9 years old and never played?!

Johnhamdun

http://cgi.ebay.com/WARMOTH-LP-CUSTOM-BUILT-ELECTRIC-HOLLOW-BODY-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ280253746954QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Description: This is a NEVER USED custom built ... This guitar was custom built in 1999 and bought in 2001.  It cost $2500 brand new without the case. The case was $350.

Does anyone have any idea why someone would pay $2500 for a guitar without ever playing it? Is he an amputee? If this happens to belong to someone on here, I mean no offense. Its a cool guitar, but whats the back story?

that did NOT cost 2500 to build, and he's lying... for one it doesn't have a floyd..

JamesL said:
that did NOT cost 2500 to build, and he's lying... for one it doesn't have a floyd..
True especially in '99, prices weren't near what they are now....And that's and interesting choice of bridges, definately not a floyd, but a Schaller 456. I've often thought of trying one out but not on a LP...This seems as perpostrous as the Warmoth Puke-o-caster.....

Well, it's entirely possible he DID pay $2500 for it cause he sounds pretty dumb. It didn't cost $2500 to build.... Maybe something's wrong with my monitor, but that's a really weird & nasty color from here, like a pastel pinkish brick? Cream of tomato soup-puke? Yuk - YOU buy it, O.K.? :hello2:

Funny how the passing of time clouds one's memory of how much something that you are selling cost all those years ago!!!

Funky Phil said:
Funny how the passing of time clouds one's memory of how much something that you are selling cost all those years ago!!!

That is funny. I've heard that lying can have a similar effect on your story! :laughing3:

1.) He obvious doesn't know where the clue train station is and MIGHT have paid some exorbitant price to start out with.
2.) As to the question "9 years old and never played?" Sure, happens all the time, how do you think the Fender Custom Shop stays in business? I knew a lawyer in Dallas that had hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of vintage guitars hanging in his "music room" who's entire repertoire consisted of the riff from "Smoke on the Water".

jackthehack said:
2.) As to the question "9 years old and never played?" Sure, happens all the time, how do you think the Fender Custom Shop stays in business? I knew a lawyer in Dallas that had hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of vintage guitars hanging in his "music room" who's entire repertoire consisted of the riff from "Smoke on the Water".

Haha, next time I have a brick in my hand I now know whose window its going through. My point was more that while it is hard for me to imagine someone paying that much money for a guitar just to not play it, its much less believable to me that someone would buy a Warmoth and not play it. There is really no collectors appeal to a Warmoth (as far as I can see) unless it was like Ken's first build. that would be a pretty cool guitar to have...

Yeah you would THINK that anyone that's going to build a guitar might want to play it. I think it's possible that some people just like making them though. Kind of like model building or whatever. It's a hobby. I'd much rather have someone else do it (even though I did most of mine myself) and then play it. Playing the guitar is way more fun that making it, for me anyway.

Anyway I'm going to vote that the guy is a liar and not as clueless. Mainly because I think he wants to make it appear more valuable to the ignorant.

there's no way that thing should cost more than $1300 if that. My lp was $1500 and it has body and neck binding, 3 different colors of paint and more expensive pickups.

edit - actually maybe the inlays and ebony would bump it up a bit - but still it can't be much more than $1500

Currently, about a grand + pickup costs; doesn't specify what PUs used; back then significantly less.

Back