Binding an L5S

Thanks! Should be some more progress pics later.

Gonna have to commit to a neck pretty soon.

It's most likely going to be a Warmoth headstock. Which woods to use are what I keep changing my mind on. Since the body top is going to be a solid color, I can get a little fancy on the fretboard. So... light or dark? I love black Ebony, but the body's already gonna be kinda dark. I'm not finding much in the "Unique Choice" section that turns me on as far as other woods are concerned. My latest settling point is on a Canary/Canary part. There's some unique pieces of that I like, and they're almost golden, which will go along with the cream binding and gold hardware, as well as matching up nicely with the dark green top.

Picture this with cream binding, no inlays, gold frets and a Warmoth headstock against a dark green body...

SN13495A.jpg

What could possibly be wrong with that?

Nonsense. No matter what I decide, it's getting gold frets.

Wicked-Witch-of-the-West-300x220.jpg

And gold tuners, too! Aaaahahahaha!

Cagey said:
It's most likely going to be a Warmoth headstock. Which woods to use are what I keep changing my mind on. Since the body top is going to be a solid color, I can get a little fancy on the fretboard. So... light or dark? I love black Ebony, but the body's already gonna be kinda dark. I'm not finding much in the "Unique Choice" section that turns me on as far as other woods are concerned. My latest settling point is on a Canary/Canary part. There's some unique pieces of that I like, and they're almost golden, which will go along with the cream binding and gold hardware, as well as matching up nicely with the dark green top.

Picture this with cream binding, no inlays, gold frets and a Warmoth headstock against a dark green body...

SN13495A.jpg

I like Canary on Canary

Cagey said:

SN13495A.jpg

If you're leaning towards the Warmoth, I think the Warmoth 2 might fit the overall scale of the body a bit better.  Essentially the same peghead, just never went on a diet.

I tend to agree. I don't know why, but I thought that was an extra-wide neck, so I never considered it.

That use to be the Variax, bit it got renamed back when everything else did.  Looks like it gives a slightly straighter (less fanned) nut-to-peg alignment than the Warmoth.

And even if it ends up less like the showcase photo, and more like what The Drizzle got, I think Pipe might be the way to go.  Maybe with Afra or Imbuia for the neck itself?

Straight strings are a Good Thing, especially considering there's gonna be a Bigsby on here. I don't need anything tempting it to lose tune.

As for neck woods, they're not offering Afra or Imbuia necks at the moment, and while Drizzle's Ipe neck is absolutely gorgeous, I can't see it against a dark green.

:redflag:  Found some things for you Cagey

That you might just need ......

:guitarplayer2:
MarshallClass5BritishRacingGreen.jpg

:icon_thumright:
IMG_2758.jpg

file_zps934fe68d.jpg

:icon_biggrin: 

Wow, Kevin--It's looking FANTASTIC! Really fine work on the binding...oh, and I think them shoes are a definite KEEPER!

Thanks! I'm afraid I can't wear the shoes, though, what with my being male and all. Men should never wear green. It is written.

Although, exceptions can be made for golf.

Cagey said:
Thanks! I'm afraid I can't wear the shoes, though, what with my being male and all. Men should never wear green. It is written.

Although, exceptions can be made for golf.
Or you're a Leprechaun.. :icon_biggrin:

Bagman67 said:
Or a servicemember.  Army Green.  As we approach Memorial Day, that comes to mind.
Very fitting, and as I work for the U.S. Air Force, I can totally agree with that.. :icon_thumright:

-USAF Desert Storm vet second's the motion... even if I'd never be caught dead in those shoes  :laughing11:

Back