Binding an L5S

I was looking at the B7 to start with, too. But, the B5 is more appropriate. I'd still have bridge problems, though. I'd need something with saddle height adjustment, as I'm going to have a compound radius neck so I need to get flatter (~18" radius) than most bridges without adjustment (~12"-14") go. Plus, I'd want roller saddles on any bridge mated with a Bigsby, which precludes re-cutting saddles to get the radius I want.

It may be possible to save it with an angled shim. Electric 12's are fun, especially distorted in an already chimey amp. They can be quite huge and ferocious.

I don't like to use shims, so I'll route the pocket if I have to. I've done it before; it wasn't the end of the world. You just need an unusually short template following mortise bit. I found one from Whiteside, so all I need is to set up a platform larger than the pocket end of the body for the routerbeast to ride on, and the follower will follow the inside contour of the pocket rather than a template. Comes out perfect, albeit lower. But, I hadn't intended to have any pickguard under the neck overhang anyway, so that's ok.

Wow Cagey, I will just echo everyone else when I say you have some balls of steel my friend!

This is looking great, and I can't wait to see that binding installed! As for me, I would say that the setup the body has is perfect!

But what would I know, I didn't buy it or anything  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

"Perfect" is often relative and subjective. What works for one may not for another. Luckily for us, companies like Warmoth, USACG, Mighty Mite, et al have made guitars and basses sorta like Lego blocks - we can mix/match parts and configurations and apply our own tender ministrations until we're happy rather than take what the OEM's marketing weenies say is right.

Just wondered how this project is going Cagey ? ... the binding I mean.  :icon_thumright:

Any updated pic's / progress.

It's sitting in the queue just rotting... <grin>

Other projects have had priority, plus once the binding is on we're into finish work which I can't do at this time of year, so it's easy to ignore.

I've got a Tele to show off soon, though. That Black Cherry body I wasn't impressed with is going to get real after all.

There's also a Strat project I just started that I'll get a thread going on shortly.

Looking forward to how this comes out. 
I might try my hand at cutting a mahogany semihollow in that kind of shape, maybe a little larger, with a set neck.  Sort of a jazz fusion Abercrombie/Scofield kinda thing.  But I'd have to put a whammy on it.  :icon_biggrin:

Speaking of vibratos, Pelagard suggested a Bigsby for this one earlier in the thread and I'd discounted the idea out of hand, but the more I think about it the more I think I'm going to do that. It'd just be way too sexy, which is just the right amount. If it doesn't stay in tune, then I'll just bitch about it <grin>

Cool! And then you can spend your summer vacation putting a new set of strings on the thing!!
The one Bigsby-equipped guitar I ever owned reduced me to a sniveling puddle of useless protoplasm every time I changed strings...which was maybe twice. Then I gleefully sold the guitar!

Are you sure you're not confusing a Bigsby with a Floyd Rose? This is the unit I'm talking about...

1166625_800.jpg

Of course, I'm not going to use a Tele bridge. I'm going to use a Wilkinson roller bridge...

61Z7Isf3qUL._SX355_.jpg

I found this during my late night forum browsing at work.  My initial suggestion was the longer B7, but this kinda sold me on the B5.

Bigsby's are not that hard to restring, when done properly.

Either take one string at a time. Or for a full resting - look at Youtube for instructions.

Pelagaard said:
I found this during my late night forum browsing at work.  My initial suggestion was the longer B7, but this kinda sold me on the B5.

That's a nice piece of work. I'm more encouraged now to follow that design.

Great Ape said:
Yup, I do indeed mean the Bigsby...just wait and see...

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing where the difficulty is. It's basically a wrap-around bridge string threading operation, but you have to thread under a roller to get to the actual bridge. Am I missing something?

I used to have a very similar unit on an Epiphone ES335 copy about 100 years ago, looked very much like this...

1967-Gibson-ES335-TDC-Cherry-Red-Big.jpg

...but it wasn't a Gibson. I was just a grasshopper back then, so I didn't change strings often. But, I don't remember it being any kind of difficult.

SustainerPlayer said:
Bigsby's are not that hard to restring, when done properly.

Either take one string at a time. Or for a full resting - look at Youtube for instructions.

How much instruction does one need?

I'm getting the idea that I've forgotten something. I remember the thing didn't stay in tune worth a tinker's damn, but that's a design issue that a roller bridge, slippery nut and locking tuners should mitigate to a large degree. Nothing you can do about using a single compression spring to return to neutral, so you just make sure that's the only variable in the chain.

There are different Bigsbys that look the same but aren't... for instance, the B5 vs. B50 vs. B500 has to do with what they're made out of and what kind of pivots are used. The original B5 is sand cast vs. die cast and uses ball bearing pivots vs. bushings. It's also dramatically more expensive. But, if you use that one vs. the others, it's a much more predictable part, even though it's still not a good design.

It's just too sexy. I'm gonna suffer and bitch, I'm sure, but who cares? It's not gonna be my main guitar... quite likely will never leave the house. So, what? Like granny used to say: fun's where you find it.

Back