ANNOUNCEMENT: Gibson styled products

Jumble Jumble said:
What if they made one that was a cross between a Les Paul and a Tele? Who would sue them then, Fender or Gibson?

Ernie Ball, that's who:
axis04.jpg

I knew the answer had to be either EBMM or Rickenbacher, so it was a tossup.

drewfx said:
Jumble Jumble said:
What if they made one that was a cross between a Les Paul and a Tele? Who would sue them then, Fender or Gibson?
This is America - they can both sue.
Nah, they can't. Otherwise yeah they'd have both sued Ernie Ball as mentioned above. I think you have to copy something pretty big. Drawing inspiration from other products isn't illegal or infringing, right?

I don't know... Samsung owes Apple many millions of dollars now because they built their phones in the shape of a rectangle with rounded corners. It doesn't get much more petty than that.

Yeah, there were a couple/few other items, but they were arguably as petty. Of course, I don't believe software exhibits patentability.

I think each individual item would be seen as petty. But taking into account the sheer number of things that were copied, it was quite a convincing case.

I mean, even down to the point where, when you want to look at photos on your phone, you're pressing an icon labelled with a sunflower. I mean, come on guys! There are other things that could represent "photos"! They shot themselves in the foot with that one.

I'm late to the party, but bummed about this. I would've loved to have picked up an Explorer body built to my specs and with a variety of wood, paint, pickup, and headstock choices. Gibson doesn't make the product I would buy. That's why most of us are here -- we want variations on classic themes that otherwise are unavailable to the general public.

I would've ordered earlier had I known.

Seven Explorer type bodies still hanging around at the time of this post: http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Shape=5&Path=Miscellaneous,XBird

AutoBat said:
Seven Explorer type bodies still hanging around at the time of this post: http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Shape=5&Path=Miscellaneous,XBird
Except that those are all for the skinny string lovers here. There's only one for those of us who prefer our scale lengths long, and our string count slightly below average, and it's chambered which sounds like a recipe for greater neck dive than is already inherent in a design without an upper horn.

Something Mockingbird-ish would be cool.  Another (semi-)hollow bass option would be absolutely amazing.

Pelagaard said:
Something Mockingbird-ish would be cool.  Another (semi-)hollow bass option would be absolutely amazing.
Forget Mockingbird-ish, let's re-negotiate the real thing like W used to have.  Maybe BC Rich is in a better place for that agreement now. 
Yeah, I know....it's something I want, so forget it.... :laughing3:

I'd like to see something half-way between an X-Bird and an F-Bird. Not as pointy as the X, not as round as the F. Maybe with tummy and forearm contours?

I'm really sad I'm not going to get to build my Warmoth SG or my Warmoth L5S now.  Gibson can take their lawyers and shove it. 

I understand the desire to build a proper SG, among others, especially after seeing Updown's Yella Terra. I'm lucky enough to have a Warmoth L5S in process right now. But, don't despair. You never know what will show up on eBay or in the "For sale or trade" folder here.

hannaugh said:
I really wanted a black burst/dye quilt top SG.  Would look so sweet...

That's exactly what I would have gotten too, if it weren't too late  :(

Back