A Jazzmaster inspired by the ULTRA Series

Verne Bunsen

Hello all! So, recently I found myself really, really smitten with the new Ultra Series Jazzmaster after seeing it demonstronated by Isaiah Sharkey in this video:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f65CHLs9mhM[/youtube]

I was teetering on the edge of impulse-purchasing one on the spot, but I put some thought into it and came to some conclusions. Which I will share momentarily. First I feel the need to preface all of this by saying that I am a big fan of the traditional Jazzmaster configuration, and all the things that many despise about it are the things I love about it. I love the big single coils with the 1Meg pots. I love the Jazzmaster vibrato; it may in fact be my favorite vibrato of them all, it goes back and forth between that and a Bigsby (Although I do prefer the Mastery vibrato and bridge to the stock Fender offerings). I love the dark/rhythm circuit. And, I have a wonderful and beautiful Jazzmaster that gives me these things. So, I'm saying all that to say this: I don't personally view the Ultra options as a replacement for the traditional Jazzmaster, but I do see them as an exciting alternative that still fits in with the family.

Ok, enough of that. As I was saying: conclusions. There was one major hangup that became a deal breaker for me, and that is the neck. I haven't held a "Modern D" profile in my hand, but by most reports it is a pretty skinny neck. I like my necks closer to a baseball bat than a popsicle stick. All of my Warmoths are '59 Roundback profile, and I love it. I wouldn't want to throw down that kind of coin for a guitar with a neck that I don't like, and with the unique heel it would probably not be a simple thing to replace it anyway. So, having talked myself off the ledge, I made a bit of a list of stuff I like about the Ultra and stuff I don't. It went something like this:

Stuff I like:

1 - Series and Phase switching with Jazzmaster pickups is, evidently, awesome. I've been really digging the series/out-of-phase thing since experimenting with it on my Nashville so this kind of hits me right in the feels.

2 - New functionality without deviating too far from the traditional aesthetic.

3 - The change in component values to 250k pots. While I do love what the Jazzmaster does with the 1Megs, lower resistance pots are a common mod and for good reason: they sound good that way too! I wouldn't want to change my current Jazzmaster components, but for a second Jazzmaster? Definitely.

4 - The aesthetic itself. While I wouldn't necessarily have landed on it myself, the blue/white/maple-with-black-binding look has been haunting my dreams.

Stuff I don't like:

1 - The neck profile is not up my alley.

2 - Changing the control layout. I'm admittedly a traditionalist where such things are concerned, and moving to a side-hole jack to make room for a second tone knob is not a choice that I would make. I'm sure that it will have many fans, and I can understand the reasons, but I don't share the enthusiasm. Personally. IMHO.

3 - Dedicating the upper circuit controls to out-of-phase pickup level trimming? Not something that grabs me as a really valuable piece of functionality.

So, with that in mind, it seems a no-brainer that the correct answer is to build a Jazzmaster inspired by the Ultra, but tweaked to my personal preferences. Isn't that what this hobby is all about? After a few sleepless nights, I worked out a wiring that I like better. I will share it once I get it into a halfway readable/presentable drawing, the current version resembles a bowl of spaghetti, but the goal is this:

Lower circuit with 250k pots, standard 3-Way toggle. Upper slider reverses phase of the neck pickup. Lower circuit tone pot S1 Switch puts both pickups in series (in- or out-of-phase, depending on the slider position) and swaps to the upper controls with 1Meg volume and 250k tone. The 1Meg volume should keep the series sound out of the mud, and if desired it can be pre-set to its own volume and tone settings.

I have some gear that needs to be sold finance the project, but I have so far acquired these:

Photo%20Dec%2024%2C%2010%2033%2030%20AM.jpeg

Hey, builds have begun on less.....

I think it will be! I am coming to terms with selling my ES-137 to make it happen. I am mostly committed... When I start waffling, I go back on to the Warmoth builder and start trying to decide between Candy Blue, Candy Turquoise, and Spectra Blue...

This sounds like a good project to follow. I like your color choices but I'd probably choose between the candy turquoise or spectra blue with that pickguard. But then, that candy blue is a killer, too. It'll be fun to see which one you actually pull the trigger on. I know you don't like the side jack idea but have you considered a Strat jack plate, flipped over? I did that on my JM and really like it. It would allow you that extra control if you want one.

eMHxLnp.jpg

-VB- said:
...but I have so far acquired these: ...builds have begun on less.....
Builds have definitely begun with less. I seem to remember one member posting that he started with a single switch! Good luck as you proceed, keep us posted.

I remember the inverted Strat jack discussion, seems like it was a Mark Knopfler thing maybe? I will definitely keep that in mind...

All those blues look beautiful, I guess it is a good thing I’ve got time to mull it over. This lays it out pretty good:

Photo%20Dec%2024%2C%2020%2001%2048%20PM.jpg

Left to right it is Candy Blue, Candy Turquoise, Spectra Blue. Builder image on top, stock photo on bottom. I think the Spectra Blue is darker than I’m after, and while the Candy Blue is probably really close to the Fender Cobra Blue, it seems a little too bright for me. I think the Candy Turquoise is right in the Goldilocks Zone...

-VB- said:
I think it will be! I am coming to terms with selling my ES-137 to make it happen. I am mostly committed... When I start waffling, I go back on to the Warmoth builder and start trying to decide between Candy Blue, Candy Turquoise, and Spectra Blue...

Laughing at myself as we probably all spend some time on that builder. I am not normally even a JM and offset type of person and lately, I have been mocking up a possible future offset project (others to get done first though :)

Looking forward to seeing this come together and your wiring etc.

-VB- said:
I remember the inverted Strat jack discussion, seems like it was a Mark Knopfler thing maybe? I will definitely keep that in mind...

All those blues look beautiful, I guess it is a good thing I’ve got time to mull it over. This lays it out pretty good:

Photo%20Dec%2024%2C%2020%2001%2048%20PM.jpg

Left to right it is Candy Blue, Candy Turquoise, Spectra Blue. Builder image on top, stock photo on bottom. I think the Spectra Blue is darker than I’m after, and while the Candy Blue is probably really close to the Fender Cobra Blue, it seems a little too bright for me. I think the Candy Turquoise is right in the Goldilocks Zone...

The inverted jack was an Alex Lifeson thing, I don't recall Knopfler doing it.  If you had angled jacks as a Gibson type player inverting the jack was a simple solution to plugging in an angled jack that in the normal orientation was a no go.

All of the blues look great. Candy turquoise does seem like a good choice and like porridge is probably bear approved.

Happy Christmas to one and all  :eek:ccasion14:

stratamania said:
The inverted jack was an Alex Lifeson thing, I don't recall Knopfler doing it.  If you had angled jacks as a Gibson type player inverting the jack was a simple solution to plugging in an angled jack that in the normal orientation was a no go.
Although Lifeson did it, I first saw it when a friend of mine did his around 1970 or so. Likely he got the idea from Lifeson. He did it just for easy access to the jack. I also did it for that reason: easier to unplug. It's certainly not in the way where those jacks are placed.

stratamania said:
Merry Christmas, everyone.

Rgand said:
stratamania said:
Although Lifeson did it, I first saw it when a friend of mine did his around 1970 or so. Likely he got the idea from Lifeson. He did it just for easy access to the jack. I also did it for that reason: easier to unplug. It's certainly not in the way where those jacks are placed.

stratamania said:
Merry Christmas, everyone.

1970 would be prior to the time Lifeson was known for doing so. Probably others have done it over the years but like most things, someone gets to be known for it.

stratamania said:
1970 would be prior to the time Lifeson was known for doing so. Probably others have done it over the years but like most things, someone gets to be known for it.
That sounds about right. A good idea is generally realized by more than one person.

Love my jazzmaster build.  Still playing it to the exclusion of all my other git’s.  When I pick up another I’ll write a review.

The ES-137 is officially listed on Reverb. It kinda hurt to do it, but it is what must be. My son (who's favorite guitar is, of course, my ES-137...) asked me how I could possibly bring myself to sell it. I told him that, as with his vast toy collection, something has to go to make room for something new to come in. Dad is holding himself to the same standards that he must, is good, no? And, in this case, the outgoing thing is needed to finance the incoming thing. But why THAT guitar? That was a harder one to answer. It is my only Gibson scale neck and it is narrower than my other necks. I don't play it much because, despite being beautiful, and sounding fantastic, it is less comfortable to me than my other guitars. It is without a doubt a gorgeous guitar, but ultimately I don't have the luxury of keeping guitars around just because they are pretty. And sound great. If it seems like I'm still convincing myself, it is only because I am still convincing myself.....

https://reverb.com/item/30869599-gibson-es-137-classic-2003-blue-burst

Photo%20Dec%2026%2C%202%2042%2008%20PM.jpeg

In other news, I'm pretty sure that I have the wiring worked out for this project. And I was even able to draw it. A bit of a nightmare under the hood to keep things sleek and elegant on the outside... With so many connections on the S1 switch, I made a checklist to help keep them straight.

Jazzmaster%20-%20Series%20Parallel.pdf

JM%20S-P%20S1%20Checklist.pdf

I have all of the components (except for the pickups, but they are coming...) so I can work on getting it wired up and tested in the near-ish future. But it seems to check out as I follow the paths. With the S1 "UP", both pickups negatives go to ground and the positives go to the toggle switch, switch output goes to lower volume/tone, lower volume/tone goes to the jack. With the S1 "DOWN", bridge negative is grounded, bridge positive goes to neck negative, neck positive goes to upper volume/tone, upper volume/tone goes to the jack. Meanwhile the neck pickup phase is dictated by the upper slider independent of the S1 switch. Seems pretty straight forward.... but no plan survives first contact with the enemy.....

That switching sounds like a good plan. It might work out as expected. :icon_thumright:

You shouldn't have too much trouble getting a happy buyer for that ES-137. It's a fine looking guitar.

Rgand said:
That switching sounds like a good plan. It might work out as expected. :icon_thumright:

You shouldn't have too much trouble getting a happy buyer for that ES-137. It's a fine looking guitar.

I’m hoping for both of those observations to prove true! In my somewhat biased opinion, it is the best looking ES-137 presently listed on Reverb or FleaBay.... I know modifications sometimes work against you when you go to sell, but the Bigsby is on a VibraMate plate and the original TOM/STP are included, and while the pickups have been replaced with Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers, the stock pickups are also included, so I’m thinking they’ll work for me here...

-VB- said:
Rgand said:

I’m hoping for both of those observations to prove true! In my somewhat biased opinion, it is the best looking ES-137 presently listed on Reverb or FleaBay.... I know modifications sometimes work against you when you go to sell, but the Bigsby is on a VibraMate plate and the original TOM/STP are included, and while the pickups have been replaced with Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers, the stock pickups are also included, so I’m thinking they’ll work for me here...
You didn't do anything that can't be put back to original. I can't imagine it being hard to sell.

ES-137 sold today! And I was excited and not heartbroken, which was good. That first reaction is very telling... I’m going to try and get it out the door tomorrow, and I offered a 1-week evaluation period, so ideally I’m placing a Warmoth order in about a week! Better start figuring things out...

Using my formidable image manipulation skills, I have generated this rendering:

Photo%20Dec%2028%2C%2011%2043%2003%20AM.jpg

I dig it. I am thinking that Candy Turquoise on Alder with the Pearloid Solid pickguard and a Vintage Tint Gloss Birdseye/Birdseye neck (with black binding) shall be the recipe. The bridge and trem will be Mastery (polished, not brushed). The knobs will be chrome Tele-style flat tops, to accomodate what I can get in an S1 knob. I would love a black witch hat S1, but I am not holding my breath... The pickups are coming with white covers and I have a set of aged white on hand, I will have to see how stuff looks when it is all in hand.

The ES-137 is all packed up and ready to begin its voyage. Not too far, just about 4 hours north of me. If he’d been a little closer I’d have delivered it by hand!

Congrats to the sale and thumbs up for the awesome Jazzmaster you've got planned. Looks great.

Back