ANNOUNCEMENT: Gibson styled products

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Maybe they didn't like their product being copied by a Fender parts company. 

It's not like Gibson ever tried making a Stratocaster.  :doh:  Oh wait!
:laughing11:

SlartiBartfast said:
Awww, man! I was about to go and buy a Les Paul body from the showcase, but somebody beat me to it! Bummer... I was really in love with that particular chunk of wood... Let this be a warning to anyone thinking about pulling the trigger. I waited just a bit too long!  :sad1:

A koa top lp perhaps? Lpcp340?

DangerousR6 said:
It's typical big business trying to hold small business down. Gibby got caught with their hand in the neighbors cookie jar. And now the want to to get sue happy to pull in some money to try and help cover their losses. So naturally they're going to go after other manufacturers the feel are tapping into their buying market. And I'd bet Warmoth was first on the list. And you know I'm right, just look at how long Warmoth's been making those styles, and now all of the sudden the want to pitch a bitch fit about it. Gibby's is also charging rock star prices for gear, so that leaves us no choice but to go to places like Warmoth..

Though we'll probably never know the true details, I can't see any indication that they have actually sued Warmoth over the issue - presumably they have made some kind of legal threat, but it may be they won't actually gain any money from it unless people who wanted to build Warmoth guitars decide to buy Gibsons instead. Which strikes me as unlikely. :dontknow:

Bingo!  I know I haven't bought any Fender stuff since my first W, but Fender gets a kickback.  Irony of ironies, people that make Fender parts keep people from buying Gibsons.  Maybe the way the Gibson people looked at it, if they couldn't get those sales, no one else would.  It's fun to speculate.

Jeremiah said:
DangerousR6 said:
It's typical big business trying to hold small business down. Gibby got caught with their hand in the neighbors cookie jar. And now the want to to get sue happy to pull in some money to try and help cover their losses. So naturally they're going to go after other manufacturers the feel are tapping into their buying market. And I'd bet Warmoth was first on the list. And you know I'm right, just look at how long Warmoth's been making those styles, and now all of the sudden the want to pitch a bitch fit about it. Gibby's is also charging rock star prices for gear, so that leaves us no choice but to go to places like Warmoth..

Though we'll probably never know the true details, I can't see any indication that they have actually sued Warmoth over the issue - presumably they have made some kind of legal threat, but it may be they won't actually gain any money from it unless people who wanted to build Warmoth guitars decide to buy Gibsons instead. Which strikes me as unlikely. :dontknow:
I'd imagine this is true, they most likely haven't sued yet. But by making them stop, they're hoping to get more people to by Gibby's. But Warmoth isn't the only one that makes copies, so it's unlikely that Gibby will gain any new biz, wspecially from Warmoth customers..

To be fair, when this was announced, I did go and start looking at how much it would be to buy a Gibson. Answer - for one guitar I want, too much, and for the other, not applicable, they don't do one.

But if some percentage of people decide to look, and some percentage of those do find one they're willing to buy, then, however tiny that number, Gibson have made sales that Warmoth would have stopped them making by copying their products. Which is exactly what those laws exist for.

SlartiBartfast said:
Awww, man! I was about to go and buy a Les Paul body from the showcase, but somebody beat me to it! Bummer... I was really in love with that particular chunk of wood... Let this be a warning to anyone thinking about pulling the trigger. I waited just a bit too long!  :sad1:

Wasn't this one was it?
lpc150a.jpg

That one's on it's way to me.  :guitarplayer2: (and then I'll have plenty of questions about finishing BK)

Scuffcakes said:
SlartiBartfast said:

Wasn't this one was it?
lpc150a.jpg

That one's on it's way to me.  :guitarplayer2: (and then I'll have plenty of questions about finishing BK)

Nope! The one I had my eye on was a carved quilted maple top. I've been reconsidering my available options now.  :)

Scuffcakes said:
SlartiBartfast said:
I've been reconsidering my available options now.  :)

Don't wait too long.  There are a finite number of 'em left.

Yeah, I know. I've got it narrowed down to my top choice. I've just been waffling and reluctant to pull the trigger. There was a really nice Screamin' Deal that got snatched up over the weekend, and that helped narrow it down for me.  :icon_thumright:

anorakDan said:
I'm pulling the trigger on my Showcase V1 body! Got the ball rolling with Spike now!  :party07:

Good for you! It is as he says - this is the last of 'em. I keep getting tempted by Les Paul bodies, but I know it would be foolish for me. There were a couple LPS bodies I would have liked to have, but I hemmed and hawed around too long and missed my chance.

Oh, well. It's not like there's any shortage of LPs or LPSs out there - they've been making them for a lotta years. If nothing else, the Japs, Koreans and Chinese are going to keep making them, so if the itch gets irresistible, I have recourse.

Scuffcakes said:
Wasn't this one was it?
lpc150a.jpg
I had my eyes on that one, and was gunna get a Black to Clear Burst back and front.
Has a great looking back too.

There's a trans red BK with Black binding, I've been umming and arrring over for ages.
One of the lighter weighted one's.
But just  :dontknow:  don't think I'll take that either.

BTW .... that's the most LP's I've seen in the showcase for the past 2 years or so.
Plenty to choose from, especially if you want a Tonar finish  :blob7:

Well, new LP bodies are still trickling in. Check out this beauty: http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=Lpcp347&Body=2&Path=Body

That's a tempting hunk of wood (both the quilt top AND the gorgeous mahogany back), but I decided to pull the trigger on a cheaper body. Warmoth has been adding LP bodies to the Screamin' Deals page fairly often, and I snatched up a lovely flame maple on BK body from there this morning.  :headbang:

LP! by Joe Vajgrt, on Flickr

Well, in the end, it all came down to the price. This was added to the Screamin' Deals yesterday, and I pulled the trigger even though it wasn't my top choice. Still some lovely lumber, in my opinion! Let the waiting begin...  :toothy12:

Yep, I saw that flame maple/BK job in the Screamers yesterday and coveted it briefly - before realizing I still have a work-in-progress LP that I need to finish. Plus I don't have 462 bucks worth of mad money lying around.  Congrats on the score!

Bagman

I wonder if Dean pays Gibson or if they've been approached?  While they don't copy existing Gibson models, they mash them up.  Tell me the Dean ML wouldn't be around without a V and Exploder.

That S G/V thing with LP headstock, was that a Gibson design first or did someone else do that?

And Hamer?

Tell me the Dean ML wouldn't be around without a V and Exploder.
That's not actionable though, a model being influenced by two others. What if they made one that was a cross between a Les Paul and a Tele? Who would sue them then, Fender or Gibson?

Jumble Jumble said:
What if they made one that was a cross between a Les Paul and a Tele? Who would sue them then, Fender or Gibson?
This is America - they can both sue.

But seriously, given the ridiculous filtering/changing of names, I wonder if that wasn't a big part of the problem.

Back