Binding an L5S

To be fair, if it were repairable it would had to have been done before the lacquer went on, so I shouldn't use that as an excuse. But, it's ABS plastic and acetone. ABS dissolves in the presence of acetone, and is actually what you use to weld the parts together. So, trying to fill it with such a paste would be an exercise similar to Bre'r Rabbit's attempts to free himself from the tar baby: the more you touch it, the worse it gets.

As it is, this is the extent of the damage...

OutputJackGlitchSm.JPG

If I have to, I'll knock $3,500 off the price... <grin>

Actually looks intentional.  You could always say it's a notch specifically for right angled guitar cords.

:)

I'll try that line out on the next person who sees/mentions it, and see if it flies <grin>

I'm pretty sure I've seen that feature as a super-custom upcharge from some of the boutique builders. I believe it's known as a 'Wagner Notch'.

I have a similar feature on the original Discastercaster. Mine was caused by the bearing coming off the router bit as I was doing the roundover. Passed within a few thou of my right earlobe at some velocity before passing through the neighbour's cat.

Never use cheap router bits!

Hehe! Yeah, that's what it is! A "Wagner Notch" <grin>

Speaking of flying router bits, I live in constant fear of that. Damn things spin at what, 36,000 RPM? Some ridiculously high speed, anyway. One of those bitches comes flying off, it's gonna travel like a high-calibre bullet with sharpened spinning carbide edges. I do my best to always buy 1/2" shank bits so they're nice and strong with a lot of gripping surface to the shaft.

Sorry to hear about your neighbor's cat <grin>

BTW - Kevin:  Congratulations on your guitar of the month win.  It's a hell of a guitar that anyone would be proud to own!

Mayfly said:
BTW - Kevin:  Congratulations on your guitar of the month win.  It's a hell of a guitar that anyone would be proud to own!

Thanks! Now if I could just play the bloody thing...

reluctant-builder said:
I like that Cagey gave you a shout-out, saying "the best benders come from Canada."

Hehe! I wish I'd have thought of that double-entendre at the time. But, seriously, I found this unit on eBay, and it's not only the best of any I've seen, it's the least expensive. Plus, it works like a charm. If you ever felt tempted to do your own fretwork, it's a must-have tool.

Cagey said:
Worked for Marilyn, so it oughta work for me  :icon_biggrin:
Don't be upset or anything but I think Marilyn kinda might have had some other stuff going on, that you perhaps... well, you know. Never mind.

Never saw this build thread. Really enjoyed going through it. Outstanding work brotha! Got mad skilzz  :icon_thumright:

Back