'54 Z-Caster

Patriot54 said:
028_zps1b85bb73.jpg
Awesome!!! :D :D :D

After many delays, I'm finally at the assembly stage. But I didn't anticipate dealing with "push in" style tuner bushings with grooves on them. The holes are drilled for 11/32" but the bushings on the Fender vintage tuners seem a little too big to push in even with a C-clamp which is what I planned to use. So far all I've done is to use a piece of rolled up sandpaper to remove the bit of finish around the edge of the holes. Any advice before I use a C-clamp tomorrow? What's the best way to get these things in? I'm nervous to mess it up by drilling the hole a little bigger.

I'd stick with the sandpaper wrapped around a dowel, BiC pen, knitting needle etc. There's not really any great force seeking to remove them, just tight is good. And unless you're planning on playing underwater or stirring the punch with it, the amount of water that may get absorbed through the bit of wood left naked by taking off a bit of finish - well, if the wax isn't comforting enough you can toothpick-paint in a bit of superglue, poly, even filch a bit of clear nail polish if it's comforting. Though careful with nail polish, it does funny stuff to other finishes. S'lovely as this thing is, you might as well take the time at the end, even though it's tough.

Project updates (photos coming soon)

Got the tuner bushings in - one of them got a little dented from using the C-clamp but it shouldn't be too noticeable in the end. I realized that I had to make the holes slightly bigger and I found a video where the guy used a wood reamer. They didn't have any at the hardware store, so I got a round file that was the perfect size and used channel locks to push the bushings in, with layers of foam and cardboard to protect the finish. It took so long due to the level of anxiety over using pliers and a power drill around a Tonar-finished flame maple neck  :sad1: But so far so good.

Even though I used a Strat pickguard as a template, there was a lot of guesswork to adapt it to the Z-body and new pickguard shape. And I have to use a Dremel router now to notch the depth of where the switch will be because the control rout wasn't deep enough. If I ever do another project like this, I'd use clear plastic as a template first.

Then I just have to cut the switch slot in the pickguard and drill the hole through the body for the ground wire, and the hard parts will be done.

:headbang:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but any news on this one? It's definitely one of my favorite builds on here by far.

NLD09 said:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but any news on this one? It's definitely one of my favorite builds on here by far.
One of mine too. Maybe Tonar could try getting in touch as he will have had more dealings with him than most...?

I just dropped off my guitar for wiring and setup - should have some pics of the finished product by the weekend.

On a side note, I accidentally stumbled on a relicing technique while finishing this project. I was trying to blow off the dust with a can of dust spray and some of the liquid C02 spit out onto the finish. I almost had a heart attack thinking I wrecked this nice finish that Tonar did but after it dried it was not that noticeable and will be covered by the pickguard. But if anyone intentionally wants to relic a finish, try doing that with C02 and it will crackle the clear coat like you would see on an old guitar that has aged.

Also, does anyone know how to drill holes without chipping the finish? I was drilling the holes for the pickguard and I used tape but it still left some nasty chips right around the screwholes. Once again, it will fortunately be covered by the pickguard but I would like to avoid this when I drill for the strap holders and string tree.

Serious GOTM contender right here!  I'd have done up a black p/g, but who cares?  :dontknow:  That guitar looks amazing!

Thanks - it looks sweet with all the parts finally together and I can't wait to see it strung up and play it.

After all the time it took to rout the body, have it painted, and shape the pickguard, I decided not to add the blade switch because the rout wasn't deep enough and I didn't want to risk ruining the guitar or pickguard, so I made the second tone knob into a rotary switch. It's a 6-way switch and the 6th position will have all the pickups on at the same time.

Finally done! And thanks to Tonar for making this crazy dream a reality :) I'll take more photos soon

edit: And I settled on having a 3-way toggle - the 6-way switch would have been overkill

Attachments

• 100_3705.jpg
    100_3705.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 48
:blob7:

Ya know - that'd be really sweet if you modified the headstock to pick up the lower bout curve / cutaway flare.

Back