ANNOUNCEMENT: Gibson styled products

wow, looks like Rondo doubled their prices over the past couple of years...
at one point I was considering one of their LP's and their most expensive agile was not even $400...
I also remember that when they first came out, Gibson made them change the shape of the "horn"

Slash's guitar broke at the neck joint. And of course I've heard stories. Hell I've even repaired a friends. My Gibsons are treated well. I know I need to be more aware when I've got them out. They dont break because of thin wood. They break because the headstock angle is cut across the grain.

Marko said:
Gibson made them change the shape of the "horn"
Dose that mean it's a Short Horn  :icon_jokercolor:

Just wondering about that heel on that Agile  :icon_scratch:
Did they do that before Gibo did there Axcess model ?
Which has a very similar heel.

May-be they can attack HJ  :laughing7: 

Epiphone recently gets credit for doing things right that Gibson does wrong, specifically fret work and finish.  However, due to the similar construction, I've petsonally seen one Epiphone do a Gibson impression by breaking at the headstock. 

It's easy to dogpile Gibson on this forum because it's the popular opinion, but the last two I've pulled off the wall at GC, I can confirm the finish sucks.  A Nighthawk and an LP bass, both finished in Gold Top Gold.  It's like they ran out of grain fill.

Cagey said:
al3200flatblackbkhw3.jpg

This is sexy. They've got a lefty, too, albeit a purple one.

Arlosguitar said:
Les Paul himself hated Gibson guitars. I stuck up for Gibson almost my whole life. But there comes a time when it's just a name and you realize they arn't worth the money. For as openminded most musicians generally are they are as closeminded as it gets when it comes to name brands. "It's got to be the best because Slash only plays LP's" Slash can also afford to replace or fix his LP's on a daily basis.
Slash never pays for an LP. Slash says, I want a new LP, Slash's tech calls Gibson with specs, Gibson gives Slash an LP.

Jumble Jumble said:
Slash never pays for an LP. Slash says, I want a new LP, Slash's tech calls Gibson with specs, Gibson gives Slash an LP.

This.

The joy of being an endorser. You get so big that, even though you've got the money for it, you don't have to pay. Funny how that works.

Flip side is, nothing is free. Wanna be a Gibson endorser? Better not have any pictures taken of you or be seen playing anything else. Although, I'm sure the contracts vary.

Yeah but it's a Gibson copy and it says Gibson on the headstock so to the untrained eye...

Oh and he has BC Rich's in the touring stock. To be honest though he's an exception. Gibson need Slash way more than he needs them. The thing is, they've done so many Slash sig guitars that he has 10 of every variation of Les Paul he needs already. If they dropped him it'd do them way more harm.

If they dropped him, I'd bet nothing would change.  He already has an enormous LP collection, and he'd keep playing the things he's always played before he was an endorsee.  Les Pauls. 

And FWIW, many intermediate guitar players and up know his LP he's known for isn't a Gibson, as does Gibson.  Then again, everyone that knows that is likely not to buy one just because he plays one. 

Well yeah, I think if you're interested enough to know it's a Derrig, then you'll probably also know that he copied it as closely to a Gibson as he possibly could. So, if you're after a Slash AFD guitar, you could do a lot worse than to get a Gibson. And of course, now, Gibson do a copy of that guitar anyway, their copy of a guitar that was copied from them in the first place.

The Derrig is only a recording guitar now; all the live Pauls are Gibsons with the SD APH-2s in them. They're all wrecked after a couple of tours though. Not headstocks busting off or anything, just metal corrosion and finish coming off all over the place, from sweat, belt buckles and bracelets. Bleurgh.

reluctant-builder said:
Cagey said:

This is sexy. They've got a lefty, too, albeit a purple one.

Agile????

I understand we want to keep the Warmoth faith, but those looking for an accurate LP kit should give these guys a shot.  Mayfly and I can both speak to the quality of their kits.
https://buy.precisionguitarkits.com/

DMRACO said:
Agile????

Is this akin to "Honda????" or any other foreign-made thing perceived to be of lesser quality due to its "foreign-ness" and inexpensiveness?

Or do you have a legitimate gripe about these guitars ... if so, I'm interested to hear what would make them worth avoiding.

Thanks!

DMRACO said:
Agile????

I understand we want to keep the Warmoth faith, but those looking for an accurate LP kit should give these guys a shot.  Mayfly and I can both speak to the quality of their kits.

I'm not looking for an accurate LP copy, or even a kit. I just like the looks of an LP and would like to have one. The Agile product addresses some of the detractive issues of the LP design, is an extremely high-quality instrument and is very reasonably priced.

reluctant-builder said:
...I'm interested to hear what would make [Agiles] worth avoiding.

Absolutely nothing. I'd put one of their higher-end offerings (the 3000 series and up) against any Gibson any day and have no qualms about betting they'd win any objective comparison. I've known others who've had the 3000 and 3100 series instruments, and even owned a 3000 myself for a while so I know. They make some damn fine instruments. While I had my 3000, other Gibson owners who saw/played it were disappointed to find that they couldn't fault the thing. When you consider they're 1/10th the price, it's pretty embarrassing to have paid the Gibson premium. If you taped off the name on the headstock of a Gibson LP Custom and an Agile 3100 and handed them to any dyed-in-the-wool Gibson fanboy, they'd pick the Agile as the higher-quality part. They're just fantastic pieces of work.

But, it's still the Les Paul design, which isn't the most comfortable thing in the world to play. You really gotta want one to tolerate the thing. The one I pictured several posts back doesn't try to copy the design completely, so it may be the way to go if you want that body style.

DMRACO said:

Incidentally, thanks for the link. It appears they make some nice stuff for reasonable money. I've always wanted an LPS, but I missed out on the last two in the showcase by hemming and hawing around. I've sent an email off to Phil to find out what frets he uses and whether he'll do something different like install some decent SS parts, or even if I could get the neck cut but unfretted so I could install some proper frets myself. We'll see what he says.

His "Customizer" link gives SS frets as an option for the '59 LP, so I reckon he'd do the same for an LPS.

So I see. But, $120 adder? What kind of stainless steel is he using? Is each fret individually kissed and hand-blessed by the pope before installation by nubile wood nymphs?

Back