Baritone Telecaster Project.

This actually has a nice & tight low end.

I dig the pickguard idea.  More to think about as I move along.
Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming if you like.

I think this outline will look nice, keeps the curves uniform, no sharp angles.
Thoughts?

PickguardDesignConcept004.jpg

Why not expand and exaggerate the pickguard and make the whole guitar a yin yang?

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I think this outline will look nice, keeps the curves uniform, no sharp angles.
Thoughts?

PickguardDesignConcept004.jpg

This reminds me too much of a variax, but it is a nice shape.

Ok, been a while since last update.  Some $$ came and I was able to purchase some adhesive, borrow a cutting matte & rotary cutter, and I've done the rough cutting of the buckskin to the perimeter shape, allowing 1/2" for fold/over on the edge for reinforcement so I'll have 2 holes on the front and 2 holes on the back at each lace event.  Sort of like a pair of shoes with the tongue underneath. 

I did some research and found an adhesive that was not too agressive, so I can cut, check fit, cut again, etc...  It's an "Easy Tack" adhesive in a rattle can from Michael's.

I've cut around the bridge, neck pickup route, and control cavity route.  The ferrels will mount as seen, so will the neck mounting plate.

I'll have quite a bit of hand work left such as sewing and such near the routes, doing "whip-stitches" around those to reinforce the edges, and I'll be doing an inseam at the neck heel where the leather goes around the corner. 

More in the next week or so, waiting on some ordered parts to come in, ala leather hole punch pliers and a bunch of leather lace "thongs" made of smoked elkskin, which will be used to tie the front piece to the back.

DSC02550.jpg

DSC02546.jpg

DSC02545.jpg

DSC02542.jpg

DSC02543.jpg

DSC02549.jpg

DSC02544.jpg

DSC02548.jpg

DSC02547.jpg

SustainerPlayer said:
I have been looking forward to this phase of your build. Now it gets really interesting.  :icon_thumright:

Yes, and tedious.  Patience is paramount at this point.  I am so eager to continue working on it, but I will wait until the leather hole punch pliers and leather thongs arrive so it will be done correctly.  In the mean time, I can do the whip stitches around the bridge, neck pickup cavity, and control cavity.

swarfrat said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
... leather thongs

TMI  man TMI.

They're basically, "leather string".
http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=5030-248-153&Store_Code=CCTP&search=thong&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

Patrick from Davis said:
I am a little confused where you were able to source that pickup cover from.  Regardless, the guitar look very impressive.  I like it.  Although it took me what seemed like forever to finish reading it, I would suggest Scatter Lee's Gator tele build on TDPRI if you have not already gone through it.
Patrick

The Bridge Pickup was custom hand wound locally here in the Tacoma/Seattle area (www.carlsenguitar.com) .  The Cover started out as a simple PAF 6 hole cover.  Since I originally wanted more of a Filtertron look, but somethine a 'lil different, I had a friend with a machine shop drill out the 6 holes for the other coil since both coils have screws, then had him "rail" down from the low E side to the high E side to make one continuous railed slot.  He knocked the ball out of the park on it and got it right with the first pass.  Thank God for digital calipers and CNC's.

The Bridge Pickup is wound to a total output of 7.2k in humbucking mode, I forget what it is in single, but right around half of that.  It sounds like a cross between a vintage PAF and a Filtertron.  In Single Coil mode (which I find myself using the most) sounds remarkable single coil like, not just like a split humbucker.  It's got loads of detail and with the current config of a push/pot to split the bridge and the Tele 4-way switch, it's options are very flexible and totally useful.  I'll have to post a clip soon of recording I did with it where all of the tracks are on the same rig setup, and the only difference between tracks are simply the pickup switch options.  There's a small overdub that uses an analog tremolo for a split second, otherwise, all the rig settings are the same and the tremolo is "off".

Did a lil more work today as I'm waiting for materials to arrive.

This is progress from stitching the edges of the neck pickup cavity.  2/5 hours later, it's done.
Still have to do the hole where the bridge goes, and the hole where the control plate covers the control cavity.

01: Clear Nylon Thread, strong, and transparent once used.
DSC02560.jpg

02: First couple of stiches.  Ain't supposed to be pretty & looking like it was done by a machine in China.
DSC02555.jpg

03: Using a curved needle.  Also using Needle Nose Pliers for better handling as I force the needle through the buckskin.
DSC02556.jpg

04: Using a curved needle, part 2.
DSC02552.jpg

05: Using a curved needle, part 3.
DSC02553.jpg

06: A little bit more.
DSC02557.jpg

07: Yet, even more.
DSC02558.jpg

08: Some progress so far.
DSC02554.jpg

09: Just finishing up.
DSC02561.jpg

10: The final stitch.
DSC02562.jpg

Interesting. What is that for, to keep the edges from getting frayed/fuzzy? It doesn't look like it's being sewed to anything.

Cagey said:
Interesting. What is that for, to keep the edges from getting frayed/fuzzy? It doesn't look like it's being sewed to anything.

You are correct, just to strengthen the edges when installing the components and continued handling, preventing frayed/fuzzy edges.  It's a simple whip stitch, just going round and round in loops over the edges. 

The Easy Tack will hold the buckskin down on the face and back of the body. 

That's pretty awesome Tony, not will it only be a cool looking tele, but a family heirloom... :icon_thumright:

And you're doing with buck skin what Dean did with Sasquatch for ZZ... :icon_biggrin:
zz800.jpg

This really is a special project for me.

For one, I really do love playing this guitar, it feels and sounds great!
Adding the buckskin is helping me in my Native Craftwork Skills, & will help me to be patient as I continue to make my Pow-Wow regallia, using sinew & adding my own beadwork to it.

Just stitching the neck pickup cavity edges took 2 1/2 hours.

Back