A Jazzmaster inspired by the ULTRA Series

Ah, the maple is attractive on there. Bummer about the sound. Maybe another light colored wood could work like canary or even goncolo alves.

I agree. Fortunately, he's got a birdseye Maple neck coming for it. It just hasn't shown up yet. Was ordered back in early February, so I'm guessing it should show up pretty soon.

Thanks guys, I agree, the maple looks really good. Definitely digging the aesthetic. I think the darker Vintage Tint and the Birdseye on the "actual" neck will be awesome.  I don't think the problem here is that it is a maple neck, I have other maple necks and nothing I was hearing was "characteristic". I suspect more that this neck and body just aren't a good match. Which happens.  :dontknow:

Cagey: I have an e-mail in to Warmoth to get an idea on the status of the neck. It was actually ordered back on January 9th, so I think week 10 expired on Thursday. The world has gone bananas so hold-ups are understandable, I'll let you know what they have to say.

I compared the heel of the maple neck with that of the rosewood neck when I was trading them out, the maple neck had a noticeably more drastic contour on the shoulders, which explains the odd gaps in the pocket. They are both factory Fender necks, so.... weird?

I put the rosewood neck back on and strung it up with ANOTHER set of the Thomatik Jazz Bebops and.... it still sounded bad! Took off the Jazz Bebops (that's 2 sets of $25 strings in 2 days, for anyone who is keeping count...) and installed a set of the Power Bright roundwounds I use on most of my other guitars and she is a wild beast once again. Sounds spectacular. So, plain ol' roundwounds it is. And I have re-learnt a lesson I already knew about changing multiple variables simultaneously.....

Heard from Warmoth and the neck should be ready to ship to the Neck Wizard very shortly...

A bit of an update here, although nothing TOO terribly exciting.

While troubleshooting the performance of the upper tone pot in this guitar, a thing occurred to me: the pots function backwards up top relative to how they function normally. Which is to say fully anticlockwise is "10" while fully clockwise is "zero". Standard Jazzmaster spec calls for a linear taper there, and now I know why. I used an audio taper because I was spec'ing my own pots and it is what I normally use and like, but I failed to consider the reversed action. As such, I got very little effect from rolling it back until I was all the way down at the end. So, back to Mouser yet again. The good news is I'm getting pretty good at finding obscure pots in their catalog... I've ordered a couple to try out, should be the same physical specs as the others:

250K Linear:
Mouser P/N 858-P160KNPC15B250K

500K Reverse Audio (Whodda thunked I'd find that?)
Mouser P/N 858-P160KNP0C15C500K

So, inspired by my recently received shipping notification for the neck (en route to the Fret Wizard himself), I finally sat my lazy butt down and re-hashed the wiring for phase reversal at the S1 Switch and Series/Parallel and circuit switching at the 4PDT Slider. It's a mess, but... well, no "but", it's just a mess. A straight up electrical schematic would be a far more effective way to represent it, but an electrical engineer I am not. I'm an operator. We just bang on things until they work. Should be a fun project to get it wired up. "Fun"....  :help:

Jazzmaster%20-%20Series%20Parallel%20MOD.pdf

4PDT%20S-P.pdf

DangerousR6 said:
Sweet guitar, all maple neck looks best against the blue... :icon_thumright:

Thanks! I agree, I can't waaaaaaait to get my hands on that black bound Birdseye/Birdseye............

-VB- said:
DangerousR6 said:
Sweet guitar, all maple neck looks best against the blue... :icon_thumright:

Thanks! I agree, I can't waaaaaaait to get my hands on that black bound Birdseye/Birdseye............
That'll look killer... :headbang:

Rgand said:
Nice.  :icon_thumright:

Did you drill out the roller to fit?

Nope, no drilling necessary. It is actually the OEM knob for Japanese Jags I think, which have different mini-pots from the USA models. Fender P/N 0264227000. I got them here:

https://www.eyguitarmusic.com/2pcsBlack-Roller-knobfit-Fender-Japan-Jazzmaster-Jaguarpot-hole-diameter-6mm_p_1244.html

About 3 hours got me this far today:

Photo%20May%2030%2C%204%2018%2011%20PM%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

It is kind of a bear. Gotta think pretty far ahead about wire routing and what order to connect things, otherwise it's easy to two-block yourself with so much going on. The eyelets on the S1 switch aren't big enough to accept two wires, so for the "jumpers" for phase reversal I just ran leads from each eyelet and will then join them together and solder the pickup hot and negative leads to the jumpers. I don't want to go any further with the upper circuit because the middle two lugs of the 4PDT slider are where the neck pickup leads go. I don't think it would be very fun to try and get a soldering iron in there if everything else were hooked up. So now I just have to decide when I want to tear the guitar back down to finish up and change the guts out....

-VB- said:
Rgand said:
Nice.  :icon_thumright:

Did you drill out the roller to fit?

Nope, no drilling necessary. It is actually the OEM knob for Japanese Jags I think, which have different mini-pots from the USA models. Fender P/N 0264227000. I got them here:

https://www.eyguitarmusic.com/2pcsBlack-Roller-knobfit-Fender-Japan-Jazzmaster-Jaguarpot-hole-diameter-6mm_p_1244.html
I didn't know that. Good information, there.

Nice progress.

It looks like your box has control routs in it. :icon_biggrin:

Rgand said:

In fact it totally does! When I wired the first pickguard, it sat for so long that it started warping from sitting funny with the components installed. I cut holes in this box so it could sit flatter. I still had the box and, well, it's a pretty convenient way to store a loaded pickguard..... "Hello, patent clerk?"  :icon_biggrin:

Photo%20Jan%2016%2C%202%2055%2005%20PM.jpeg

Very nice work with the wiring. Impressive!
And what a great idea with the support box.  :icon_thumright:

-VB- said:
Rgand said:

In fact it totally does! When I wired the first pickguard, it sat for so long that it started warping from sitting funny with the components installed. I cut holes in this box so it could sit flatter. I still had the box and, well, it's a pretty convenient way to store a loaded pickguard..... "Hello, patent clerk?"  :icon_biggrin:

Photo%20Jan%2016%2C%202%2055%2005%20PM.jpeg
That's a cool idea. Pat Pending, then?

Back