixture. This accomplishes several things;
it lubricates the slot for easier insertion of the fret wire, fills any gaps, and helps secure the fretwire in place.

3399627751_8657be9270.jpg

Frets are pressed in using the Arbor Press.  This neck is getting Stainless Steel 6105 (my favorite).

3399627825_4fe881189e.jpg

Here he's using a set of pneumatic nippers to trim the ends of the fretwire.

3400436002_b474f06298.jpg

Now the ends of the fret slots are being filled with more of the Super Glue mixture.

3400435898_bd4a3dfca8.jpg

Here's the fretted neck, which will hang to dry for 24 hours before the fret ends are
knocked off and properly angled.  He did this in less than 5 minutes.  Impressive, huh?

3400436036_bcbdd954ee.jpg

The exact nut width is being measured so that the Graphite nut can be cut and slotted with precision.
You can see the Notebook computer in the background that controls the nut cutting machine.  This thing
is amazing; it can shape and slot a nut in about 5 minutes!

3399627957_95418944f8.jpg

This is a picture of the Graphite nut blank in the mini-CNC machine that will shape it and cut the string slots.

More photos tomorrow as the ends of the fretwire are filed and the nut is installed. 

Stay tuned.... in the meantime, practice your modes like a good axe-slinger should!

for a second I thought that the 'NFD' was 'NFG'  :eek:

oh - nice guitar  :icon_biggrin:

Back