April Submissions - Guitar of the Month Contest =5 so far!

GOM

Greetings,

I'm pleased to announce the April's, 2011 Guitar of the Month contest.  April's contest will be for "Owner Finished" instruments.

Please read the GOM rules, which have been refined, with some slight changes, and are posted in a sticky in this forum area.

Submissions must be sent to uwfgom@gmail.com - two images no greater than 1024x768, along with your description and details of the instrument.   In turn, those images will posted to this message, which is April's submission thread.  Submissions will be accepted from the 1st through the 7th of April, so get your cameras clicking!   All discussion for the submissions can take place below, along with other pictures hosted by the poster.  

Good luck, and may the best guitar win!

user name Jusatele
guitar name Barn Door Tele
Body, Warmoth, Swamp Ash,
Boards carved in with wood burning tool
neck  Warmoth Goncalo Alves
1 piece Modern Vintage
Bone nut
1 11/16
Warmoth compound radius
Standard thin,
6105, Raw
Fender American Standard Hardtail bridge
Carvin Tuners
Lollar P 90s
standard Tele 3 way switching
500k pots
Rotosound HB Blues strings
Jusatele.jpg

jusatele2.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marko
Black Korina Thinline
Quarter Sawn Rosewood Top
Goncalo Alves Neck
Brazillian Rosewood Fingerboard
Custom Made P90s pickups by Jon Moore
Marko.jpg

Marko2.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
baljnm
Body Specs:
1 piece Honduran Mahogany Warmoth tele body
thinline top route control cavity
LP toggle rear route in upper horn
forearm contour
finished by me back in 1995 (16 years ago! I was 22!!)

Neck Specs:
BRAND NEW!!
Goncalo Alves/Macassar Ebony CBS Strat neck
stainless 6105 frets
1 11/16" nut width
standard thin contour
MOP face dots
compound radius
GraphTech White TUSQ installed by Warmoth
Sperzel locking tuners
about 15 coats of clear on the pegface, Tung Oil on the back of the neck

Electronics:
bridge pickup: Seymour Duncan Custom SH-5 with coil cut and phase switch
neck pickup: Gibson 490R
dual concentric volume/tone pots
gold electrosocket
switchcraft LP toggle switch
Gotoh humbucking tele bridge
Dunlop strap locks
baljnm.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dmraco
white korina strat with zebra wood top
Original floyd rose
Gotoh 510 mini tuners
Duncan P-Rails
Maple neck with Rosewood and SS frets
no grain fill was used...used a satin poly so the body looks unfinished
Only issue was tinting the stain so the tones of the Korina, zebra, and maple matched.
DSC00143.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lafromla1
Rosewood Top/ Wenge Back with Tung Oil finish
Custom Roadhouse P-90's
Rosewood pickup covers
Quartersawn Wenge Neck with Ebony Fretboard (Clapton V) - Tung Oil finish
SS frets
telewcovers2.jpg

telewcovers1.jpg

Torment Leaves Scars said:
line6man said:
GOM said:
Builder/Assembler:  Neal Moser of Moser Custom Shop

But the finish was done by the owner, right?

The finish was applied by Warmoth.

Sorry...as stated by the rules, this month is for OWNER FINISHED GUITARS.  Thank you for our submission.  Please enter in a month that contains Warmoth/Pro finished guitars.  The thread had been adjusted to reflect this mistake.

GOM said:
line6man said:
GOM said:
Builder/Assembler:  Neal Moser of Moser Custom Shop

But the finish was done by the owner, right?

The finish was applied by Warmoth.

Sorry...as stated by the rules, this month is for OWNER FINISHED GUITARS.  Thank you for our submission.  Please enter in a month that contains Warmoth/Pro finished guitars.   The thread had been adjusted to reflect this mistake.

Oh, no.  :sad:  I thought it was for all Warmoth guitars or basses...  :sad1:

Doesn't have to be all Warmoth:

5.  ...must be an instrument that is built upon a guitar or bass body, a guitar or bass neck, or both body and neck, manufactured by Warmoth Guitar Products...

6.  “Owner finished’, within the scope of the GOM contest, shall be defined as an instrument, guitar or bass, that has had its paint, dye, stain, clear coats or other finish applied, in total, by the owner of the instrument.

7.  “Warmoth or Professionally finished”, within the scope of the GOM contest, shall be defined as an instrument, guitar or bass, that has been finished, or had its finish completed, by someone other than the owner of the instrument.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:

5.   ...must be an instrument that is built upon a guitar or bass body, a guitar or bass neck, or both body and neck, manufactured by Warmoth Guitar Products...

6.   “Owner finished’, within the scope of the GOM contest, shall be defined as an instrument, guitar or bass, that has had its paint, dye, stain, clear coats or other finish applied, in total, by the owner of the instrument.

7.   “Warmoth or Professionally finished”, within the scope of the GOM contest, shall be defined as an instrument, guitar or bass, that has been finished, or had its finish completed, by someone other than the owner of the instrument.

Disappointing.  Personally, I feel that all Warmoth guitars or "partial" Warmoth guitars should be included, regardless who did the finish, because, well, they're all Warmoth guitars.  Point being, is that I could have just as easily been dishonest and said, "Yes, I did the finish myself," and could have still been eligible for the contest. 

Whatever the case, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal; this isn't my forum, and the rules are the rules, so I'm not going to make a stink over them.  :eek:ccasion14:

5.   ...must be an instrument that is built upon a guitar or bass body, a guitar or bass neck, or both body and neck, manufactured by Warmoth Guitar Products...

6.   “Owner finished’, within the scope of the GOM contest, shall be defined as an instrument, guitar or bass, that has had its paint, dye, stain, clear coats or other finish applied, in total, by the owner of the instrument.

7.   “Warmoth or Professionally finished”, within the scope of the GOM contest, shall be defined as an instrument, guitar or bass, that has been finished, or had its finish completed, by someone other than the owner of the instrument.

Disappointing.  Personally, I feel that all Warmoth guitars or "partial" Warmoth guitars should be included, regardless who did the finish, because, well, they're all Warmoth guitars.  Point being, is that I could have just as easily been dishonest and said, "Yes, I did the finish myself," and could have still been eligible for the contest.  

Whatever the case, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal; this isn't my forum, and the rules are the rules, so I'm not going to make a stink over them.   :eek:ccasion14:
next month it will be Warmoth/pro finished again, it goes back and forth

Jusatele said:

5.   ...must be an instrument that is built upon a guitar or bass body, a guitar or bass neck, or both body and neck, manufactured by Warmoth Guitar Products...

6.   “Owner finished’, within the scope of the GOM contest, shall be defined as an instrument, guitar or bass, that has had its paint, dye, stain, clear coats or other finish applied, in total, by the owner of the instrument.

7.   “Warmoth or Professionally finished”, within the scope of the GOM contest, shall be defined as an instrument, guitar or bass, that has been finished, or had its finish completed, by someone other than the owner of the instrument.

Disappointing.  Personally, I feel that all Warmoth guitars or "partial" Warmoth guitars should be included, regardless who did the finish, because, well, they're all Warmoth guitars.  Point being, is that I could have just as easily been dishonest and said, "Yes, I did the finish myself," and could have still been eligible for the contest.  

Whatever the case, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal; this isn't my forum, and the rules are the rules, so I'm not going to make a stink over them.   :eek:ccasion14:
next month it will be Warmoth/pro finished again, it goes back and forth

Cool.  Thanks for the info.  :icon_smile:

I was kinda lookin' forward to entering for this month, especially after scanning the files and seeing such a thing when I signed up a few days ago.  Guess I'll have to wait!  :doh:

=CB= said:
Another month off and running!!!!

Where's your submission?

I'll have to catch the next month, and month after that... getting ready as we speak for an extended 'away' mission on Harley!

Disappointing.  Personally, I feel that all Warmoth guitars or "partial" Warmoth guitars should be included

May I boldly suggest that you read the "Official Rules" in this forum section, and you'll see that the forum contest alternates, and has room for some "non standard" stuff thrown in at times too.

Don't get disappointed.  Get READY for the next time your axe will fit the criteria!   Shine it, polish it, arrange it "just so" and get the lighting perfect.  Take a lot of shots, send the best.  I hate to say this, but its a statement of obvious truth, that sometimes we'll have a real killer axe entered, but the pictures leave something to be desired (cell phone anyone?).  There were times that I felt that the presentation superiority overrode the superiority of the instrument.   They say possession is 9/10ths of the law, well... presentation is 9/10ths of a contest like this.  

Over the last few months, competition as become quite fierce!   Part of that is the picture quality becoming quite amazing.   Good jobs!  All of you, bravo!

BlueFirebird said:
That sounds like a good time CB.  I would like to do that someday if I had a Harley.  

Sounds like fun!  Stay safe, and keep the rubber side down!  :eek:ccasion14:

Disappointing.  Personally, I feel that all Warmoth guitars or "partial" Warmoth guitars should be included

May I boldly suggest that you read the "Official Rules" in this forum section, and you'll see that the forum contest alternates, and has room for some "non standard" stuff thrown in at times too.

Don't get disappointed.  Get READY for the next time your axe will fit the criteria!   Shine it, polish it, arrange it "just so" and get the lighting perfect.  Take a lot of shots, send the best.  I hate to say this, but its a statement of obvious truth, that sometimes we'll have a real killer axe entered, but the pictures leave something to be desired (cell phone anyone?).  There were times that I felt that the presentation superiority overrode the superiority of the instrument.   They say possession is 9/10ths of the law, well... presentation is 9/10ths of a contest like this.  

Over the last few months, competition as become quite fierce!   Part of that is the picture quality becoming quite amazing.   Good jobs!  All of you, bravo!

Yeah, someone mentioned that, then reviewed the rules again, and caught it. ;)

Agreed with the lighting and background on winning photos.  I just can't seem to get good lighting, regardless what I do, though, I'll make it work!  I think the "Candy Blue" is very photo-sensitive, and winds up looking either too dark or too bright.  It actually has a sort of purple hue to it.

CB's Tips on Lighting

There are two basic types of light - broad and diffuse, and point and "specular".

Broad diffuse lighting is like the shadowless lighting on a cloudy day.
Point lighting is like the sun, very distinct shadows since the light comes from a relatively small source (a point).  Specular means that its able to give shiny "starlike" reflections.

You also have lighting that is direction, yet diffused, or point.  For instance, a window, open to the sky, provides direction lighting, but the light itself can be very diffuse - IF - the subject of the image is placed close to the window.  If placed far from the window, then the window - in relationship to the subject - would be smaller, and thus closer to a point once again. 

There is also fill lighting - imagine our window light, if the room is large, or dark, there is little "fill" for the areas facing away from the window.  If the room is small and light colored, there is more "fill" to the shadows.

A window or glass doorway open to northern sky, with the guitar set sort of sideways to the light source, in a light room (or with a large white surface reflecting light back at the guitar from opposite the window) will do amazing things.  So will outdoor lighting under a tree. 

Try turning the instrument to get different lighting effects, that helps too!

=CB= said:
CB's Tips on Lighting

There are two basic types of light - broad and diffuse, and point and "specular".

Broad diffuse lighting is like the shadowless lighting on a cloudy day.
Point lighting is like the sun, very distinct shadows since the light comes from a relatively small source (a point).  Specular means that its able to give shiny "starlike" reflections.

You also have lighting that is direction, yet diffused, or point.  For instance, a window, open to the sky, provides direction lighting, but the light itself can be very diffuse - IF - the subject of the image is placed close to the window.  If placed far from the window, then the window - in relationship to the subject - would be smaller, and thus closer to a point once again. 

There is also fill lighting - imagine our window light, if the room is large, or dark, there is little "fill" for the areas facing away from the window.  If the room is small and light colored, there is more "fill" to the shadows.

A window or glass doorway open to northern sky, with the guitar set sort of sideways to the light source, in a light room (or with a large white surface reflecting light back at the guitar from opposite the window) will do amazing things.  So will outdoor lighting under a tree. 

Try turning the instrument to get different lighting effects, that helps too!

Thanks for the tips!  I'll give this a try!

Just one entry this month?
JustasWell
I been voting that tele GOY since before it had strings.

Hbom said:
Just one entry this month?
JustasWell
I been voting that tele GOY since before it had strings.

My guitar didn't meet requirements for this month's contest.  :sad:

Rest assured, I'll be ready for next month!  :party07:

Back