Bill Lawrence teams with Lace Music

MUYFUE

From Harmony-Central

September 04, 2009
In a stunning joint announcement that was nonetheless nearly a decade-and-a-half in the making, pickup design and manufacturing legend Bill Lawrence has teamed up with Jeff and Don Lace of Lace Music Products to build all future Lawrence-designed pickups at the Lace factory here in "Surf City, USA." Effective immediately, Lawrence's current Keystone® and Wilde® products, as well as all subsequent Bill Lawrence designs, will be built and shipped from the Lace facility under the direct supervision of Bill and Becky Lawrence and the Lace brothers, who anticipate significant improvements in technical innovation, quality control, and delivery time.

Bill Lawrence stated that, "It's been some fourteen years since we first discussed working together with Jeff and Don — we have always had so much in common. While most of our industry has been focused on merely recreating the past, we've both both been working on new, original ideas to advance the art and science of the pickup. Over the years, we've developed a close friendship and mutual respect based on our common principles. But, until now, the time for a joint venture never seemed quite right."

"Given my current health issues," Lawrence continued, "Becky and I maintaining our own production facility was no longer feasible, and a partnership with our old friends has become the logical way for me to continue my design work and bring my latest ideas to fruition. I simply can't imagine better manufacturing and marketing partners than the Lace family and their team — both companies have established their own unique places in the market, each with very different design and marketing approaches that I'm sure we can maintain side-by-side into the future. It's a classic win-win situation for us, our distribution channels, and the pickup buying public."

Jeff Lace, who has succeeded his late father Don Lace Sr. as Lace's lead designer, said, "This is a remarkable opportunity for our companies — not only will we continue making the best pickups on the market today, but we'll also be expanding our product portfolio with more original designs that are unlike anything else available."

Both Lawrence and Lace hold numerous technology patents in the pickup arena, with Lawrence's design work dating back some 60 years including historic stints with giants like Gibson, Framus, and a virtual who's who of the guitar industry, and Jeff Lace following in the footsteps of his father's unique "Fender-Lace Sensor®" design dating from the early 1980s. More recently, Jeff has created Lace's Holy Grail® and Alumitone® pickup technologies, both featuring zero noise and full-range bandwidth. Lawrence, known for decades as the industry's most dynamic and knowledgable pickup designer, is responsible for the SCN (Samarium Cobalt Noiseless) line of pickups currently offered by Fender both in their prestigious American Deluxe guitars and basses, and as popular aftermarket upgrades.

"Bill has established a great legacy of design innovation that we will honor and continue just as we've carried on our father's wishes and aspirations," Jeff Lace declared, "We've been looking forward to working with Bill and Becky for a very long time — and together we have so many exciting ideas that we can't wait to bring to the market!" Don Lace enthusiastically pointed out good omens for the new venture by noting, "This year marks Lace's® 30th anniversary — and what a way to celebrate our success, with the introduction of our new Helix® bass and guitar plus this monumental new pickup partnership happening simultaneously. This is going to be a truly exciting year for us and the industry!"

The sales and distribution approach for Lawrence products is currently being finalized, with a detailed announcement expected shortly. No changes in the established distribution channel for Lace® products are planned.

More information on Lawrence is available via http:/www.wildepickups.com and http:/www.billlawrence.com. For Lace®, visit http:/www.lacemusic.com.

I bet BIll's prices go way up, now that he's teamed with someone who runs pages of ads in the big glossy mags. Lawrence supposed has a whole bunch of really nifty manufacturing equipment accumulated over the years. Hmmm... :toothy12:

Well, hmmm...better this, than they just close up shop and stop making anything. They must be getting on in years. But I don't expect to see brilliant strat pup sets for $80 from Lace, unfortunately.

I'm seriously thinking of placing a couple of orders on his old website - they're still for sale there. Could be a collector's item one day, and if not they are great pups.

Bill's health has been declining in recent years - which is why I stocked up on his Q-filter, which is likely to not be made any longer. 

Holy crap!  I gotta get me a KTL pickup before Lace screws it all up.

Well I have been wondering when this time will come. Bill's no spring chicken and he and his wife have been working very hard over recent years, and Bill doesn't stop either with consultancy work too adding to the load.

I do believe he had some major pieces of manufacturing machinery jammed in his large -ish garage/workshop when they were in Pennsylvania, don't know if he sold the gear when they moved to California.

I'm not a great fan of the Lace interpretation of tone, whereas Bill's is probably one of the more cleaner tones you could hope for.

IF Bill and Bec could step back and maybe just do QC on their manufacturing and ensure that tone of their's is till in their products and the pikcups aren't falling to bits, then the association with Lace might be a good one. Lace, jnr. might also have the opportunity to learn more about what Bill does to achieve his tone, so it maybe a mentoring process too.

I agree with =CB= that some of Bill's ideas won't be in the new lineup once Lace takes over so maybe now's the time to buy that Bill Lawrence product you've been meaning to buy for years. The Q Filter, though, =CB=, can they be made up by folks with a bit of knowledge about resistors and capacitors? :dontknow:

Q-filter....  :icon_biggrin:

No they cannot be made with resistors and capacitors.  The Q-filer is an inductive load who's resistance and impedance have also been matched for our use.  It can make a HB sound like a single coil.  You can wire it as a notch filter.  You can use it in Varitone.  You can make a sweep filter out of it if you use two.

They are also completely humbucking.

The coil shape, loading, wire gauge, core and core material were worked out by Bill.  Its an evolution of the inductor he designed for the L6s - which is clearly seen as two back to back inductors to cancel hum.  He took that concept, and refined it so it would be more versatile.  I imagine he probably wound about 40 or 50 until he hit on the right recipe, because its as dependent on how tightly its wound as much as it is on other factors.  And... he also continued to refine it - because the latest ones are running about 1.8Hy while the older Q's were about 1Hy or a bit less.  I suspect that this allows better use with a varitone type circuit, and also for use with a greater number of pickups out there on the market, which are tending to run hotter, according to current musical tastes.  Strictly conjecture, but you would need a higher inductance to achieve the same effect with hotter pickups.

good thinking of me, buying the L500L, XL and R, just a couple of weeks ago. just right before he started to team up with lace.not really a bad thing, for the products that is, but it is bad for my wallet, I'm afraid. Can't imagine the pickups still being sold for this cheap.

I'm just going to say that there is a bit of hubris on one side of that deal that could strain the relationship a little.  Especially when paired with someone who is older and used to doing everything their own way.  I'm not saying it will, but it is a possibility based on what I have witnessed and what I have heard from some other people.

=CB= said:
Bill's health has been declining in recent years - which is why I stocked up on his Q-filter, which is likely to not be made any longer. 

I was looking for the Q-filter on Bill's website, but could not find them.  Are they available any where else? 
I would like to give them a try...
:rock-on:

Black Dog said:
=CB= said:

I was looking for the Q-filter on Bill's website, but could not find them.  Are they available any where else? 

He sold 'em on the old site, not sure where they are on the new one.

Bill Lawrence really needs to reclaim the trademark on his own name... he's too difficult to find with the pretender bouncing around.

dbw said:
Black Dog said:
=CB= said:

He sold 'em on the old site, not sure where they are on the new one.

Bill Lawrence really needs to reclaim the trademark on his own name... he's too difficult to find with the pretender bouncing around.

Yea, it's very confusing!  Sounds like this problem may have been taken care of with this Lace merger.
I guess time will tell...
      :dontknow:

dbw said:

He cannot.  That's pretty much water under the bridge, although... from the looks of things, he's gotten some help from the courts, because his old business partner how has mega disclaimers on their website.  What happened, is he got screwed out of the company which bore his name.  The company continued because it was set up in a legal fashion with that name - a corporate name - and the courts have held that the name is valid.  This sort of thing is not totally unheard of... it happens.

So we have BL the man, and BL the corporate name.  The latter doesn't seem to have much of a product line, and has gotten a REALLY BAD reputation from those who have tried to use, sell or distribute their stuff.

=CB= said:
So we have BL the man, and BL the corporate name.  The latter doesn't seem to have much of a product line, and has gotten a REALLY BAD reputation from those who have tried to use, sell or distribute their stuff.

So, it is Bill Lawrence, the man, that has merged with Lace; yes?
Or is it Bill Lawrence, the corporate name?
Enquiring minds need to know...

Bill Lawrence the evil corporate name is Bill Lawrence USA.

Bill Lawrence, the old smart guy who we love to love, is the one merging with Lace.

Reading some more.... it looks like the company that used the Bill Lawrence designs had the use of the name (Electrosound?), went bust, and the name got sold off to one of the founders of the company that went bust.

In the music industry, the unwritten code of ethic is to wish them well..... (then call him a deserving nasty name once behind closed doors).  BLUSA has about zero credibility, and caters to the bubblegum crowd.

Stewart McDonald sells the fake Bill Lawrence, as do a few of the other parts distributors.... Real Bill has certainly hurt his profitability by not selling to stores, distributors, Ebay etc, but then that's how he kept his prices down and quality up. He really doesn't care about more money - because of some patents on manufacturing processes, he makes a few cents off of just about every humbucking-equipped guitar legitimately sold in America, or at least he did for a long period. He kind of reminds me of Leo Fender, a guy who just likes to sit in his lab and tinker and wishes the business aspect of things would just take care of itself.

Stew-Mac got, for lack of a better word, the "shaft" with those pickups, and from all accounts they're sorry they ever stocked them.  And now they're stuck with pickups that are of very questionable quality, and not moving very well at all.  They sell them to the bubble gum crowd.  I'm not even sure if they list them any more - but for a while... they really tried "moving" them out, just to get beyond the whole mess.

(a few minutes later)

Looks like the BLUSA pickups are off the Stew-Mac website.

Back