Baritone Telecaster Project.

Eric Banjitar said:
First of all, I love watching this build.  What a unique guitar you will have.

My question: Are you going to sew the edges together with the hides wet, so they can stretch and tighten? Kinda like a drum head? Or...? 

Thanks, just courious.

I will likely tie the hides together dry.  I took some scrap and wet it to see how it would dry, and really the only thing that happened was that it dried with some slight discoloration.  I consulted with Jerry Chapman (www.jerrychapmanministries.wordpresscom) who built my hand drum.  Wetting the hide and stretching is part of the process of curing it.  These hides for this guitar were tanned 16-18 years ago.  When they're smoked, they become waterproof for the most part and any permananent stretching is usually gone as far as it will go at this point.  Additionally, I would run the risk of the adhesive on the face and back of the body giving way to the water, which would cause slippage, and perhaps through the alignment around all of the components, ie; bridge, pickup, neck pocket, control cavity.

I'm gonna lace it up dry with moderate tension and allow time and playing to cause any distressing that may occur.  Again, unlike the source material for this project, the Fender Custom Shop Calender model, this guitar will indeed be played, and played often rather than sitting in a museum or gallery.

I'm hoping to glue up the back & front today.  I'll roll out any air on the surface to get maximum contact with the adhesive and body, let it dry a day or so to really set, & then begin the lace up.

And so the "lace up" begins...

DSC02581.jpg

Well, did some more work, and while it may appear that it's pretty well complete, still got some touch up do-dads to take care of.

The neck heel area is still incomplete, but I'm gonna let the project sit for a few days & let the leather do any potential stretching that may occur, in case I need to go back through and re-pull the laces to increase a little more tension if any slack occurs.

DSC02588.jpg

DSC02591.jpg

DSC02590.jpg

DSC02587.jpg

DSC02586.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

DSC02584.jpg

DSC02583.jpg

DSC02592.jpg

Although not wired up yet, but the test fit with all hardware looks like it came out ok.

Vertical Without flash:
DSC02593.jpg

Vertical With flash:
DSC02594.jpg

Horizontal without flash:
DSC02595.jpg

Horizontal with flash.
DSC02596.jpg

I'm glad I elected to dismiss the idea of doing a faux beaded outline of a pickguard.  For one, I think in time it would just get demolished with playing, without any real way of repairing it.  The beaded rosette with the fetish hanging from it does plenty to catch the eye, and the concept of a buckskin finish is already fairly uncommon. 

Now, off to finish the neck.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I'm glad I elected to dismiss the idea of doing a faux beaded outline of a pickguard.  For one, I think in time it would just get demolished with playing, without any real way of repairing it.  The beaded rosette with the fetish hanging from it does plenty to catch the eye, and the concept of a buckskin finish is already fairly uncommon. 

I agree; that would not have done anything for it. As it is, it's gorgeous!

Bagman67 said:
Yep, you oughta be able to get saddle soap in any grocery store.

There's plenty of tack/saddlery retailers in this area, lot's of ranches & stuff.

In as much as Seattle and the greater Puget Sound area are urbanized, there's a lot of undeveloped countryside in this area. 
You can be in downtown Seattle on the piers, and then 30-45 minutes later be hiking in the forest.  This really is a lovely area.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Bagman67 said:
Yep, you oughta be able to get saddle soap in any grocery store.

There's plenty of tack/saddlery retailers in this area, lot's of ranches & stuff.

In as much as Seattle and the greater Puget Sound area are urbanized, there's a lot of undeveloped countryside in this area. 
You can be in downtown Seattle on the piers, and then 30-45 minutes later be hiking in the forest.  This really is a lovely area.
So true, I lived in the suburbs of Seattle from '79 to '82, absolutely gorgeous state. I've still got relatives up there somewhere. :icon_thumright:

Back